MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello,

These are finally ready for production. A brief description for those that haven't been following in the other thread:

This board is a simple externally clocked, 8 Step flipflop/counter based sequencer that can count upward, downward, and pingpong. The CV output range is 0-10V. The clock input has a comparator to make clocking a bit more flexible, and there is a Gate output that outputs a 10V gate pulse. There are connections for 8 pots, 8 LEDs, Mode Switch and the CV/CLK/Gate IO jacks. The board is approximately 3"x3.5". It can be clocked into low audio range.

Boards are $20 each, which includes shipping in the US. Outside the US, please add $5 Per Order (not per board.) Please reference "FlopSeq" in the Paypal subject (as there are other boards open for orders right now.)

Paypal address is:

Thanks for the interest in this project!

Note: You can combine your orders for all three of the currently available boards if you like. I'm also going to leave the 258J orders open, and close them all at once.

Last edited by J3RK on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do you prefer a person pays for different PCBs? 1 paypal pament or multiple?
Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very tempting...

Is there a schematic you could share please?
I'd like to make sure I understand all of the sequencer's functions before I decide.

You mention connections for a CV pot and LED per step, but I can't tell if there is a Gate/Trigger switch per step too... I guess so if there is a Gate output, correct?

Is the Gate output the same pulse width as the Clock signal?

Cheers!

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isaiah wrote:
Very tempting...

I'd like to make sure I understand all of the sequencer's functions before I decide.

You mention connections for a CV pot and LED per step, but I can't tell if there is a Gate/Trigger switch per step too... I guess so if there is a Gate output, correct?

Cheers!

There is not a gate switch per step. Just a single gate output, with one pulse per step. I can plot the pulse-width tonight.
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
How do you prefer a person pays for different PCBs? 1 paypal pament or multiple?

As long as all of the boards for the order are referenced, one order should be fine. I was trying to keep these separate early on, but it makes more sense to combine them at this point if desired.

Thanks!
synthnut
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi,

Could one do something cunning with the LED outputs to make individual gate outputs? Is there any break in these between steps?

TTFN,

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
FrankV
waggling wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm feeling sort of dense here, but it's not actually clear to me whether the number of steps is adjustable. The list of controls and I/O doesn't seem to refer to a reset or control for number of steps. 8 steps all the time? Did I miss something obvious (wouldn't be the first time!)?

Frank
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, no step count select. This was originally intended as a simple sequencer just for my Easel panel. Then some people expressed an interest in it. I'm working on a complex sequencer that will have step count, gate off/tie, division, 8 or 16 step versions, etc. But this will not be available for quite some time.

I'm uploading videos now, (not great quality, but...)
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isaiah wrote:
Very tempting...

Cheers!

Edit: I need to run a quick test with an actual PWM clock actually. If I shift the waveform, the pulse-width changes on the output. However, changing the width in simulation results in no change. I believe (real world) that it does, but I want to verify it before giving you a final answer on this. I'll try running a couple more tests tomorrow for this. It functions exactly as I'd expect, but I wasn't really thinking about this when we designed it.
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

synthnut wrote:
Hi,

Could one do something cunning with the LED outputs to make individual gate outputs? Is there any break in these between steps?

TTFN,

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk

You could probably do something along these lines. It wouldn't be pulling from the buffered clock output section though, and you may have to do something to shorten the pulse. Each LED is attached to an output of a CD4028 Bin to Dec converter. Each one is a discrete pulse (high state) for the duration of the step. (around +13V) The outputs of the 4028 are buffered, so you could probably tap these safely.

If you were using an AD envelope (or anything with little or no sustain,) the gate length shouldn't really matter, if I'm not mistaken.

This area of the board is pretty tight trace-wise, but you could tap off of the resistor leads (that are connected to each LED) if you wanted to try modding this in. Or, you could pull from the LED header, and attach the LEDs to your gate switches (or similar.) I can do a quick test with some alligator leads, and just see how well this works as a gate.
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BOM will be up soon.
synthnut
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi,

The gate length needs to be less than 100% duty or you won't get a re-trigger when two consecutive notes have their gates selected. Though it's actually nice to be able to have the notes legato sometimes too! I'd need to AND it with the clock perhaps.
I think I leaning towards some of the complex version...! hyper

TTFN

Ben
www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, I think I may be leaning towards the complex version too, if only for the ability to Reset and turn the Gate On/Off per step.

What I meant about the pulse-width of the Gate output compared to the Clock input is:
Does it produce a pulse of fixed length per step?
Or, is it simply a Clock "through-put"?

They way I would retain the pulse-width of the input is by ANDing the Clock signal and Gate output like Synthnut said.
But when there is no means of selecting Gate On/Off per step, that seems kind of silly, just buffer the Clock input to use as the Gate output.
Unless, the Gate is fixed length.
Not sure if I'm making much sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: