release portion of an envelope?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

release portion of an envelope?

Post by Kwote » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:13 pm

so i got my first Blacet VCO yesterday, hooked it all up and started having a blast. shit is real fun to play, stays in tune great through all the octaves on my 61 key controller and the doepfer mcv4 worked like a charm. great gate generator.

bit of an issue though. i don't have an EG module yet. i can get some good gated LFO envelopes going but i'm looking for a way to get some longer release times. i get a little bit but it's still too instant. any suggestions?

i'm gonna try patching the LFO to the VCA CV tonight and mess with the built in envelopes on the I/O as well but i have a feeling it won't be too different than what i've already accomplished.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 pm

hmm

what modules do you have?

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:hmm

what modules do you have?
I/O, VCO, Filthy Filtre, Micro LFO x2, Stonzphase, Klangwerk, Dual Linear VCA, Multi/Atten
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:48 pm

hmm

you need an EG

if you had a mixer you could combine two slow LFOs to get... err something

i dunno, sorry!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:hmm

you need an EG

if you had a mixer you could combine two slow LFOs to get... err something

i dunno, sorry!
it's no biggie. i figured as much but a shot in the dark never hurt anyone. lol.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

John Nonjohn
Guru

Post by John Nonjohn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:07 am

Try patching your [keyboard or LFO] gate into the I/O module. Then use the ENV 2 LAG function on the I/O to modulate your VCA/VCF. That should get you some slightly longer ENV times! 8)

The keyboard gate may have to be buffered for the patch to work correctly, I don't know; haven't tried it; I don't have all those modules you have! You might have to feed the keyboard gate to one of the VCA's for buffering, before sending it to the I/O module.

Hope this helps!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:21 pm

good point. i never thought about bringing cv into the in of the I/O. always figured it was strictly an audio input(just checked the manual. indeed at the x10 setting you can input CV). i'll give it a shot tonight and report back in. dang even if this doesn't work out my mind is buzzing thinking of the possibilities of inputting CV on the I/O. love this modular shit!

the lag on the envelope as far as i've understood it just means it comes in later. it doesn't lengthen. a patch i've done before was to bring in external audio to the I/O then patch env 1 & env 2 to the cv's on my filter, then adjust the lag so it kinda stutters the freq sweep. of course i never tried combining both envelopes into a mixer and sending em to only one cv in. could bring about a whole other behavior. fuck i need a mixer module.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 am

i've never been happier for me and Muff to be wrong!

Johnnonjohn, your patch worked. Not only did it extend the release, it REEEAAALLLEEE extended it. at it's heaviest lag settings of course.

i think with external audio signals it was different but i was never running it on the vca. and when i did it wasn't working obviously cuz those signals basically have their own envelope. well to some extent anyways.

but yo here's the best part to me, the I/O has now become an awesome gate/envelope gen module. once i ran the gate signal from the doepfer midi/cv i could take basically any out and send cv wherever i liked. fucking nice!

thanks for the help.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:29 pm

holy crap, that's great advice, I can't wait to get home and play with this

thanks John!

i love learning new modular ideas 8)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”