MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where to buy 1/4" patch cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Where to buy 1/4" patch cables?
Soviet Space Child
Hey guys,

I need a handful of 3' 1/4" patch cables to get going with Silent Way. I searched this subforum but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? seriously, i just don't get it
sandyb
http://synthesizers.com/cables.html

good cables thumbs up
diophantine
Here's a thread about 1/4" patch cables:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36325

Synthesizers.com patch cables are loved by many, myself included.

For 3', there's also Hosa CPP-890 cables, which are cheap and apparently good. (I have a package of 8, but haven't opened them yet.)
decaying.sine
+1 on Sandy's post. Those cables are very sturdy. They are probably the best that I have ever used. I sold mine off and made some of my own though. It was nice to be able to control the length and I found some cool colored instrument cables. They are fairly easy to make yourself once you practice a little and have routine down pat.
thetwlo
GLS cables
thumbs up
bwhittington
Dotcom is a good balance of quality/price. If you want truly cheap, you can use Hosa patch cables:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hosa+patch+cord&um=1&ie=UTF-8 &tbm=shop&cid=10162199454080652230&sa=X&ei=Sqe1TpWLO-GKsgKO4IXaAw&ved= 0CHwQ8wIwAw

You get what you pay for, but I've used some for a few years now. I periodically notice an intermittent cable and toss it in the bin, but they do okay with a bit of care.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Oops, Kyle beat me to it.
bwhittington
decaying.sine wrote:
+1 on Sandy's post. Those cables are very sturdy. They are probably the best that I have ever used. I sold mine off and made some of my own though. It was nice to be able to control the length and I found some cool colored instrument cables. They are fairly easy to make yourself once you practice a little and have routine down pat.

I've never been able to find a retailer for the Horizon cable you used. I even called them to ask for dealers, but they gave me some mom-and-pop contact like Bob's Music Store or something who would still have had to special order the cable. I'd love to an online shop if you know of one.

I've wanted to make some out of that cloth sleeve wire they make.

Cheers,
Brian
Christopher Winkels
I recommend Dotcom cables too. I've only ever had one of the 40+ I bought off them go bad, and that one was replaced, no questions asked.
RealDudes
I've had many of the 3' hosa cables go bad on me but I keep buying them because they're right there at the store. I am pretty hard on em, stuffing into suticases
davebr
I've had bad experience with the Hosa cables but good experience with the Peavey cables. They make both 1' and 3' and the cables are much thicker than the Hosa.

I've also had good experience with Calrad. I've not found any place that sells them locally so I buy them on-line. They have 1', 2', 3', and 6' with gold plated barrels and tips.

The part numbers are on my parts page.

Of course my best cables were the custom ones that the late Larry Hendry had made. Those are very nice.

Dave
Orbless
I have never had any problems with the Hosa cables I have, they make up about 2/3 of what I use, the rest being dot com cables, which are superior for sure. You can also build your own pretty easily if you need a lot of cables.
I usually end up buying cables and such from sweetwater.
unrelated note: another earthquake
VinceL
I have primarily Dotcom cables. They are well made, priced right, and the metal plugs are hot glued so they don't come unscrewed. For awhile the Fender California guitar cables were available in shorter lengths and I got several of them in 1 foot, 3 foot, and 6 foot lengths. They have held up well...just need to tighten the metal plug occasionally. With the number of cables that I now have, I was having trouble tracing patches because all the Dotcom cables are black except for the stress reliefs. So, recently I have been buying the GLS cables. They are very flexible and come in 6 very bright colors. I buy the longer ones and a bunch of 1/4" plugs and just cut and solder to whatever length I want. I really find it very handy to have 6 inch and 1.5 foot cables. thumbs up While they don't feel particularly sturdy, I have never had a problem with any of them.

bwhittington wrote:
I've never been able to find a retailer for the Horizon cable you used. I even called them to ask for dealers, but they gave me some mom-and-pop contact like Bob's Music Store or something who would still have had to special order the cable. I'd love to an online shop if you know of one.

Brian, I had the same experience as you with the Horizon cables. I contacted them, and they referred me to some local music shop that didn't know what I was talking about when I called them. d'oh! I would love to find an online retailer for them.
Ockeghem
I just got some GLS ( made by Orange County Speakers and on sale at Amazon.com) in 3' and 6' lengths. Eighty-eight dollars and change for 18 cables, a dozen of them are six-footers; and I already had some Hosa and others... 8_)

"Made in China"--Orange County must have outsourced hmmm.....
sempervirent
With a modular it makes sense to have thinner cables because a bunch of thick cables get in the way. I can only find one place that sells them but Mogami makes short patch cables that are really thin. I've actually tested them out with comparable lengths of heavier gauge cable and did not see any loss of signal. I use them for almost everything – patch bays, etc.

Check them out here:
http://www.electroniccity.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=1330
keninverse
Can anyone attest to Monoprice cables? I picked up a few TRS for a patchbay but these rarely get moved around. I'm wondering how these can handle patching in a modular setting. The cables I received are okay but the cable has quite a strange feel. The jacket is very soft so cable droop is a problem.
diophantine
I can't attest to the Monoprice 1/4" cables... you should probably use the TS over TRS, though for TS they only have the silly "gold-plated" ones.

Pretty much anything will get the job done, but you'll want something that is both durable, and comfortable to use.

I've generally had good luck with cables and adapters from Monoprice, though I did get some RCA cables that are atrocious and which literally fell apart.
kindredlost
Orange County Speaker cables are okay for a very inexpensive (read cheapo) alternative, but I would NOT expect them to be working in a few years. I've had several jack sleeves come apart right out of the bag (from China).

For the best value on the planet, go with synthesizers.com. Extremely well made cables and priced better than most guitar cables.

I occasionally buy Rapco/Horizon for shorter lengths and I have lots of their Y Cables in two and six foot lengths. I use these as splitters in circumstances where a multiple is only going to split a signal once. Very economical and sturdy. Musician's Friend has them.
Squattamolie
Another vote for the Dotcom cables. They're worth it.
keninverse
diophantine wrote:
I can't attest to the Monoprice 1/4" cables... you should probably use the TS over TRS, though for TS they only have the silly "gold-plated" ones.

I just use the TRS for my studio patchbay.. I definitely use TS for my synths but I just haven't ever bought any TS cables from those guys. The ones I have are fine but I never really repatch too often. With my 5u I'm constantly moving things around.

All my other cabels are DIY. Short barrel neutrik with mogami bulk cable purchased from redco. I love the robust feel of the cable but building cables is a pain. I have doubled heatshrink on the inside of the housing to keep strain off the contacts and I've never had one fail yet. I'm just tired of picking apart the braid on the shield and dealing with all that nonsense. I'd gladly pay someone an extra few dollars if they build them right.
kultbox
kindredlost wrote:
Orange County Speaker cables are okay for a very inexpensive (read cheapo) alternative, but I would NOT expect them to be working in a few years. I've had several jack sleeves come apart right out of the bag (from China).

Order a tube of this with your OCS cables....it will solve every ones issue with the annoying sleeve. (this is what I use with the cables - I love the colors! thumbs up

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-24200-Permatex-Threadlocker-Blue/dp/B0002 UEMZ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321300736&sr=8-2
kindredlost
Threadlock will not solve a poorly machined thread. The threads are actually undersized so bad the sleeve will not attach or acts stripped. I guess super glue might help. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
VinceL
kindredlost wrote:
Threadlock will not solve a poorly machined thread. The threads are actually undersized so bad the sleeve will not attach or acts stripped. I guess super glue might help. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Sounds like you've had some significant problems with the Orange County cables, David.

I have 40-50 of them. Half are straight from the factory, and the other half I made by cutting cables and soldering a 1/4" plug (same plugs as come on the cables) at the cut ends. I've never experienced a problem with poorly machined or undersized threads on any of them. I do check every factory-installed plug, and I have found a few where the tip connector had been bent so much that it was dangerously close to causing a short...nothing a pair of needle-nose pliers couldn't fix. I guess I've been lucky with these cables.

The only reason I even buy the Orange County cables is for the different colors. Staring at the modular patched with 20+ 3-foot Dotcom cables gets very difficult to follow.

The late Larry Hendry used to do custom batches of various colored cables. They were extremely well-made...Dotcom caliber. Unfortunatetly, AFAIK, no one has taken over this work since Larry's untimely demise.
suitandtieguy
eventually i'm going to get rid of all of my cables and replace them with purple cables. i don't like all these different colours.
pugix
I use mostly dot com cables. And a few of Larry Hendry's as well. The dot coms are black cable with color coded heat shrink by length, following the resistor color code (red = 2', orange 3', etc.). No black heat shrink, 'cause that would be 0'. lol

Some prefer not to color code by length, but according to some other notion, such as purpose (signal, control, gates). Larry Hendry would let you order any length with any combination of cable color + heat shrink color. I have some of his beautiful purple cables and red cables that I use for longer runs. I miss Larry. I have a lot of his Stooge panels, too.
Jsantos360
Speaking of patch cables........

Anyone else notice that Roger raised his cable prices? They are all $8.50 now hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2