MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Autechre
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author Autechre
perky
Anybody here knows what modular gear they have?

lol
Kent
1) MachineDrum Module...

2) ?

lol
GeneralBigBag
Monomachine
Nord Modular
MPC something or other
Max/MSP

Last 2 albums are mostly Elektron I think...
panda30y
I saw them perform live a few years ago right after Untilted came out. I was lucky enough to be right in front of them, and they only had 3 or 4 pieces of equipment from what I can remember. I was directly in front of Sean Booth I believe and he was only using a monomachine and machinedrum. I noticed Rob Brown was using an mpc i believe and possibly something else like a nord modular. I saw them a few years earlier as well after they released Confield, and they were using a bit more gear then. Laptops and a Nord Lead 2 were all that I can specifically remember as I was about 16 then and didn't know my gear quite as well I like to think I do now.

But from what I understand the last album Quaristice was mostly Elektron Machinedrum and Monomachine. Just shows you what you can do w/ just a bit of equipment.
perky
I saw that liveset too panda30y, in Berlin 2005. It was the best music i have ever heard!

They used MachineDrum and MonoMachine there too, yea basically the same setup they use now.

I just kinda wondered what modular stuff they have in their studio, if any.
ignatius
perky wrote:

lol

from that sound on sound interview a couple years ago they said that they have a big analogue systems modular + some other eurorack modules. their whole gear list is some place on line.
futuresoundsystems
Since Untilted, their main set up (especially live) has been:

Elektron Machinedrum
Elektron Monomachine
Nord Modular G2X
Akai MPC
Bitstream 3X

For Quaristice I think they used a bit of everything actually. There is a lot of Elektron stuff in there, but apparently there's also quite a lot of old school stuff. For example, the drums on Tankakern are TR-606.
perky
Exactly

I was just wondering if anyone had like a paparazi photo from their studio lying around...

LOL i wonder how much a picture like that would be studied over and over again lol

ignatius wrote:
perky wrote:

lol

from that sound on sound interview a couple years ago they said that they have a big analogue systems modular + some other eurorack modules. their whole gear list is some place on line.
astroschnautzer
I remember reading an interview of them in the late nineties where they said they would never choose an digital oscillator over an analog, then a couple of years later they make almost everything digital, weird....
wetterberg
don't believe anything you read about their setup, hehe.

Lots of MaxMSP and every synth they can get their hands on in the studio - that more or less describes that whole genre, doesn't it? smile
zerosum
Quote:
that more or less describes that whole genre, doesn't it?

LOL yes hihi

I love autechre
Luka
what are your top 5 aE tracks?

off the top of my head

1. pen expers - confield
2. Surripere - draft 7.30
3. Laughing Quarter - envane ep
4. Acroyear2 - lp5
5. 6IE.CR - draft 7/30
wetterberg
Luka wrote:
what are your top 5 aE tracks?

off the top of my head

1. pen expers - confield
2. Surripere - draft 7.30
3. Laughing Quarter - envane ep
4. Acroyear2 - lp5
5. 6IE.CR - draft 7/30

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
throw Ganz Graf in there and you've got a fucking DEAL!
we're not worthy

Pen Expers has EVERYTHING - it has IT ALL! I'm pretty close to saying it's the perfect electronica track. love
Luka
yeh ganz graf is killer
i usually skip that one out of lists as it is so obvious
my grandma even likes that one hyper
b3nsf
amber album is my fave love
Ranxerox
Hmmm... I've got half their albums, but haven't listened in years. I remember really liking LP5 when it came out. Saw them play in London last year, but was a bit wasted at the time - don't remember much, but was struck that they sounded kind of like guys half their age would sound if they were trying to sound like Autechre. Then again, I think that about everyone who uses a machinedrum (is that too harsh ?? twisted )

There was a good and interesting interview a few years ago in SOS that went into their gear and habits in quite a bit of detail. I think the times have caught up with them now though, if they are using modulars they're doing all the same things with them as everyone else.
panda30y
I would have to say my favorite album is Confield, but I also love Tri Repetae ++. I feel that ep7 get less love than it deserves.
astroschnautzer
wetterberg wrote:
don't believe anything you read about their setup, hehe.

I think it was in a future music mag, well they said it but they had digital gear in the "gear index", nord products forexample. You just got an impression in the interview that these guys are pretty much analogue purists, it may be the reporter that has given this impression from a side note or something, so I was pretty suprised reading in a newer interview that they use max and digital stuff almost only, don`t know about their sound or genre as I heard their music last time over 10 years ago, have to check btw, mayby I then understand better...
krisp14u
I First saw them in 94 the most unreal Electronic act I have ever seen it was emotional, moving, far out or maybe it was them funky mushrooms that grow round hear screaming goo yo
I had never heard of them before that I think they where first on the bill and they totally stole the whole night
I have seen them live a few times and it’s been ok but really they have been a bit of a let down
For me incunabula and amber (they remind me of my youth and Incunabula is fantastic for soothing new born babies at 4am Trust me on this one I’m a father )

Some SOS interviews

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/nov97/autechre.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/autechre.htm

It says something about Doepfer modules I would love to take a peek in there studio and would be so disappointed if there was no serious hardware
panda30y
krisp14u wrote:

It says something about Doepfer modules I would love to take a peek in there studio and would be so disappointed if there was no serious hardware

I don't know, I think I would be more excited to see that they did all their music w/ basic stuff. But I don't know what you define as serious hardware? I know they use machinedrums and monomachines, and they may not be serious modular gear, but I still consider that serious gear.
krisp14u
panda30y wrote:
krisp14u wrote:

I don't know, I think I would be more excited to see that they did all their music w/ basic stuff. But I don't know what you define as serious hardware? I know they use machinedrums and monomachines, and they may not be serious modular gear, but I still consider that serious gear.

What I mean is that they have moved in to the Computer domain quite allot in there music production and as a self confessed analogue synth geek I hope they still have a place in there studio for the MC202 and 606 and other cool stuff that they started out with and also If most of us had the budget that they have to work with there would be a nice chunk of vintage goods Not just a hand full of laptops with plug ins (it’s not my bag baby)
But as Rob and Sean seem to keep every thing very close to there chest as it where I doubt we will ever know
And as long as they keep putting out cool sounds and pushing the boundaries of what they do I don’t care
Luka
after reading those artciles it sounds like they just like gear they can work fast on
scozbor
panda30y wrote:
I feel that ep7 get less love than it deserves.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
ep7 is right up there for me
perky
I have all their official releases.... On vinyl ofc smile
Chiastic Slide what was brought me in around 1999, as i didnt like it too rough at that time. Now i just like it all. EP7 is my alltime favourite, though i havent listened as much to it lately.
I'm having an Ae listening break, as i tend to listen only to them, which is to much.

Here's my list for starters, but its really to much to ask to make a top5

Dropp
Corc
Geik
LCC
Iera
Bike
Reinform Puls

Liveset from Vancouver is like really really good, though i dont know when thats from. My guess is 2001
plord
I am a complete sucker for Chiastic Slide and Ciclisuite.

But Ganz Graf is the fucking bomb and the video is the most astonishing thing I've ever seen.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 1 of 31