MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCA Rider Kits and builds - add a VCA to the Q109 EG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author VCA Rider Kits and builds - add a VCA to the Q109 EG
megaohm
Prices:

$55 - Standard Kit

$15 - optional push/pull Attack pot. Switches Time Range.

$95 - Full Kit with all the additions

$120 - Full Kit build out.
Send me your EG and I'll do all the drilling and send you back a fully modded, trimmed, and tested module.

You can PM me here or send me an email - phil@megaohmaudio.com

Full build out:

New Build Instructions added march 31 2016
zapp550
You can count me in for three of those kits thumbs up
sduck
Without having to download one of the guides, could you give a rundown on what this does? I see the trigger button replaced with a jack, and some extra switches.
bwhittington
The jacks are Gate in, EG out, VCA in, VCA out. The switches are long/short envelope time and bipolar/not operation, which I suppose might be the same as bringing the Dotcom jumpers to the panel? Clever idea!

Cheers,
Brian
Jsantos360
That's my EG applause

Awesome Phil!
megaohm
sduck wrote:
Without having to download one of the guides, could you give a rundown on what this does?

The VCA Rider is a pcb that is stacked above the Q109 pcb.
It adds a VCA to the envelope generator.
The VCA is based in large part on a circuit by Mike Sims published in EDN magazine. The results are less noise and much less CV feed through compared to the standard OTA based circuit. It is a very nice VCA. Worthy of being the final stage of your signal chain.

There are a few ways to build these.
The standard kit is the simplest and can be put together by anyone.
The full kit adds all features but requires drilling 2-4 holes in the panel so some DIY skill is needed. It is pretty easy as far as DIY projects go (no soldering, no need to understand schematics, etc.).

Standard Kit:
Replaces manual gate button with a jack.
This is the input to the VCA.
The EG out jack is plugged into the Rider pcb and becomes the VCA out jack.
A +V is normaled to the VCA input jack. When nothing is patched to the VCA input the output is a 0-5V envelope.

Full Kit:
This adds a VCA output jack, bicolor LED, and switches that access the Q109 header - Range and Uni/Bi Mode.
Top left jack - VCA IN
Top right jack - VCA OUT
Bottom left jack - GATE IN
Bottom right jack - ENVELOPE OUT
Right toggle switch - Time Range - down=extended EG times
Left toggle switch - Uni/Bipolar EG Mode - down = Bipolar EG
Bicolor LED indicates whether the EG is in the positive or negative stage.
When the Mode switch is set to bipolar the LED will remain lit red when the EG is at rest. Since the additions have no labels the LED will tell you what mode you are in which is kinda handy.
As the EG rises above 0V the LED will turn green.
The VCA only responds to the EG when it is positive so you can delay the VCA's response by adjusting the Attack pot.
Page 3 of the Full Kit guide has a drawing of the timing relationship and output shape.

Here's a couple more pics:

impaledfaith
I currently have four EG's and I am most definitely interested in this mod!! I think I may opt for the full kit/build option.

What a wonderful idea Phil!
zapp550
So if i'm looking at this correctly it looks like the VCA will power the EG... so just one harness for both love
megaohm
zapp550 wrote:
So if i'm looking at this correctly it looks like the VCA will power the EG... so just one harness for both love

That's true.
I originally intended for it to use a separate harness for each thinking it is more ideal that way. You can still do it that way if you want. The standoffs give just enough room to connect/disconnect the power to the Q109 pcb.

My second thought was that everyone would rather use just one harness and I couldn't detect any problems when using it powered this way...so...
8_)
sduck
Very nice!
zapp550
I like one harness for the whole a lot more, and with the extras it'll be a lot of power for just 1U.
kindredlost
This is very nice Phil. I plan on modifying all six of my Q109's as soon as Doug Slocum delivers the DDVCO's. I'm tapped until after the year's end (big family & the holidays to consider). Your price is very reasonable for the kits and for your labor too.

Where did the push/pull pots come from? I'm assuming this is a user option and not included in the kits. Do you have a Mouser/Newark/Digikey/Jameco number? I've never used these in a DIY project yet.

The only thing I can recommend about the pdf files is the index bar which lists how many pages and should be a page link. On my iMac it doesn't work (older Tiger OSX 10.4). I can use the "PREV/NEXT" icons at the top to get from one page to the next but clicking on the right menu is busted. It could be I need to upgrade my Adobe reader. I'll try that tonight.

Great work my friend. w00t Guinness ftw!
megaohm
kindredlost wrote:

Where did the push/pull pots come from? I'm assuming this is a user option and not included in the kits. Do you have a Mouser/Newark/Digikey/Jameco number? I've never used these in a DIY project yet.

I get them from Small Bear

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Potentiometers+an d+Trimpots

The Mouser # is on his page. hihi
b3groover
Looks great, Phil. Definitely something I want to do to my Q109's.
kindredlost
Sending off my Q109 to Phil for a rider kit to be installed.

It's motherfucking bacon yo

I'll probably order the kits for the rest of my Q109s later after I see how Phil does the installation. (cheater that I am)

This vca rider will allow me to use the many dotcom vca's for other more important things like cv and audio blending. Such a great idea from Mega Ohm Audio.

SlayerBadger! we're not worthy Guinness ftw!
Jsantos360
My completed EG should be here today!

Stoked thumbs up

Phil is the man!
VinceL
Phil's got 4 of my Q109's for the full upgrade. applause

I have 2 others that I would like to upgrade, but they are right in front of the power supply. So, not enough depth available. sad banana
I will probably just install the switches to bring the 2 jumpers out to the front panel for these.
Henfield
Jsantos360 wrote:
My completed EG should be here today!

Stoked thumbs up

Phil is the man!
Not if it is coming via the USPS! I thought that I would be receiving a shipment from Phil today as well, until I realized it was Veteran's Day, no mail for you!
The Hamburglar
I'd love to hear some samples of the increased envelope speed if anyone is so inclined...
bwhittington
The Hamburglar wrote:
I'd love to hear some samples of the increased envelope speed if anyone is so inclined...

You can test this yourself by changing the range jumper on your Q109. Check the datasheet for details:

http://www.synthesizers.com/datasheets/q109adata.pdf

Cheers,
Brian
Henfield
The Hamburglar wrote:
The range switch will increase the envelope time, making it slower, not increasing the speed. This is a mod that a few wigglers have already performed, normally by installing some switches on the Q109.
Henfield
I received my two basic kits, along with the push/pull pot for the ADSR Range. Thanks to Phil's excellent instructions (thank you for all of the pictures!) it took me less than an hour to change over two Q 109's , even though I was watching TV and my wife was talking away in the background!!

I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow or Saturday, but I am very impressed about the ease of adding the VCA function to the Q109!! Kudos to you Phil!! What will they think of next? LFO add on to a filter? Noise to the S&H module? The list goes on and on...............
Henfield
Well, I further modified my Q109's by removing the capacitor, as shown in this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28242

I tried out my new ADSR/VCA modules and they work and sound excellent! I also have the push/pull ADSR range pot from Phil as well and works well too! I did not have a chance to compare this VCA to a Q108, but I will hopefully get this chance sometime this week!
spinach_pizza
All I can say is that Phil at megaOhm is tops! thumbs up I just wish that he could have put a little "megaOhm" decal in the upper right hand corner! 8_)

kindredlost
Super sweet Richard. and I agree completely about Phil. Great guy. I should see my first of these modified Q109's in a week or so. Can't wait!

Did you do your own kit installation? I plan to do all the rest of mine but wanted Phil to do the first one. His craftsmanship is very good. I'll have a pattern to follow. Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3