E340 panels? kits? PCB?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

goom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by goom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:I used a laquer stik to do the white infill for $2. Front panel express gave me free gummy bears! :banana:
How did you use the laquer stik? I googled it, and it looks like it has a wide applicator. Do you just paint it on everywhere and somehow wipe off the excess? It doesn't smear that way?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:33 am

its a real mess. I had to do it a few times. apply with a heavy hand. wait 5 or 10 minutes and wipe it off carefully. apply again. wipe. apply the 3rd time. each time you do it your leaving more gunk in the groove. its difficult to get the right pressure on the paper towel to get the panel %100 clean without messing up the lettering. it says you can use mineral spirits to clean the excess but I did not do it for fear of dissolving my letters. worst case scenario is you get a hazy white steam punk goth look all over your panel :lol:
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

goom wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:I used a laquer stik to do the white infill for $2. Front panel express gave me free gummy bears! :banana:
How did you use the laquer stik? I googled it, and it looks like it has a wide applicator. Do you just paint it on everywhere and somehow wipe off the excess? It doesn't smear that way?
I've only done one panel. You have to rub it over the engravings and make sure it fills. Then I used a credit card edge to scrape off the excess. That does a reasonable job of removing most of the excess. Then I let it dry a bit and used a cloth but you can't run it over then engravings, just up to the edges. Finally I used a cotton stick with thinner to clean up any spots that remained. While it does save money, I still buy mine filled as it is just extra work.

Dave

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Motm e340 front by sduck409, on Flickr

Motm e340 back by sduck409, on Flickr

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

I need some part numbers for those standoffs. Dave did his with plastic spacers and a bolt that goes through everything. are you using the standoffs that have male on one end with female on the other end? do you tighten them up with little flat wrenches? did you use a bridechamber bracket?

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Ok, yes they are just regular bridechamber 3 pot brackets. I go through a lot of these. A regular drill for the mounting holes, a dremel to clean up the holes, and tin snips to cut to size.

The nuts and bolts are just the 6-32 x 1 1/4" round head combos that come in bags of 8 at home depot. These cost like 97 cents each, I just buy mults of each size. I usually use the 1/2" size for single pcb's. Note that most pcb manufacturers seem to think that 4-40 size is good enough, which it probably is, but I like the extra size. You have to drill out the holes if you go with 6-32.

The standoffs are threaded hexagonal aluminum things that mouser sells - part number 534-2208 for one size - look that one up, follow the link to the catalog page for other sizes. They also have them for 4-40 screws - make sure you get the right kind. For this project I used 3/8" and 1/2" standoffs, 4 of each. Home depot also has nylon spacers and washers in various sizes, I like to keep some of those around for situations where they might be appropriate - like my SCMRCD project recently, where there wasn't any good spaces for mounting holes, and I had to put the screws up close to components.

Also note that with these screws, there was some extraneous contact being made with a resistor at the bottom right one in my picture above - I put a tiny piece of electrical tape there to prevent potential shorts.

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

MOTM E340 Cloud Generator

Post by davebr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 am

I finished wiring up my E340 Cloud Generator so I put final pictures of the panel and module on my E340 page. I made an identical bracket as my E350 so I just put thumbnails of the bracket details.

I used my new notcher and a brake for the sheet metal which made the job much easier. Since many of my brackets are small I just just the notcher as a shear. It works great.

Dave

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:28 am

ok so I don't think anyone posted the DIY manual for the E340 yet so here it is

http://www.synthtech.com/euro/e340/e340_diy.pdf

the standoffs that come with the kit are 0.375 inch female/female. dave used plastic spaces with one continuous bolt going through everything. I'm on mouser right now looking at 4-40 0.375 inch female/male hex standoffs. euro owners are using the front panel to mount the 340. 5U users are using a mounting bracket like the bridechamber brackets. so 3 layers means you need two standoffs and two screws with one of the standoffs F/F and the other M/F. then x 4 for the 4 corners. mouser part 761-4532-440-AL-7 has a 3/16 threaded section. this should be enough to go through a pcb and grab thread on the other side. all the other stuff is included in the kit. let me know if this is wrong. I'm just guessing.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:48 am

I think you're over complicating things. Go to home depot or ace hardware or wherever and just buy some 4-40 nut & bolts sets in several sizes, around what you think is right. I think I used 1 1/4", but it might have been 1 1/2". Then order plain aluminum standoffs from mouser- 534-1892 & 534-1893 - 4 of each (you may already have some of these from the kit). These and a drill for the bracket holes and you're good to go.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Im already putting a big order in so $1.50 is fine for 4 standoffs. If this works, I might do all my 2 layer projects like this.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”