MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euclidean Polyrhythm generator - code and details
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Euclidean Polyrhythm generator - code and details
Tombola
Wanted to post some of the details of my Euclidean polyrhythm generator https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43775

I'm afraid I don't have a drawn up schematic / PCB / Kit at the moment.

I've attached the code, which is VERY hacky and full of inconsistent comments.

Schematic fragments:
The LED Matrix is controlled by a Max7219 chip (They're expensive, but Maxim sent me two samples for free) using the schematic here: http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/review-maxim-max7219-led-d isplay-driver-ic/

The arduino board is based on the LadyAda Boarduino schematic: http://www.ladyada.net/make/boarduino/download.html

The hackiest bit is the encoder reading code, which just about works. The connection pins are described in the code.

Happy to answer any questions.
Jarno
That's great Tombola, I was hoping you'd share the code.
Really keen on seeing how you did it.
chinard
awesome, i cant wait to try this out
sduck
Don't know why you didn't post the original thread here. Looks like a great device - may have to look into this!
clarke68
Tombola wrote:

Understandable, but do you have any plans/hopes/dreams of putting something out? Just want to make sure you know you've got at lest one customer right here. thumbs up
beautyofdecay_
That looks great!
This would be an excellent addition to fill some of the empty spaces in my SDIY Buchlaesque modular Mr. Green

I have to read up on this stuff.

Thanks!
chinard
clarke68 wrote:
Tombola wrote:

Understandable, but do you have any plans/hopes/dreams of putting something out? Just want to make sure you know you've got at lest one customer right here. thumbs up

pcb kit would be awesome, but even having the schematics handy so i could breadboard this in the meantime would be fanfuckingtastic.
JJ
Very cool. Pcb/kit would interst me too!
nerdware
I don't know if I'd be interested in this as hardware, but I've had some fun today using this idea in Haskore. Thanks!
thedug
Yes.. schematic or pcb would be awesome!
thedug
Do you think this code would run on the ardcore? It uses a nano.
Tombola
The code would compile & run, but you'd need to wire up the encoders (or probably more sensibly replace with pots and rework the code). It would probably just work without the LED matrix
Spandex
Thanks for sharing the code Tom.

I took the euclidean fn from your code and wrote one that does multiple simultaneous outs. So you can get the 4,5,6,7 etc patterns simultaneously.

Vid here, it's clocked off a noisering.. then the various euclidean patterns are triggering envs and interacting n wotnot.

In fact.. I used your fn to just pre-calculate a load of them (for 1-16) and then it uses those without calling the fn again. Thinking about it further, I realised that it'd be very easy to just precalculate all the lengths/divisions I'm likely to need and store them in a few hundred bytes smile

The module is a stack of jacks and pots that @monobass made (with an identical one he's keeping, thanks Steev!) so we can fiddle around with arduino-based eurorack stuff. It uses an IDE cable to connect to a breakout board, which is some headers taped onto a plastic lid at the moment. It's a LOT of fun.
Monobass
Yeah I should have made mine first ;)
Spandex
hehehe. i'd never have got mine if you had smile it's really great. ta.
haima
Spandex: nice work!

Is that a Arduino Mega?
Spandex
yeah, we figured that we'd spend the extra and get more channels. then monobass did a load of soldering with that IDE cable so we have plenty of scope for getting stuff in and out of the eurorack, while keeping the arduino on the desk.

i guess at some point, the idea might be to make a standalone module with an embedded chip. for the moment though, we'll probably just have it as something we can reprogram on a whim.
haima
Very cool. I think i'll have to give something like this a try. Thanks for the ideas!
Neutron7
That is very cool!

just a little note on the 7219. if you use the 7221 it is less noisy because it ramps the power to the LEDs it can use the same code (even thoguh it says SPI, it works with serial as well)

and try to put it on a separate regulator, not your main 5v supply if you have one. it puts a lot of noise back in the power supply.
lightworks
this looks great!
any plans to post the schematic?
ThomasVanTa
Awesome!, Thanks
CJ Miller
Tom, I was looking into breadboarding this today, but I don't understand the switches you described.

Tombola wrote:

Switches / misc
encoder switch = A0
reset switch = A1
pulse input = A2
spare jack out = A3

15k resistor ladder around 3 push button switches
+5v -- 15k -- switch -- 15k -- switch -- 15k -- switch -- 15k -- GND
Other ends of switches going to Analog in 0

Does this mean two regular pushbutton switches on A1 and A2, plus three switches on the encoders which are all connected to A0? Will encoders without switches work, or can I substitute another pushbutton? Do you have the A1, A2 switches also connected between +5V and ground through 15k resistors? And what is "spare jack out"?

Meanwhile I'll look at more of the code. Thanks for posting this interesting project!
o-live
Quote:
any plans to post the schematic?

same question wink
nerdware
Stoicheia thumbs up
o-live
cool project but i really prefer the tombola project smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 1 of 17