MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listen to Wiggler Radio - Click Here

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
[pcb] terminal tedium etc (rpi stereo DAC w/ puredata)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author [pcb] terminal tedium etc (rpi stereo DAC w/ puredata)
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: [pcb] terminal tedium etc (rpi stereo DAC w/ puredata) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

***** terminal tedium update (see below for original rpio post)

this is a slight remake of the "rpio" pcm5102a DAC board, suitable for use with raspberry pi models A+ and B+ as well as odroid w.

and getting there --

view from behind (w/o rpi):

run down of i/o --

here's some kind of demo (actually, just me running a check on the clock inputs; so that's some sample vs pinging a LPG (fed some FM'ed sine wave). all clocks from 4ms QCD. based on the oneshot example in pd (that's also where the "soft and relaxing" sample comes from.))

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/179171901" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

BOM and panel svg is here: https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedium

build guide here:
https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedium/wiki

teensy 3.1 adapter (works in place of the raspberry/odroid):
https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedium/tree/master/teensy_tedium

boards are 8 euro.

here's the list so far:

terminal tedium:

- monstrinho [2] [sent]
- igormpc
- hippasus [sent]
- marcelds [sent]
- money bags [?]
- magneticstripper [sent]
- oberkorn [sent]
- dropmotif [sent]
- falafelbiels [sent]
- burkaygur [?]
- cold_fashioned [?]
- c1t1zen [2] [sent]
- spotta [1]
- mono-poly [2] [sent]
- clive.grace [sent]

constantin3000 came up with a supercollider thing (and a OSC solution for handling the ADC, in C) : PiCollider

the rpio BOM etc still can be found here:

github.com/mxmxmx/rpio

here's the old/rpio demo:
Quote:

not sure how useful this is in demonstrating the sound quality of the thing ... but here's a few minutes of not-particularly-inspired audio
[s]http://soundcloud.com/menschenimhotel/rpio-1/s-UHNCv[/s]

Quote:
... courtesy of PCM5102A, which is an i2s stereo audio DAC. the point was/is to get decent sound quality at modular synth levels, rather than having to use an usb audio interface or the native pwm output. at any rate, this isn't supposed to show off some pd patch.

.. sorry i didn't come up with something more decent (or at least systematic); truth is, i didn't get round to spending a great deal of time on/with the software side of things, so it's just some fairly straightforward pitch shifting and time-stretching, where pitch and stretch factor are controlled by control voltages (some random-ish sample+hold stuff; not that it's noticeable).

i figured i use some voice sample (suzanne ciani), which is what you can hear the first 10 seconds or so. that's just the wav file (aplay), the remainders is puredata resp. csound. edit: updated the file to make it somewhat less repetitive. it's still just various samples run through a phase vocoder patch; from around 1:00 you'll notice it's actually two rpios, one sounding a bit duller as it went through a
PT2399 based delay, with the feedback cranked up.

the outputs go into a L-1 stereo mixer (one via the delay) then straight into my audio interface. everything is stereo, 16bit 44.1khz (pd) or 48khz (aplay). well, some of the wav files were actually converted from mp3.

Last edited by mxmxmx on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:51 am; edited 24 times in total
kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Always a silly thing to say in the DIY section, but... I'd love to read this module could be built for someone (me hint) or at least a project kit with instructions could hit the market. I have a Phonogene and this would compliment it well.

Good job and nice panel graphic.

videos
ModularGrid
Matos
Modular masturbator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow! Super interesting! Is there a thread that goes into detail of this project? My search has left me with nothing.
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there's some more details in this thread

in essence: 6 CV inputs (bipolar), 2 (now 3) digital inputs, 10vpp stereo outs. it's (deliberately) all very generic and simple. i'll post the gerbers + info once i've built up the revised circuit (this one works, but had two little errors)

as to DIY, well, it's meant to be diy. and cheap, too. it's SMD though, necessarily so, those audio DACs tend to come in SMD only (20 TSSOP in this case). but that's the only somewhat tricky part to solder. i did it, and i'm not particularly good at soldering.

in theory, you can get pre-populated rpi DAC boards for just under 30 euro; it wouldn't be a big deal to adapt the module so that it could alternatively interface with that DAC board (hifiberry). it'll still be SMD, but with less tiny parts?

crowhurst
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thumbs up!

