MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Universal Frac/Euro Cases and DIY rails coming...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Universal Frac/Euro Cases and DIY rails coming...
Randaleem
Hi all!

Nathan Kirchner answered my last remaining worry. Glad I asked! Thank goodness he was quick, or I'd have had 100's of pounds of rails good for frac but only some Euro modules. But now that's solved!

This Summer, I'm bringing out some "universal" cases, one is a portable folding 4 or 6 row (Buchla 200 style). It's modular, so you can start with one or two rows, and add until you have a full six row folding system! Frac owners will be released from the 15" width limit, as these cases/boats allow 16.5" use in standard rack width.

The other is a stationary Quarter-round 3or 4 row like the old Serge or Buchla 100. It ships flat and can be assembled in minutes with the included hex wrench. This one will be made in DIY finish-it-yourself, and also Furniture grade figured Grain woods.

Both types will let you choose Frac or Euro for each row, and the power and <now> mounting differences are addressed and solved!

Extrusions are about 4-6 weeks out, with cases perhaps a bit sooner because I have also a non-extrusion based solution for the universal rails.
I'm finishing up the prototypes and expect to post some pics and more details in a week or so...

Along with the finished cases, I expect to offer these rails and nutplates for the DIY crowd.

I'm posting now to gauge interest for initial run quantities, please let me know if any of this might be something for you?.

Kind regards, Randal

<edit1> spelling and small content addition
consumed
interesting! id definitely like to see pictures of what you're cooking up. so frac OR euro on a row? does this mean that (in the case of a four-row config) the user will receive both four sets of euro rails and four sets of frac, so it can be reconfigured in any way the user sees fit? or are the rails 'universal' somehow, in that euro and frac can mount to the same rail?
Randaleem
Hi Consumed!

The rail and power distribution is universal. So you can choose EITHER Euro OR Frac on each ROW. In your example you would get 4 sets of rails, and you install them Frac-side-up or Euro-side-up. The vertical distance difference change needed happens automatically when you do this. then you plug into the Euro OR Frac power connector on the distro board, as needed.

FWIW, a universal Euro/Frac rail IS possible; I played with that idea too. But it comes with so many potential downsides, including being ugly! (Because you lose the trim lip of Euro, and have spaces at top and bottom, not to mention the black/silver thing!) So I chose this solution. I think you'll like it!

KInd regards, Randal

consumed wrote:
so frac OR euro on a row? does this mean that (in the case of a four-row config) the user will receive both four sets of euro rails and four sets of frac, so it can be reconfigured in any way the user sees fit? or are the rails 'universal' somehow, in that euro and frac can mount to the same rail?
panda30y
Yes, pictures would be a necessity. But if the price is right, and the product looks solid, I don't see why there wouldn't be a demand.
Randaleem
Hi Panda!

Yes, pictures are coming. Pricing will be VERY competitive. Distribution through Analog Haven is likely; that seems to be the "B"est Plan to avoid any issues... FWIW, Cabinets and cases/rails will be American manufacture, not imports.

Kind regards, Randal
nathankirchner
If they look good and cost something sensible I'll grab one (or some).

I need 10 rows though - I hope they are stackable!
markthecolossus
This is really cool.

I took an almost 3 year break from building my modular (frac) and came back to find that euro is producing a lot of really interesting things. Which left me with a problem: Euro cases are pricey, I'm cheap, and now I want to mix formats.

So you can count one more person as at least interested.
suitandtieguy
how deep?

this is very important.
Randaleem
suitandtieguy wrote:
how deep?
this is very important.

Hi STG!

Indeed it is!
Deep enough for full rows of unmodified Miniwaves, if you wanted! IOW, deep enough for any and all legacy frac modules. Most newer modules are shallower, which IMO is a good thing. Those will fit too!

Kind regards, Randal
BugBrand
Sounds very interesting!

I know you'll have to go for DEEP frac enclosures to take regular Fracs, but oh it'd be lovely to have shallow 4" ones (better for portability) (this is a somewhat selfish request also!)

