MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Paia Gear Value
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Paia Gear Value
Tall Midget
Alright i'm talking with a dude who's got a Paia modular for sale. Can anybody tell me what the modular system is worth? He's telling me to make an offer, I don't want to offend the guy with a price that's too low. I searched the boards and I think I read one quote that a Paia system might be worth $200-$400 depending on the quality of the soldering job. He's also got a vocoder and flange and some other paia gear in a case for sale too which I included a picture of. Anyway here's some pictures, Any help would be appreciated, thanks! thumbs up

valis
I think the 2720 system would go for between $200 - $400ish. It'd be closer to $200 for a personal sale and closer to $400ish on something like ebay. But I have seen people try to sell them for quite a bit more. I'm not sure if they ever succeed or not. A full 4700 system would fetch a little more. I personally think that $200 - $240 is fair for that system.

I'm not quite sure about the vocoder. The last time I checked these were still being produced although the one in the picture certainly looks older. It's got the oldschool knobs. I'd think that it'd go for between $60 - $120. The other stuff would be between $20 - $45 depending. The flange might go for a little more. I do frequently follow this stuff online just in case you're wondering.

I like the 2720 system but do beware, the oscillator drifts and the LPF and VCA are horrid. The power is +18v & +/-9v and that psu is crap (you can run it at 15v instead of 18v if really needed). The 2720 system also uses pin jacks which I prefer to replace with bananas. In fact, every time I get a new 2720 or 4700 module, I replace the pin jacks and recap it. The banana jack option is up to you but I'd be prepared to recap the machine and address the noisy psu upon buying it. I do really like the sound of the old PAiA modules (especially with a few mods and additions) but if you have other expenses or the seller wants vintage prices, you should think hard about the purchase.

I do have a ton of documentation on all the old PAiA modules so let me know if you need some help. I also have lots of details on my own mods, calibrations, samples, builds, etc. that I can provide.

Good luck!
minime123
looks like he added a huge hinge and lid to the top panel. thats a shame as the orange metal top panel actually looks pretty cool.
good luck with the purchase. paias are low budget but are fun regardless.
mini
iopop
What would one have to pay for unused 2720 or 4700 pcbs? Are they even possible to get?
minime123
"What would one have to pay for unused 2720 or 4700 pcbs? Are they even possible to get?"

im sure someone bought kits they never assembled.
valis
What happened to Tall Midget? Did he abandon the thread that he started?

minime123 wrote:
looks like he added a huge hinge and lid to the top panel. thats a shame as the orange metal top panel actually looks pretty cool.

Nice eye! I have a 4700 system with many 2720 modules but I don't actually own a 2720 keyboard setup. I've always wanted to play with one. I totally agree, the orange looked cool!

iopop wrote:
What would one have to pay for unused 2720 or 4700 pcbs? Are they even possible to get?

Well if they do it's not very often. Sometimes you see a board come through that just has a couple resistors soldered to it but for the most part, if you had your heart set on building a synthesizer, you went to work after you received your module in the mail. It's not like today where we have so many different cheap pcb options that we have a giant backlog of stuff to get built.

Interestingly, wiggler Dego has made a couple PAiA perf board layouts which he probably wouldn't mind sharing. The original pcb layouts for the 2720 stuff is also available.

I haven't actually ever found any unused 2720 or 4700 pcbs but here's a couple of old synthspin pcbs

iopop
valis: Thanks for the info and you somehow confirmed my suspicion, that untouched PCBs are pretty rare. Been browsing old PAIA stuff a lot lately and it struck me that doing them on strip board would be quite possible. I really dig the panel design and small enclosures. Maybe a project for 2013.. hmmm.....
Tall Midget
valis wrote:
What happened to Tall Midget? Did he abandon the thread that he started?

Oh i'm still here, I was going to respond to the thread but I got distracted. Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I think the guy probably wants vintage prices for it though but we'll see, he bought the modules off eBay and enclosure from a music store so who knows how much he paid.
bwhittington
Tall Midget wrote:
He's telling me to make an offer, I don't want to offend the guy with a price that's too low.

When people do that to me, I say, "It's you widget, what would you'd like for it."

When they say no, no, make an offer, whatever's fair, I say "I really wouldn't know where to start. Do you have an idea what you'd like for it?"

When negotiating, he who speaks first loses.

That will be all for today's lesson.

Cheers,
Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1