brain fart

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

brain fart

Post by 22tape » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 pm

simply put, i need a single channel 'mixer' with one fx send/return, so i can blend the wet and dry signal.

seeing that i only need one channel, all mixers seem to be a bit of an overkill (since the smallest mixers i've found have 4 channels)....and a small physical footprint is high priority (not looking for modular solutions either)

to my brain fart--

i'll be getting another moog delay. won't i be able to, essentially, use it as a 'single channel mixer' via the fx loop?

(the following is assuming that the feedback switch is set to internal)

but if the mix level is fully dry, does the dry signal still go through the fx loop? or is it only the wet signal that goes to the fx loop?

and what about the 'loop gain' knob-- if the mix level is dry and the 'loop gain' is all the way down, i'll only hear the original dry signal right?

if the mix level is fully dry, and the 'loop gain' is all the way up, i'll only hear the signal that is being effected in the fx loop? then, as i increase the mix level on the moog, the delay will creep in?

but what happens if the feedback is set to external?

does any of this makes sense? :doh: i'm totally over-thinking this...but its just not clicking! :bang:

:mrgreen:

felix
Loves the manuals!

Re: brain fart

Post by felix » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

22tape wrote:simply put, i need a single channel 'mixer' with one fx send/return, so i can blend the wet and dry signal.

seeing that i only need one channel, all mixers seem to be a bit of an overkill (since the smallest mixers i've found have 4 channels)....and a small physical footprint is high priority (not looking for modular solutions either)
Or you simply need a mult and 2 channel mixer. One channel is the dry and the other is the wet. If you need some post-fader type aux arrangement, then you might need a regular mixer. But for what you'd likely spend cooking up something (the cost of your time included) it would probably be cheaper to knock up a little tapco mixer.
22tape wrote:to my brain fart--

i'll be getting another moog delay. won't i be able to, essentially, use it as a 'single channel mixer' via the fx loop?

(the following is assuming that the feedback switch is set to internal)

but if the mix level is fully dry, does the dry signal still go through the fx loop? or is it only the wet signal that goes to the fx loop?

and what about the 'loop gain' knob-- if the mix level is dry and the 'loop gain' is all the way down, i'll only hear the original dry signal right?

if the mix level is fully dry, and the 'loop gain' is all the way up, i'll only hear the signal that is being effected in the fx loop? then, as i increase the mix level on the moog, the delay will creep in?

but what happens if the feedback is set to external?

does any of this makes sense? :doh: i'm totally over-thinking this...but its just not clicking! :bang:

:mrgreen:
I *think* in know what you're getting at...

The external feedback loop signal path (and the loop gain) is only in use when you set it to external, and when you do, the internal feedback loop is broken.

Think of it this way...do you want to use external processing in the feedback loop of the delay?

YES - the patch the external processing up to the loop in/out jacks on the MF-104 and set the switch to external loop. Adjust the loop gain as necessary for proper gain staging.

NO - leave the switch set to internal loop. the loop in/out jacks will not send/receive signal into the feedback loop and loop gain has no effect.

the Mix knob always mixes the delayed output with the input. It's post feedback loop, so it has no effect on it.

So...if you're thinking that you can just use the the loop in as another input to the delay, you're out of luck. Sorry.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

hbc
III IV III

Re: brain fart

Post by hbc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am

22tape wrote:simply put, i need a single channel 'mixer' with one fx send/return, so i can blend the wet and dry signal.
I think the Boss LS-2 (line selector pedal) would have you covered. It's a pretty useful for routing signal around weirdo pedal setups.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm

thanks for the response guys :]

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”