I'd also lust for further info on this cookie?!?
crowhurst
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
there's some more details in this thread

ah well - you've beaten me already thumbs up
sgnelson
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very cool, I just bought a raspi to play with for my modular as well, so it's great to see someone doing the same thing.
webb
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can't wait for the gerbers to be posted! I haven't done smd yet on my cnc mill but its worth a shot.
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

webb wrote:
Can't wait for the gerbers to be posted! I haven't done smd yet on my cnc mill but its worth a shot.

it's mostly 1206 parts, so if you manage with through hole, that shouldn't be an issue. as to the gerbers, i still haven't finalized things but i guess i might as well run it by people here before submitting it to some pcb house.

this is how it looks at the moment (i'd post a schematic but i've drawn this from hand, so there is none) (edit: updated pic):

6 CVs, 3 digital inputs, 2 outputs. it'll fit behind 20HP. not so different from the module you see in the picture above, mostly i've just rerouted a couple of traces and got rid of a few bugs. (in case you were wondering, the bottom row of jacks is partly off-board to stay below 100mm, which makes things much cheaper)

there's nothing special about the i/o circuitry, just a few inverting op amps to mix/scale the CVs to 0-3v3 plus some input protection (series resistor and schottky clamps). the digital inputs just use transistors. the output side is pretty much as per datasheet plus, of course, some gain stage. bottom side of the pcb is solid ground plane.

not that expect a great deal of interest, but here's one thing i am wondering about:

- add pads to use with hifiberry DAC ? (http://www.hifiberry.com/dac), in case someone dislikes the idea of soldering TSSOP parts. that'll make things easier, but will add to the BOM, considerably (4 $ for the DAC vs 40 $ for the DAC board). (from a noise point-of-view, having a separate board for the DAC certainly isn't a bad thing though).

edit2. well, i managed to cram in the rpi mounting holes after all, and two tact switches, too. so the whole thing eventually should/might like so (20 HP):

Last edited by mxmxmx on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
sebiiksbcs
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yessss
c1t1zen
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm loving all these mini-computers inside modular panels! Please let me know if you offer up a DIY kit. Or at least the processes to do it on our own.

Great stuff.
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

c1t1zen wrote:
I'm loving all these mini-computers inside modular panels! Please let me know if you offer up a DIY kit. Or at least the processes to do it on our own.

sure, but definitely no kits. even if i had the time to do it, i'd be surprised if i sold 10, so there's no point in buying things in bulk either. it's all commonly available parts, anyways. i will/can, as mentioned, simply post the gerbers. it's just that i want to make sure everything is ok with the revised board before letting it out into the open.

edit: new boards are in

won't get near a soldering iron any time soon though.
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

build one up now and everything seems to be working out nicely this time round ... slightly improved layout, too. except the two tact switches, which i couldn't fit anywhere else.

bottom side w/ mounting screw. probably should get one of those smallish microSD adapters though.

anyone who got one of the first run of proto boards and hasn't built it yet, let me know, i have a couple of spare boards left.
rosch
roadkill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'd be interested to build this too, i like the sound.
and i need to do something with my Raspberry hihi
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rosch wrote:
and i need to do something with my Raspberry :hihi:

that was my thinking, i never really used mine.

and sure, i can send you one - doucheland is where i am?

as to the sound, i actually haven't compared things with the native pwm output. i *think* the DAC sounds much nicer (well, it better should have) but that might just be psychological. anyways, i didn't mean to show off the pd patch, that was just put together really quick.
money bags
eat the rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if its possible to program it without a Raspberry I would like one.
rosch
roadkill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mxmxmx wrote:
rosch wrote:
and i need to do something with my Raspberry hihi

that was my thinking, i never really used mine.

and sure, i can send you one - doucheland is where i am?

yes BRD, and that would be great!
mxmxmx
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

money bags wrote:

not sure i understand - you don't program it at all, it's entirely dumb just by itself. it's more like a plug-and-play sound card for the raspberry, and a converter so that the rpi can be controlled with control voltages rather than a keyboard (that bit is slightly less plug and play)

you could of course attach any other microcontroller or SoC that comes with SPI and I2S, but in that case i think i'd just use a pcb customised for that specific micro/purpose.

at any rate, without a raspberry or similar, it's not going to do much. (that said, not having to program a great deal (as in DSP) is part of the appeal, it's more about using programs (such as pd or csound)).
monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just wondering, could this be built with banana jacks, or is there a reason (electronically) that it would need mini-jacks? Also, is the supply voltage critical? (i.e. could it run on +/-15v without modifications)?
money bags
eat the rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mxmxmx wrote:
money bags wrote:

not sure i understand - you don't program it at all, it's entirely dumb just by itself. it's more like a plug-and-play sound card for the raspberry, and a converter so that the rpi can be controlled with control voltages rather than a keyboard (that bit is slightly less plug and play)

you could of course attach any other microcontroller or SoC that comes with SPI and I2S, but in that case i think i'd just use a pcb customised for that specific micro/purpose.

at any rate, without a raspberry or similar, it's not going to do much. (that said, not having to program a great deal (as in DSP) is part of the appeal, it's more about using programs (such as pd or csound)).

im a little confused. what i really want to know is can i upload PD data from osx? or its only for RPI?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: