MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
What Voltages actually are CV Signals
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author What Voltages actually are CV Signals
allears62
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: What Voltages actually are CV Signals Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi, I'm considering getting into expanding my modular using either an arduino or a raspberry pi (purely cause I already own one) using the GPIO. But I was wondering and can't find a simple explanation anywhere, what is the actual range of control voltage? (I use eurorack is that makes any difference!)
loopt
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This page on the Doepfer website explains everything.
allears62
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome cheers! I hadn't found that one, so the 0-5v I can produce from the Pi would make and ok CV then?
Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if you realise but you may only be able to output 0v or 5V from your Arduino GPIOs, not sure about the Raspberry PI as I havent played with one. CV voltages are variable so you may have to add some extra circuitry to get voltages between 0v and +5V (e.g. some sort of filtering to shape PWM or feeding multiple ports to a DAC which while easy isnt really a good use of the i/o ports )

Have a look at Electric Druid's website he has some info on using micro-contollers to generate wavefroms and CVs (OK he is using a PIC but the theory is the same)

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Euro uses various ranges of voltages for different functions. -5v to +5v is the general analog control and signal range for most modules. Digital signals, like gates and triggers, may be 0 to +5v, 0 to +7v or 0 to +10v, depending on who made the module.

To get an analog voltage you need to either use a D to A (D-A) converter, or use a GPIO pulse that is pulse-width modulated into a filter or integrator. GPIO signals by themselves tend to be simple on/off (0 to +5v) type of signals with no analog range between. You can still use them directly as CV voltages. But they only have two states: high and low.

EDIT: oops, I wrote A-D instead of D-A. now fixed.

Last edited by daverj on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Nantonos
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

daverj wrote:

To get an analog voltage you need to either use an A to D (A-D) converter,

obvious typo but just too be clear; a D to A (digital to analog converter, DAC). Here is an explanation of DACs for the RPi.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All of them?
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

although you can find the eurorack 'standards' as per the link on doepfer's page earlier in the thread, it's worth condisering that to make a module fit to the true spirit of modular synths it's nice to have all signals totally interchangeable and cross compatible whether 'cv' or 'audio' - i.e. allow the module to be miodulated by vcos in the cv in's and be dc coupled so it can process cv signals through the audio path.

sometimes this may only be achievable by offsets, attenuators, attenuverters or multipole sockets with different range, normalling an other functions, but it';s nice to be able to connect any module in any way ytou can imagine where possible.

Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/
daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nantonos wrote:
daverj wrote:

To get an analog voltage you need to either use an A to D (A-D) converter,

obvious typo but just too be clear; a D to A (digital to analog converter, DAC). Here is an explanation of DACs for the RPi.

Oops. Typing faster than thinking. I fixed the post.

paperCUT
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PhineasFreak wrote:
although you can find the eurorack 'standards' as per the link on doepfer's page earlier in the thread, it's worth condisering that to make a module fit to the true spirit of modular synths it's nice to have all signals totally interchangeable and cross compatible whether 'cv' or 'audio' - i.e. allow the module to be miodulated by vcos in the cv in's and be dc coupled so it can process cv signals through the audio path.

sometimes this may only be achievable by offsets, attenuators, attenuverters or multipole sockets with different range, normalling an other functions, but it';s nice to be able to connect any module in any way ytou can imagine where possible.

Exactly. Audio and CV mean the same thing in modular world. Digital and analog the same.

Anywhere from -12v to +12v, 0Hz to 1,000,000kHz is the standard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: