MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klangwerk?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Klangwerk?
Kwote
got my klang today. only used it for less than 2 hours but i have a question,

on the carrier freq cv it seems to be cool when the source switch is set to internal but when i flip it to external seems like nothing. what kinda source is ideal to feed it so i can get some results?

ps: fuckin A! love the Klang. specially the LED! that shit's gonna go in the photo album. the PCB is fuckin HUGE! haha.
Muff Wiggler
hehe it is a huge pcb

you are correct - when the carrier switch is set to 'external', the carrier freq cv input is useless - because that cv input is used to set the frequency of the internal carrier oscillator. when you flip the switch to 'external', you have disconnected the internal oscillator

in truth, the cv input is still acting on the internal oscillator to set the frequency. however, with the switch in 'external' setting, you cannot hear the internal oscillator's effects, as it has been disconnected from the audio processing path

for the cv input, try an LFO, then en envelope generator, then white noise. when you start with the lfo, put the lfo through an attenuator, and then to the cv input on the Klang Werk. You use the LFO's speed control to set the rate, and you use the attenuator to set the depth.

fun 8)
Kwote
werd. well i guess i pretty much figured it all out then. i did plenty of lfo shit, but i don't have an eg or white noise module yet.

my favorite patch that i discovered so far goes like this:

external signal --> I/O --> Mult --> Klangwerk in, Mult --> Klang ext.

set to DC, boost the Klang's signal a bit and adjust the mix to taste

AWESOME DISTORTION!
tragedybysyntax
Curious... could we get a clip of the klank werk doing some damage? always wondered about getting this or getting the moog. thanks!!! smile
Kwote
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Curious... could we get a clip of the klank werk doing some damage? always wondered about getting this or getting the moog. thanks!!! smile

for sure. i'm just waiting on my VCO which should arrive tomorrow. then i'll get started on a new track which will of course feature the Klang.

perhaps consumed and muff could post something too? 8)
Kwote
so yo!! per request:

http://www.kwotemusic.com/CanWeSayKlang.mp3

this is courtesy of an lfo running the oct switch on my VCO as well as two other tracks. the first track was lightly klanged and the others are more in your face. i also ran everything through the stonzphase so i hope that doesn't distract too much.

here's a cool image i took, cropped and resized of the klang the first night i set it up. makes an AWESOME tiled wallpaper.
J.w.M.
Yeah, I think after hearing that demo it's fair to say that I want a Klang Werk more than ever. Sounds great! Thanks for the demo, and the stonze only adds to the coolness.
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
Yeah, I think after hearing that demo it's fair to say that I want a Klang Werk more than ever. Sounds great! Thanks for the demo, and the stonze only adds to the coolness.

yes! i'm very glad i got this module. with it nearing the end of it's final run i shudder to think what i may have paid on the used market. it's kind of the hell i've been experiencing with looking for a Time Machine.

i really need a ps500, an eg and a mixer module and then no more excuses, i'll be steady savin up for a TM!
Kwote
okay i think i read somewhere from muff recently the klang can be used as a vca.

i did this tonight and am very happy about it's duality. at first i didn't know how to envelope it successfully but once i figured it out i've officially claimed the klang to be a full fledged VCA with gain to boot!!

just make sure you input a signal, switch to DC, stick an EG into the Carrier CV and turn the mix control FCW.
Chuck E. Jesus
sounds all warm and fuzzy, very "non vst"...analog(ue) modulars rule wink
Kwote
for sure. i actually started on vst's and a crappy digital casio i got for free. but analog and especially modulars have totally shitted on all that.

anyways, i love the klang as a ringmod. very versatile. but i had to add that note last night about the VCA functionality. i've been really wanting an extra VCA in my system but didn't understand how much of a VCA the Klang actually is until now.

the biggest thing i didn't get was turning the mix pot FCW in external mode. it's not mentioned in the manual. that's the main reason i let you guys in on it if you haven't figured it out already.
Muff Wiggler
yes indeed you can, and yep you want that mix pot up!

inverse - you can use most VCAs as a pretty decent ringmod!

Put the carrier into the VCA's audio input

Put the modulator (audio rate) into the CV input

take the modulated output from the VCA's output
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

this is where i screwed up before. i had tried the patch you're mentioning prior to getting a klang but was putting cv into the cv input instead of audio. i'll patch a sine from my VCO into the VCA CV tonight.

thanks.
Kwote
also i had to mention this because awhile back on modularsynth.net i was asking about modules you could use for amplification.

i didn't have a klang at the time. consumed(aka loop cycle) had tested this application out for me and said it wouldn't work.

indeed when i got the klang i had found similar results seeing no real difference when turning up the gain knob. it was the mix pot all along. with it FCW the Gain can be applied. it's sweet!!
consumed
that sound sample sounds good--it gives me ideas about setting up new patches with it. until now, ive only used the klang for tweaking drum loops.

yes the pcb is really big, about the same size of the time machine pcb.
i took my dremel to the rear corners of the pcb and rounded them off, so i dont have any more problems with the pcb touching the rear rails, which seemed to be causing some strain on the pcb.
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:

yeah didnt know that, sweet! (sorry kwote--but your IO is good to have in your rig anyway grin )

Quote:

this technique gives ring-mod-type effects, but the carrier is present in the ringmodulated signal as well. the motm-190 is nice in that the first vca has a switch for normal (linear response vca) operation and ring modulation, which (I believe) suppresses the carrier signal and just gives the sum and difference between carrier and modulator at the output.
Kwote
gain has become much less of an issue since i went back to recording direct to my PC and ditched my memory man pedal.

but it's still appreciated on the Klang!

I love the I/O! i use it as a gate mult of sorts. i can insert the gate from my midi/cv converter into it's input, send the out to my EG gate in, gate out to an lfo gate and it's 2nd envelope out to the other lfo gate. since the 2nd envelope on the I/O has a lag setting essentially i could get delayed gate responses(haven't tried lag yet for this application).

or i simply use it for an extra envelope since i only have one dedicated EG module right now.

also i like using it for an extra attenuator. typically i'll run an lfo waveform through it and then attenuate.

of course all this has to be done in the x10 setting. x100 & x500 is only for audio applications.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
that sound sample sounds good--it gives me ideas about setting up new patches with it. until now, ive only used the klang for tweaking drum loops.

i use it a lot. often times for just adding a bit of subtle character to my VCO.

i did a track recently where i was able to run a kick and a snare like sound simultaneously clocked by my 2 lfo's and Stonzphase. the kick was ran from the vco through the filter and the snare through the klang. it started out more as a tightly enveloped sine and with some adjustments towards the middle of the track became much more snare like.

it's gonna be on my upcoming EP. i'll post a preview of the whole project next month.

ps: it's not this http://www.kwotemusic.com/pseudosequence.mp3

lol
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

i did this with my dual linear vca and it worked like a charm. however i had to use my filthy filtre with FCW Q as my modulator.

one thing i want to point out, while the Filthy Filtre has a lot of options making it a versatile source for ringmodulation, i wasn't able to attenuate the effect. seems to have suppressed the carrier pretty well.

oddly enough i found a way to attenuate it's effects with the I/O but i had the I/O at the wrong setting(x100). when turning it FCCW there's no sound output from the VCA. close to FCW and you get the VCO's original signal with no ringmodulation. however i probably won't do it again as the I/O should really only be processing cv at the x10 setting.

nother funny note. in order to envelope the sound i ran it through the Klang in VCA mode which in turn made me think of something. i then tried the VCA ringmod patch on the Klang in VCA mode. I KLANGED THE KLANG in other words. lol
Cat-A-Tonic
I patched up a really nice snare drum with the Klang.

Trigger Drum.
Send the higher (2nd) channel of the CGS Dual Drum to Klang in.
Send WHITE noise from CGS Digital Noise (or Improb. Drive) to Ext. Freq. in on Klang.
Send DIGITAL noise to CV carrier wave on Klang.
Set the Mix knob and envelopes of Klang middlish. Tweek to taste.
Out to VCA.
Kwote
had to mention this.

i was having trouble using the Klang as VCA recently. wasn't getting any signal with the mixpot FCW.

finally realized the reason it worked before was because i was sending an EG to the External In.

i had wanted to use it as a VCA without opening and closing it. so what i had to realize is it needs a constant gate to stay open. otherwise... nothing.

pretty cool as a VCA nonetheless. gyeah!
spacemod
I have a Klangwerk and a Binary Zone on the way! Yeah!

Looking forward to plugging these into my Blacet/Wiard setup and using with my MicroBrute.

Also curious in how it compares to the Technosaurus Effexon that I have.

hihi
markfrancombe
Id just like to chip in and say that the Klang is by FAR the ebst ring mod I own ... for drums... the ability to env follow an audio input makes it for me...

that is all..

MArk
tuj
yeah I got two.

help
spacemod
Got my new Frac Modules plugged in and started to play with both the Klangwerk and the Binary Zone.

Once I have a good sample demo, I will put it up.

Just started my 4th panel of Frac after a 10 year lull... getting excited again about making noises!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2