MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

can an attenuator be used on audio signal as well?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author can an attenuator be used on audio signal as well?
circling-crane
totally new to the kit build modular world and modulars in general. I've built a few Paia kits recently in order to get started, and really like the frac size modules, and of course I'm totally hooked now.

question...can an attenuator module be used to attenuate audio signals too? I'd like to be able to input external audio and have the ability to attenuate it? I'm trying to figure out a way, or maybe there already is a module for this, that allows say 4 inputs or so and sums these down to a stereo pair, with the ability to modulate each channel's output with CV BEFORE the final sum to stereo. Sort of a modular automated mixer I guess...Anything like this exist? or can easily be patched up using frac modules from Paia or Blacet?
Cat-A-Tonic
Welcome.
circling-crane wrote:
can an attenuator module be used to attenuate audio signals too?

Yes.
You probably want to use a linear pot (as they are better suited to scaling CVs),
but you might consider trying a logarithmic (audio) pot too if you are building your own.
circling-crane wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a way, or maybe there already is a module for this, that allows say 4 inputs or so and sums these down to a stereo pair, with the ability to modulate each channel's output with CV BEFORE the final sum to stereo. Sort of a modular automated mixer I guess...Anything like this exist? or can easily be patched up using frac modules from Paia or Blacet?

It kind of sounds like you want a Blacet Super VCA.
circling-crane
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
It kind of sounds like you want a Blacet Super VCA.

wow just read up on it..and yeah..it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder though, if I should continue working my way up to building something this complex. I did just complete a Paia power supply and am now starting in on the Paia dual filter..I think I'll finish the filter 1st then try the quad VCA. Thanks for the help!
cerebrosis
Hello.

Ive heard that the super vca is one of the harder/longer blacet builds, but blacet pcbs are high quality and have excellent layouts. Be aware that if you built the 18v unregulated paia supply its not recommended with blacet modules as you should use a bipolar 15v regulated and many manuals state "Do not attempt to use “wall warts” to power the module". If this is the case i would max out the paia with 9700 modules then get blacet ps500s for non-paia frac.

Have fun fracing!
e-grad
cerebrosis wrote:
Ive heard that the super vca is one of the harder/longer blacet builds, but blacet pcbs are high quality and have excellent layouts.

Yes, the SuperVCA is a bit tricky. However it's fun to build like any Blacet kit.

There was a thread on 'build difficulty':
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38920
circling-crane
cerebrosis wrote:
Hello.

Ive heard that the super vca is one of the harder/longer blacet builds, but blacet pcbs are high quality and have excellent layouts. Be aware that if you built the 18v unregulated paia supply its not recommended with blacet modules as you should use a bipolar 15v regulated and many manuals state "Do not attempt to use “wall warts” to power the module". If this is the case i would max out the paia with 9700 modules then get blacet ps500s for non-paia frac.

Have fun fracing!

thanks for the pointers. I did read through the build difficulty thread..thanks..for sure going to learn a bir more before tackling the super VCA. I got one of the new prototype Paia 9700 +/-15vDC power supply modules and it works like a charm. It has 12 locations for hooking up modules. Does not come with power headers though, so I got some from mouser and installed 12 power headers.

I put pics of this new Paia power module http://www.flickr.com/photos/james-johnson/sets/72157627833256075/ if you would like to see it

thanks again for the tip on build difficulty...not quite there yet...but am having loads of fun building my own instrument.
e-grad
Just to make sure: The electronics are not tricky to handle but the mechanical interconnection of the PCBs. If one takes his time and considers for a moment how can the connection be achieved successfully one should not face any prob at all.
circling-crane
go it...the part count is definitely a little intimidating at the moment..smile
cerebrosis
e-grad wrote:
Just to make sure: The electronics are not tricky to handle but the mechanical interconnection of the PCBs. If one takes his time and considers for a moment how can the connection be achieved successfully one should not face any prob at all.

This is the main thing. Take your time and double check.

Don't build a module when people are around or coming over. Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1