Power -- will Euro/UK be possible? (a voltage selector switch would be great!)

Eagerly awaiting images & further developments.

Ps - going through Analogue Haven is GREAT!
revmutt
sounds great.
I am assuming there is a prototype, I'd like to see photos posted.

You are probably too early to guess on projected pricing unless you really have your shit together but we are all curious.
Mood Organ
Definitely interested
Randaleem
Hi! Thank you for the replies.
BugBrand wrote:
but oh it'd be lovely to have shallow 4" ones (better for portability) (this is a somewhat selfish request also!)
Power -- will Euro/UK be possible? (a voltage selector switch would be great!)

It's definitely portable. If you want extreme! portable, watch for details of the new ATA carryon I've just added to the mix. About 500HP in 14"x22"x9".
As for this one, it's portable too. At only 11x20 (6 rows) or 11x15 (4 rows) by your chosen width, it travels easily. While derivative of the Buchla design, it closes more fully, so you can get away without an "overcase". I'm looking into getting some soft padded "gig bags" made for them. But this system of cases I'm putting together is modular. The 200-style is just one implementation. You can choose case depth, number of rows, US/UK power options (120/240 switch is likely). And yes! the system does have some shallow boats!

@revmutt: Pics in about a week-10days, prices following shortly thereafter. Experience has taught me to be sure before throwing a number out there. Prices will be fair and competitive.

@Mood Organ: Thanks!

Kind regards, Randal
Randaleem
Update: teaser pics of folding case posted in related Euro thread (don't want to waste BW posting twice.)

Kind regards, Randal (edit spelling, wate to waste)
Randaleem
Hi all,

Have put up a message relating to a Frac power supply and cases options in the General discussions section. Interested in your Frac-oriented comments.

Especially WRT having something other than rack-based width since it seems most current Frac IS truly RACK-based. But is this just because that's what's been available?

Would you like to get outside the rack width restrictions?

Please let me know?

Kind regards, Randal
parasitk
Randaleem wrote:
Have put up a message relating to a Frac power supply and cases options in the General discussions section. Interested in your Frac-oriented comments.

Especially WRT having something other than rack-based width since it seems most current Frac IS truly RACK-based. But is this just because that's what's been available?

Would you like to get outside the rack width restrictions?

Please let me know?

IMO the worst thing about the Frac format is the Frac Rack, so I have no problem getting outside of the rack dimensions. Wider (not Monster case wide) is definitely better! And as shallow as possible is great. Blacet stuff makes that kind of hard, but I think most newer Frac stuff is a bit shallower.
Randaleem
Bump.

Hi there, Frac'rs. Just want to mention that I've been making some frac related posts in the Euro thread WRT my universal rails, cases, etc. The split in the forums means either double posting, or something like this bump. (Maybe the *divide* will decrease once it's really easy to house both Frac and Euro inexpensively and easily in a myriad of ways!)

We're getting really close now, and I didn't want you to think my lack of updates here meant I was somehow abandoning the Dark/Frac side! Not gonna happen. I always do the frac design for each module first! Frac forever!

Edit: Pricing. I'm aiming at meeting Blacet pricing levels. So figure 150-200USD per row. But each row is 11 units, not 10. And you'll have *many* options that aren't based on rack widths at all. But following similar pricing!

You'll soon have literally dozens of ways to neatly house Frac, Euro, or both.

Edit: BTW, Still looking for hole pattern/dimensions of Blacet's distro for backward compatibility. Anyone?

Kind regards, Randal[b]
Randaleem
Hi Fraclanders!

Possibly interesting Frac-related items here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74557#74557

Kind regards, Randal (FWIW, Fraclanders a play on a book by Edwin Abbott, called Flatland. Interesting read, and one of my favorites.)
scozbor
Randaleem wrote:
(FWIW, Fraclanders a play on a book by Edwin Abbott, called Flatland. Interesting read, and one of my favorites.)

it's been a while since I read that. VERY INTERESTING READ woah thumbs up Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1