MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
do you need an MN3101 to clock an MN3005?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author do you need an MN3101 to clock an MN3005?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: do you need an MN3101 to clock an MN3005? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...or can you just use a 555 timer? seriously, i just don't get it

if you do, whats so special about the MN3101?
GrantB
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Check out the datasheets for the MN3101 and MN3005.

You will see that the system uses two clock pulses (CP1, CP2) that are inverse of each other to move charges through the line of buckets by alternately charging and discharging the even and odd buckets. MN3005 page 2 "Circuit Diagram".

Also the MN3101 provides the necessary gate power supply (Vgg) of 14/15ths of the drain voltage (Vdd) to the MN3005.

So that's what's special about the MN3101.

I don't see why you couldn't try to duplicate this functionality with other parts. Unless you're just looking for a fun learning exercise, I would stick with the program though. My experience with these chips is mostly in repairing stuff, and they can be confusing and mysterious even with the correct parts in the simplest implementations.
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had this on my hard-drive - from ETI magazine.
Sure I had an EH schem too which used the 4046 to generate the two phase drivers.
Never tested this out 'cos I've never really tried BBDs but maybe of help.

eat the kids first

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sweet! Thanks people.
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...wait, whats that grounded dashed circle around the output mean? hmmm.....
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're ground 'guard tracks' - if you were doing a PCB you should put ground traces around the outputs of this circuit. Not totally sure, but if you're perf-boarding you could probably either just keep the wires as short as possible or use shielded wire (just grounded at one end).

There's a mention of similar on the CGS Analogue Shift Register project:
http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs34_asr.html

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way it's drawn I would thing it's representing a two conductor shielded wire connecting this circuit to another circuit board with the bucket brigade chip.
PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

daverj wrote:
The way it's drawn I would thing it's representing a two conductor shielded wire connecting this circuit to another circuit board with the bucket brigade chip.

I thought the same thing.

Anyway, to answer the original question, you don't need the MN3101, as there are many delays using the MN3005 that don't use it. However, you need to do much more research before trying to design an original circuit using an MN3005, otherwise you might destroy the chip.
raveboyy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
you don't need the MN3101, as there are many delays using the MN3005 that don't use it

Could you point to some schematic? love
designator
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.geofex.com/pcb_layouts/layouts/ultrafln.pdf

This uses a CD4049 and a CD4046.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: