MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
From schematic to perfboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author From schematic to perfboard
grilojoe
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: From schematic to perfboard Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi all help

I've never been good at translating a schematic to perfboard despite reading tips & tricks and just giving it the ol' college try. So far my success rate is pretty low.

Now I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm trying to translate this schematic

onto perfboard small enough to fit into an Altoids tin and do it quickly. I know it's a pretty simple circuit, but I just struggle with laying components out on perfboard. I don't know why I just don't get it, but I don't.

I'm trying to get this done for a class project. I'm working on a short deadline and while it's not absolutely imperative that the circuit work, having a functioning device will set the whole project apart.

help? advice?
NorthernLightX
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try Lochmaster to lay out the perfboard up front.

Also I think it's best practice to connect the unconnected side of pot R1 to the wiper.

Good luck!
Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is it exactly where you are struggling with?
I myself don't make a perf layout beforehand, i just try to accommodate the components and keep plenty of room around the IC's. The beauty of perf is that you can several isolated wires and components over eachother.

And you know you also need something that produces fast light pulses to make sound, right?
amdagan
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I use Eagle for stripboard layouts now... (hides)
Bottom layer = existing stripboard copper lanes, top layer = jumper connections that I'll make.

Used to do it "spontaneously" like Jarno but the result was lots of mistakes and rework (I tend to solder late at night), so now I do the layout first, and then when I get to my soldering corner I just solder without thinking too much. Eagle was a natural choice for me cos I already use it for other stuff - YMMV. Pen & paper is good too but doesn't have built-in checking for unconnected components etc. And I always lose them...
roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer stripboard over veroboard. diylc is what I use for creating layouts: http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/

i agree with amdagan - while on the fly vero/stripboarding does work, it's much more error prone. especially when trying to make a compact layout ...

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used paper, pencil and eraser because I was much faster by using that method than by using Lochmaster (which I sold for exactly that reason).

After drawing I double checked every connection.

Edit: I started with the ICs. and tried to use the components themselves for creating bridges.

goab
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you tried Fritzing? It's pretty good for these things. And free.

http://fritzing.org/

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^ +1 Having recently tried it, bloody amazing.
http://twitter.com/daren_ager
My Monotribe ModsBlog
"If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo." - Bruce Lee
ucacjbs
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another pencil and paper user here.

I use gridded paper - each intersection of the grid represents a hole on the perfboard/stripboard. I first of all count the number of holes in each dimension of the board I'm using and then number those rows and columns on the grid paper with ink. These numbers (across the top and down one side of the grid) help me keep things aligned with reality when I come to place components on the board itself. If there are any holes drilled in the perfboard for mounting, I then 'x' those out with ink. If the perfboard isn't rectangular, I 'x' out the holes that, er, don't exist, in ink.

With that done, I've usually place an IC and start from there. At this point everything's in pencil. If I need to rub it out, I can do so without messing up the ink labels and 'x's.
sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ucacjbs wrote:
I use gridded paper

Yap, forgot to mention that and didn't even knew the English translation until know. thumbs up

ucacjbs wrote:
With that done, I've usually place an IC and start from there.

Yeah, that's what I meant with 'I started with the ICs'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: