MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

vulcan modulator DIY expander help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author vulcan modulator DIY expander help
Mr White
Vulcan modulator is an awesome lfo, its greatest feature is of course the Max, Min, Sum & Difference outputs that allow for an even greater palette of choice when it comes to a modulation source...
but I'm really bothered by pulling out it from the system, change the fuckin jumper ont the back to switch waveform mix per output and stick it back everytime.

so I planned to make a selector to do the task on the fly.

I found that someone had the same idea.

http://noisesource.blogspot.com/2008/12/livewire-vulcan-modulator-diy- expander.html

but instead of soldering directly cables on the jumper pins I've done another way that will allow me to return back if I want.

I picked a strip of 32 male/female connector 2.54mm, cut in couples, soldered cables on them and connected as we do with jumpers.
other end of cables to the 3 position lever switches (livewire style).

here the BIG problem:

what kind of switches can do the job???

for sure a 3 way on-on-on
for each row of jumpers to be swithed
one common pin and one pin more for other 3 cables coming, so when I toggle the switch it close sequentially the contact switching in fact the jumper position.

any suggestion?

I'm not able to find it in any store, only rotary selector or slider.

later I'll post some pics to make me understand better...
intellijel
First off I would recommend using a ribbon cable and idc style headers to save the hassle of soldering to each pin.

I bought rotary switches to implement this (you need 8 total)
but you could also do it with slide switches.

I don't think you can accomplish this with toggle switches.

What I really want to know is how to mod this to have reset capabilities!
otherunicorn
You are only looking at half of the picture. What is happening on the PCB itself? Are any of the pins already linked? I would expect 3 pins on one side to be connected together, which would mean a simple 3 position 1 pole switch could be used. There is a C&K 3 position toggle switch that can be wired this way, which is what it looks like this person is using.
Mr White
intellijel wrote:
First off I would recommend using a ribbon cable and idc style headers to save the hassle of soldering to each pin.

I bought rotary switches to implement this (you need 8 total)
but you could also do it with slide switches.

I don't think you can accomplish this with toggle switches.

What I really want to know is how to mod this to have reset capabilities!

FTFS, you're right, fuckin ribbon cable & 6 pin connector. I have to measure if it will fit because pcb is really dense around...
I saw the rotary ones but I like the switches!

..if you find a way to add reset to it I'll fall in love...

otherunicorn wrote:
I would expect 3 pins on one side to be connected together, which would mean a simple 3 position 1 pole switch could be used. There is a C&K 3 position toggle switch that can be wired this way, which is what it looks like this person is using.!

I was also thinking about it...
felix
You can use toggle switches or you can use a rotary switch.

All you're doing is essentially replacing the jumpers that come with the Vulcan (they are red in the picture above) with switches to make the same connection.

Read noisesource's description carefully and hit him up if you can't figure it out (or just wait for him to post here).
Mr White
thanks for help guys!
I just figured out how to do it but it's very difficult to find the kind of toggle switch that will do the job (3 position unipolar, bipolar, tripolar....)
I'll probaby go for rotary ones, much easier to find, I found also the same livewire little 60' sci-fi knobs at Farnell website...
It's only a matter of space, maybe toggle switches take less space on the faceplate....
otherunicorn
C&K 7211 I think.
fonik
Mr White wrote:
thanks for help guys!
I just figured out how to do it but it's very difficult to find the kind of toggle switch that will do the job (3 position unipolar, bipolar, tripolar....)
I'll probaby go for rotary ones, much easier to find, I found also the same livewire little 60' sci-fi knobs at Farnell website...
It's only a matter of space, maybe toggle switches take less space on the faceplate....

go for on-on-on toggles. not that cheap but small rotaries aren't cheap too, actually more expensive than on-on-on toggles. (and of you found small rotary switches providing 6mm axis don't hesitate to tell me). and the cheap one (lorin) are HUGHE (they won't fit into the euro grid.
on-on-on slide switches would be but hard to find, too.

my2pence
Mr White
fonik wrote:
Mr White wrote:
thanks for help guys!

go for on-on-on toggles. not that cheap but small rotaries aren't cheap too, actually more expensive than on-on-on toggles. (and of you found small rotary switches providing 6mm axis don't hesitate to tell me). and the cheap one (lorin) are HUGHE (they won't fit into the euro grid.
on-on-on slide switches would be but hard to find, too.

my2pence

expensive, I noticed!

...but I found slide ones on farnell website, check it out...

but I think this is what I need, the c&k 7211! (as otherunicorn said)
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId= -1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=571049
here the datasheet
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/571049.pdf

here in Italy I found also rotary, only with plastic case (think low quality) but they seems 6mm axis,

http://www.elettronica-hobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=143_14 4&products_id=375

do you think they can work?
intellijel
I just checked on the Vulcan and verified that for each of the mod selector headers at the back of the module, one side of the header is common (i.e. all three pins on left side of each header are the same point.

Therefor a 1 pole 3 position switch will be able to replace the functionality.
tragedybysyntax
HOW ABOUTS AN UPDATE ON THIS?! lol... i'm wanting to jump into a vulcan and would LOVE to do this mod as soon as I snag it. Kinda torn between the uLFO and the Vulcan but I think i'd like to get the Vulcan first.
astroschnautzer
tragedybysyntax wrote:
HOW ABOUTS AN UPDATE ON THIS?! lol... i'm wanting to jump into a vulcan and would LOVE to do this mod as soon as I snag it. Kinda torn between the uLFO and the Vulcan but I think i'd like to get the Vulcan first.
I have got a vulcan for sale.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1