MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Request: melodic FM tutorial on HD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Request: melodic FM tutorial on HD
READYdot
So I'd like to see someone using an HD and doing some nice melodic stuff with FM. Anyone? I'd love to see that on video with some explaining. I just rarely get anything useable out of the HD with FM... that would be really schaweeet! This is fun!
exper
+1
sandyb
try this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21533&highlight=hert z+donut

there are other relevant ones too if you do a search for hertz donut in the harvestman subforum.
loopt
READYdot wrote:
So I'd like to see someone using an HD and doing some nice melodic stuff with FM. Anyone? I'd love to see that on video with some explaining. I just rarely get anything useable out of the HD with FM... that would be really schaweeet! This is fun!

As I was praising the HD for melodic stuff in the other thread, I will provide some examples.
No video, though. I don't have a video camera.

For a start, something I recently recorded:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/loopt/delv4[/s]
It starts out with pure Hertz Donut. At 25s the Piston Honda joins in. I don't remember the complete patch, but I think the Triple Wavefolder fed by HD+PH also plays a part later on.
Navs
You don't need a video, just use your ears wink

Start off by monitoring the principal's sine, use best tracking and put the (sine also) modulator's pitch knob at midday. This equates to no offset/ deviation from the principal's pitch and should result in a saw wave-ish sound when you raise the modulation index. Move the modulator's fine tune a bit to get more clangorous tones. Once you've sussed that, you can use dynamic FM (an envelope to the index etc.).

Check out William H's FM tutorial and PDF for the theory:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2008/11/patch-of-day-fm-ratio-stepp er.html

The thing with deep lin FM is that at certain indexes, it will sound like the pitch has changed/ you've lost the fundamental. If you don't want to do the maths to get useable tones, again, just use your ears. For example, I sometimes find it easier to tune to the modulator rather than the principle.
Navs
Looks like the video has been moved.

It's now here: http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=148
Paranormal Patroler
Loopt, that was such a nice piece I listened to it twice over. thumbs up
pas
loopt! that was excellent, one of the finest morton feldman-esque synth pieces i think i've ever heard. applause
READYdot
Thnx to all of ya! And sorry for being a lazy bitch... (I had jsut been looking for vids on YT and Vimeo). Looks like the HD and me are going to have a serious "tête-à-tête"! And thnks Loopt for the really inspiring track!
loopt
Thanks for the compliments. Glad you like my track.

Navs already talked you through the basics of FM synthesis and he is a real authority. Read his blog and you will learn a lot about modular synthesis.

A smooth HD voice mostly starts out with sine on sine internal FM in perfect tracking mode and without any discontinuity. Mod index low to moderate. Find a sound you like via altering the pitch of the mod osc, make the mod index dynamic and you are in business.

A lot of people seem to immediately use the multi modulation routings, high discontinuity, saw or square waveforms and bad tracking. You will get beautiful noise and mayhem that way, but no smooth tones. The HD calls for some basic understanding of FM synthesis and a bit of discipline in (not) using its many features. It is a flexible instrument with a wide range of possible sounds.
Human Koala

the squarish sound is a hz donut filtered

HK
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
nice!!!

Explain the patch jerk!
READYdot
I don't get it. I get those FM sounds, but they still sound glitchy and dirty, not a lot but enough to annoy me. And it seems the outputs are so hot no matter which of my attenuators (fonitronik, Maths, etc.) I use, there is a lot of distortion happening. I'm beginning to think that I got a broken HD...
Human Koala
very simple Hz donut -> qmmg -> stg wavefolder & min/max from doepfer
sin osc, perfect tracking ( all the led light up ) , fm, no waveshaping, carefull choosed interval (+7 something like that)
bsmith
This is maybe worth mentioning as well...

governor blacksnake wrote:
Due to popular demand I've revamped the FM scheme and tracked down some internal sources of noise responsible for the "clicking" behavior (i call it fret buzz). A big part of it is due to the "unconventional" manner that I used to generate the square wave outputs - if these are disabled under the new rules then the crackling vanishes under all areas of modulation. So, holding down the mod dest button toggles the activity of the sqr outs. If you want them on but don't mind a little crackle, hold it down for a second. Do it again and they turn off, but things are nice and clean again. If you want the square outputs on without crackle, I can't help you with that.

So, I'm finishing up the fine details of the new firmware and then I can start taking units in for the upgrade. No component replacement is necessary, so it will only cost you return postage to have it performed ($8 US, $15 world). Since all I have to do is take the module out of the shipping container, plug it in, upload new firmware, and re-calibrate before re-sealing and returning, I can offer an extremely short turnaround time on this operation compared to other repairs or upgrades. Stay tuned to theharvestman.org for details and a printable work request form to facilitate your module upgrade.

You can figure out what version of firmware you have just based on the square/button hold behavior scott describes.
loopt
READYdot wrote:
...FM sounds...glitchy and dirty...annoy me...distortion happening...broken HD...

hmmm.....
Attached you hear pure Hertz Donut. No filtering, just through my matrix mixer and into the audio interface. A cycling ramp produced by a Maths is driving the modulation index. Later on I wiggle the frequency of the modulation osc.
Bad photo:

Are you sure that you have the Waveform Discontinuity at zero?
READYdot
bsmith wrote:
This is maybe worth mentioning as well...

governor blacksnake wrote:
Due to popular demand I've revamped the FM scheme and tracked down some internal sources of noise responsible for the "clicking" behavior (i call it fret buzz). A big part of it is due to the "unconventional" manner that I used to generate the square wave outputs - if these are disabled under the new rules then the crackling vanishes under all areas of modulation. So, holding down the mod dest button toggles the activity of the sqr outs. If you want them on but don't mind a little crackle, hold it down for a second. Do it again and they turn off, but things are nice and clean again. If you want the square outputs on without crackle, I can't help you with that.

So, I'm finishing up the fine details of the new firmware and then I can start taking units in for the upgrade. No component replacement is necessary, so it will only cost you return postage to have it performed ($8 US, $15 world). Since all I have to do is take the module out of the shipping container, plug it in, upload new firmware, and re-calibrate before re-sealing and returning, I can offer an extremely short turnaround time on this operation compared to other repairs or upgrades. Stay tuned to theharvestman.org for details and a printable work request form to facilitate your module upgrade.

You can figure out what version of firmware you have just based on the square/button hold behavior scott describes.

That's it! Square off, nice and clean and sexy!!! Thnx! Also a big thank you to Loopt for all the work!!! Love this community!!! thumbs up
dougcl
Human Koala wrote:

the squarish sound is a hz donut filtered

HK

Awesome. I went to comment on this vid, but I see I already did a year ago smile
READYdot
Love you guys! Here's some short track to show you my appreciation and what I was able to achieve! SlayerBadger!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/readydot/prelude-to-a-donut[/s]
reignbear
READYdot wrote:
Love you guys! Here's some short track to show you my appreciation and what I was able to achieve! SlayerBadger!

SlayerBadger!
loopt
READYdot wrote:

thumbs up
Beautifully glassy stuff.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1