MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM-120 in a frac?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author MOTM-120 in a frac?
markthecolossus
I recently decided that 5U was not the way I wanted to go, and since I only own 2 modules getting out of it would be an easy enough feat. I kind of want to keep the modules I have though. One is an MOTM-120 the other is a quad lfo.

So my question is: Does anyone out there have any experience trying to stuff a motm-120 (and quad lfo) behind a frac face plate? Is it possible? Is it ugly? Should I just sell em and be done with it?

Mark
consumed
as long as one side of the pcb will slide inbetween the mounting rails it is entirely do-able. but you might be better off selling the 5u modules and building new ones since you've got board-mounted expensive pots in there that will be ruined when you desolder them, and you'll end up with a panel you dont need.

for mounting, you can bracket the pcbs up or screw them to the panel with a couple l-brackets metalbox style.
scozbor
i have built a motm 120 in frac. its currently behind a temp panel. will also be building a few other motms in frac!

the pcb does not slide vertically between the blacet rack rails! it is too large. I did not check this until the module was finished haha

I have been using my own DIY way of securing the pcb to the panel. it's essentially a 1 pot bracket. you can see a pic of the bracket here https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1482&start=15

As it's only secured by 1 pot I was actually able to rotate the bracket enough so the pcb fits between the rack on an angle! and to top it off I added the tellun expansion pcb.

it's totally doable! but it's not easy!

**edit >> PHOTOS!

this is the most stuffed 2space frac module i've seen!
markthecolossus
I think I am going to to just sell my motm stuff. I designed a new faceplate for the 120, laid it all out, and then realized I never really used it anyway and was just blinded by the "whoa neat" factor. Thanks for the input guys.

Also that is a very crowded face plate.

mark
scozbor
markthecolossus wrote:

Also that is a very crowded face plate.
mark

almost as crowded as the blacet vco hihi
BananaPlug
FYI, I put a MOTM-440 behind a 3" wide frac panel. The PCB just fits between the rails.
e-grad
Yes, some MOTM PCBs fit the frac standard. I've build the MOTM190 VCA and the MOTM485 VCF in frac with pcb-mounted pots.
scozbor
about to tackle the 440 and 300vco hyper
BananaPlug
Quote:
about to tackle the 440 and 300vco

Here's my 440. It's not the prettiest panel but I love the filter. This panel was made from a Blacet blank panel and I didn't really have my tools and technique together when I did it so hole placement was not precise. Getting six pots to fit in Frac requires some precision!
scozbor
^^^ looks fucking great to me SlayerBadger!
I think i will be limiting to 2 inputs also.
would love to see the back? (oh. i see it's screwed in)

i am also using the blacet blank panels. the pre-drilled holes are great!
and I have finally decided on hand-drawn panel graphics with a fine tipped silver paint pen. cheap and lots of character 8_)
BananaPlug

The front panel is the Blacet blank (for stiffness) with a piece of two-layer sign plastic on the front for the graphics. I got somebody to laser etch it for me.
Moog$FooL$
Rawk!

very nice, looks like nice work from here.
Cat-A-Tonic
I agree!
Thanks for sharing the full-frontal love & rear love photos Scozbor & BananaPlug.
It is always an inspiration to see other peoples' builds, rehousings, and modifications.
we're not worthy
scozbor
BananaPlug wrote:

The front panel is the Blacet blank (for stiffness) with a piece of two-layer sign plastic on the front for the graphics. I got somebody to laser etch it for me.

what pots are you using? are you putting them in the top pre-drilled holes on the blacet blank?

I find that 16mm alphas hit the rack rails if i use the top pre drilled hole.
i move it down a bit with a file.
paults
Nice work!
BananaPlug
To Scozbor: Yes the pots were a very tight fit and I did a fair amount of fudging with the file.

To Paults: we're not worthy Nice filter, worth the effort. Thanks.
photon
I've done a few MOTM designs in Frac and haven't had any problems.

I did a 101 Noise/Sample & Hold and a 120 Sub-Octave Multiplexer in the standard 3" wide frac panel and a 190 µVCA on a 1.5 wide half-frac (!) eek! .
Theres a 440 Discrete OTA LPF in my que right now. I'll post some pics if you'd like.

Peter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1