MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Duofonik dual SSM2044 board and euro adapter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  

Would you want a dual SSM2044 board?
yes, I have some SSM2044s sitting waiting for something!
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
ye,s but only if I could get tested non fake SSM2044s for it.
53%
 53%  [ 33 ]
Yes, and Ill find the SSM2044s myself.
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
No, thank you.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 62

Author Duofonik dual SSM2044 board and euro adapter.
Neutron7
I have some of these left for people with SSMs, however the chips have become expensive and plagued with fakes/rejects, so when they are gone, that is all.

This design will be replicated with a dual core ladder filter using modern SMD transistors, stay tuned!

final board as sent off for run1/prototype

the difference between this and Fonik board:

Dual board

inverting input available on filters

has inputs to control both filters resonance and frequency at the same time

A, B and MIX outputs. inverting one input will get you a bndpass on the mix out.

divergence control. works great with mixer, powerful "through zero" modulation of bandwidth (not the control voltage going "through zero" but the bandwidth. it will go down till it is nothing then cross and start expanding again with inverted audio)

option to have master frequency control pot (controls both)

option to have master Q control pot (controls both)

a lot of features could be doubled up for 2 boards, for instance the master frequency and Q could go to both boards, the mixers could be shared as well, for a lot of cancellation/reinforcement shenanigans.

CGS style "sum" pads for DIY mods (frequency CV, Q CV and mix bus.)

MOTM or euro power.

size= 4.2" x 2.1"

First proto run is in production. the price difference for a lot more boards was silly, so I took the risk there wont be any massive errors. it a bet my boards will be good, vs waiting another 2 or 3 weeks turn around. if it pays off, then 50 boards!

If perfect or only in need of minor fix, it will be available (with any fixes done) around the end of Jan 2012 . I have a limited number of tested SSM2044s as well.
Junk Rhythm
How big is the PCB and is there an estimate on the price?
J3RK
I still haven't built my Somatic board yet, but this looks great! Sounds flexible. Looks like it could be roughly 2.5 x 5ish? Just a rough estimate based on chip sizes.

I might be in for one of these, but I need to grab a couple more 2044s.

I like the power connector configuration. thumbs up
consumed
i definitely want a diy ssm2044 filter, but would need to secure good ssm2044 ics as part of the deal
Neutron7
The board is 2.1 x 4.25 which is (Correct me if i am wrong) short enough to fit euro/frac.

The price will depend on how many i order. somewhere from $15-25.

I would buy and test some SSM2044s but i can not work out the price yet. they vary quite a lot. (from $5 at UTsource) and up to ridiculous prices. I am hoping the UTsource ones are ok, Im ordering a few from them, for now.
Junk Rhythm
Neutron7 wrote:
The board is 2.1 x 4.25 which is (Correct me if i am wrong) short enough to fit euro/frac.

That will fit in Euro for sure. EDITED Just realized that you mentioned in another thread that you have a bunch.
negativspace
4.25 should fit, my rule of thumb is 4.2 but it's awfully close either way. I'm interested but would need 2044s - even just a link to a source would satisfy me.
Neutron7
negativspace wrote:
4.25 should fit, my rule of thumb is 4.2 but it's awfully close either way. I'm interested but would need 2044s - even just a link to a source would satisfy me.

I'll try and shave off another 0.1" but it's pretty tight.
Neutron7
Well there was no room to make it smaller, but i moved the output connector so the wires wont stick out at the end of the board, and euro people will not have to squeeze wires past the mounting rails.

(see first post fol latest board)

to keep things easy, both "sides" have the same component numbers as Foniks schematic. with some additional components.

RA 47k for master Resonance CV
RB 100k for master Frequency CV
RC 100k for master Frequency Pot
RD 4.7k for negative input
RM is the extra 47k resistor for the "wider range" mod use a jumper if you don't want that.
CA 10u for negative input (oops, forgot to mark it, its next to c10)
all unmarked boxes are 100n(0.1) capacitors rather than 10n
H1 master bus header, so multiple boards can share the master controls.
The header will work with boards back to back or stacked the same way around)
choke beads are used instead of 22R resistors 1 and 2, but you can use resistors if you like.
Neutron7
I have another question, which i will ask here rather than starting a new poll

It would be desirable to mix the outputs because when you mix a low pass filter with an inverted version at a different frequency you can get a band pass, with different contours depending on the amount and res of each one.

If you could attenuvert the second filters CV input it would be nice as well. so you could modulate up or down the "difference" from the master CV.

It might also be nice to have a series/parallel switch and a couple of other things.

the question is, what option and why would you prefer it:

1: make a bigger board, nobody's going to put it in a panel that small anyways! (for low profile euro boats)
2: keep the board the same size and make a daughterboard (expensive and i might end up sitting on a lot of them)
3: make a "snappable" board where you can snap off the option part and discard or use it as a daughterboard (a bit more expensive, and cant be done on prototype boards)(kind of all or nothing)
4: don't bother and let people work out that stuff on stripboard or whatever. (keep the price low, and i can send it off soon, after checking my traces a few more times)

when i send them off i will get 10, if they work as expected, or only with a minor documentable and easy fix. i will be able to release 6-8 of those (with any fix that might be needed done)
If there is demand,I will get more(with fixes if needed)

RE: tested SSM2044s, it seems like a popular option after "i have some already"
I have ordered a small batch of SSM2044s, and will be working out a testing setup, using one of the boards and a ZIF socket, I will be able to "certify" them and maybe even do some matching, the better matched they are the better they will both follow the master controls together.
synthnut
Hehe,

Well, being a MU person, I'm up for a bigger board of course!
Interesting though if you came up with a design that had the "snap-off" concept, but was sawable in the prototypes for those with less space.

Also it would have been fun to include a feature like the shruthi and have a hi pass, thought the band pass optio is interesting I've got a whoe stack of 2044s ( not that I've tested them!!!) so it would be good to get them to work.

I like the dual filter concept used in the Crumar Spirit a lot, though I'm biased in that this was my first synth too!

Quote:
"The UPPER FILTER U and LOWER FILTER L section contains five rotary controls and three rocker switches. The FILTER UPPER is a variable resonance Low-Pass filter with either 12dB or 24dB cutoff, whilst the LOWER L is selectable as Parametric Boost or High-Pass. The MASTER rotary pot moves the cutoff frequency for both UPPER and LOWER filters, whilst the LOWER ONLY sets the relative frequency of FILTER L. The Cutoff point coincides if the LOWER ONLY control is set to 8. The UPPER FILTER may be selected as LOW resonance (0.5Q) or VARIABLE, set by the RESONANCE knob. The FILTER LOWER resonance is always set by the RESONANCE control. Both filters may track the keyboard at a rate set by KB AMOUNT, or FILTER L may be set as a static FORMANT filter. In the DYNAMIC setting FILTER L is modulated by the FILTER ENVELOPE as FILTER U. The filters also have an OVERDRIVE setting for extra fuzz!"

Anyway, don't want to de-rail the topic...!

Keep wiggling.

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
PF
This one would be something for my system..

im in for one board and ssm2044 chip if its possible.
fonik
great design. i never got around to do another batch of mine, since i don't use expressPCB anymore and i would had to design a new one in eagle.
hey, if i had not two ssm2044 in my system already, i would buy two PCBs myself...
thumbs up

EDIT: thank you for doing this and asking me about it up-front. this is a great community...
xpmtl
I would take one.

I have 2 of Matthias boards waiting in the backlog but the master control and inputs to control both filters resonance and frequency at the same time is something that would be super nice.

x
Neutron7
I started working on the attenuverters and mixer parts, and decided it might as well go on a (compatible) separate board, because it would be a handy thing to have on its own.
Junk Rhythm
I have 4 extra SSM2044 if anyone needs them. They are from a group buy that are known to be legit. $10 shipped within the US. International, let's talk.

I would have posted this in the B/S/T Forum but I wanted to make sure the DIY guys get first shot at them. thumbs up
Neutron7
I just made a breadboard version, It works very well.I tested 14 SSM2044 and they were all good, just minor variation to the frequency as set, and how much the "self osc" trimmer had to be st to.

I have made a few changes since last time,
The board is a little smaller (4.2x2.1)

decoupling caps are now SMD or "solder to bottom pad" hopefully lots of people are used to this from CGS, JH, etc.

there is an onboard mixer which will mix the 2 filters output. when one is using the inverting input, that will give you a bandpass. (you can make pseudo high pass, if you set the higher filters frequency really high)
If neither or both filter is not inverted, then the output will be louder (if they are still running from the same source)
there are separate outs as well, of course.

the A side has a trimmer to null the outputs when the filters are cancelling each other. (could also be brought out as a control)

there is a "divergence" control on one of the frequency inputs one goes up while the other goes down, and vice versa. this iis quite cool with one filter inverted because they do a sort of "through zero" thing where the band opens back up with inverted audio after reaching and passing the equal value.

thesre are still "a+b" (both sides controlled at once) available for a Q CV. a f CV, and option for Master frequency pot instead of 2 separate ones.

Because i wanted to keep it small, I got rid of the "2 board" headers, but there are pads available if people really wanted to do that.

After i double and triple check this i will send off for a small quantity.
negativspace
That looks excellent! Can't wait.
Jarno
Oh man, i have three of these already! Very nice layout and especially feature set though!

Neutron, did you see my reply on the shield modulator?
Junk Rhythm
I'll take one PCB when they are finished.
Dirk95100
I want 2 pcb´s.
Isaiah
Looks interesting!

Is there a complete feature set, or list of inputs, outputs and controls please?

Thanks!
boothnavy
Yeah, any idea of cost if you include the chips?

probably up for a board and the 2 chips.
Neutron7
Isaiah wrote:
Looks interesting!

Is there a complete feature set, or list of inputs, outputs and controls please?

Thanks!

There are 2 SSM2044 filters based (with permission) on foniks design. with some additions to enhance the fact there are 2 filters.

they could be used as:
2 independant filters.
"stereo" filters with small variations in the left and right channels giving some stereo depth.
Combination of the filters to give different filter modes.

these are options, you can use or not use whatever you want on your panel
depending on weather you want to do everything possible, or make a small panel.

Inputs:
In A +
In A -
In b +
In b -
usually you would just use one for each side, and use a pot or switch to change polarity.
CV res A
CV res B
CV res A+B (controls both at the same time)
CV freq A x2
CV freq B x2
CV freq A+B
CV freq divergence

Outs:
A
B
MIX

Controls:
Freq A
Freq B
or
Freq A+B + difference.
res A
res B
res A+B
null (option to bring out trimmer)
attenuators for CV inputs.
synthnut
Hi,
Yes, I'd be up for at least one if not more depending on the cost.
I have a drawer full of 2044s so would be good to put them into service!

Keep wiggling,
Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
Dego
One pcb and one chip smile
Neutron7
Here is a rough schematic. (PDF) some components are not numbered properly but you can get the idea.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3248170/neutron%20shield%20modulator/testschem aticprint.pdf

changed the board a bit, now "both" is available on the resonance as a pot as well as a CV

depending on how fancy you want you could go from 12 controls and a big panel, down to something that would be quite minimalist, using the "both" controls and no Cv input levels. ill color code the "essential" and "optional" pots on the diagram

I think boards by themselves will be $22 to $25 and tested SSM2044 will be $12 (and you need 2, ill match them for boards with chips) but i will try and get that price down a bit. keep in mind thats just a "special" price for the first boards and wigglers if they turn out as well as i expect, ill be selling them in a web store for a little more.

Im thinking of getting 20 for now. thats a few for me and Ill PM who expressed interest. ill post how many are left.
Neutron7
Dego wrote:

you need 2 chips for it!
Neutron7
updated first post.
Dego
Neutron7 wrote:
Dego wrote:

you need 2 chips for it!

I know but I have one ssm2044 all ready. hihi

1+1=2

Sorry for not being clear about it smile

Cant wait to build it. It's peanut butter jelly time!
reve
In for between one and five?

See, I've got this tube of 2044s and I've been thinking about just doing an eight voice module in a small (well, small for 5U) footprint for polyphonic use. One F pot, one Q pot, a couple CV inputs for each, 8 separate 1v/oct inputs and of course 8 audio inputs and outputs. (I figured I'd switch the 1v/oct inputs in and out electronically with a couple 4066s or something.)

As far as I can tell from the schematics, I should just be able to gang my driving LFOs or EGs or whatever to the A+B inputs on each of four modules and be good to go in that regard. I realize I'd have to wire the single pot for F and Q a bit differently, but it seems doable as long as there's not like... an impedance loading issue or something that I might run into?

So if that seems like it'd work i'd be in for four boards in that module and then one board separate for fun. smile
Neutron7
Re: poly module.

I think this will work very well. you can share one "master" pot between many boards directly with the frequency. with the resonance, you would have to omit the "fake antilog" resistor on 3 of the boards. (resistors are named on the schematic now, ill try and update it tomorrow)

It is great people already having ideas for this, i was hoping it would be quite versatile.
reve
So yeah. Better put me down for five then. smile
Neutron7
Updated image on first page.

this reflects a few changes to the board, and mainly the A and B outputs now have a place for a DC blocking capacitor.

The input has to be DC blocked anyways, so there is no point having "DC coupled" outputs (even the SSM2044 data sheet has them for a VCA after it)

I added them on the outputs before the mixer, the SSM 2044 can have quite a lot of DC offset when the resonance is in the middle range. it gives the mixer more headroom and keeps the DC off your next modules.

electrolytic cans can be used or smaller film capacitor (bigger if you put it on the back of the board) or it can be bypassed with a jumper.

so now i have to double and triple check them again smile

After I recieve the first boards ill test and maybe tweak some values before i release the final BOM and Schematic. that should be done by the middle of january, and if those boards are good, ill release some of those, and if there are errors ill fix them on the boards and sell them cheaper. before i release the final rev1. if they are good, ill just repeat order with a larger amount.
asb
2 pcb's for me
whitewulfe
I'd be interested in two PCBs when they're available, especially if they came with tested chips.
Neutron7
well i should get them first or second week of the new year, but I will have to build and test one.
camelneck
I've got a few SSM2044's in my present IC stock that I've been dying to use for some time. In fact, I've been bugging Fonik to do a 2nd run of his SSM2044 PCB for some time.

So I'll definitely take 1 PCB, and possibly a few more (no more than 4 total though). Actually, the total number I buy will depend upon the final cost of the PCB as well as the amount of funds I have available when they finally go on sale.

Keep us posted on your progress! smile
frozenkore
I'll take one board w/chips. This looks great!
Neutron7
First proto run is in production. the price difference for a lot more boards was silly, so I took the risk there wont be any massive errors. its a gamble my boards will be good, vs waiting another 2 or 3 weeks turn around. if it pays off, then 50 boards sooner rather than later! (otherwise, ill make a lampshade out of them and sell it on etsy for how much they cost lol )

If perfect or only in need of minor fix, it will be available (with any fixes done) around the end of Jan 2012 . I have a limited number of tested SSM2044s as well.

and..they are black smile

Please dont get mad, people who have mentioned they want to get some boards, but after i have a tested board, i will make a new thread with order information, it will just be too hard to keep track of PMs from so many people (was not expecting so many people to be interested!)

Lets free those poor orphaned SSM2044s languishing in parts drawers that want to do their duty and squawk and squelch!
Neutron7
I got shipping notification:) pics as soon as i get them!
hpsounds
I'm a bit late on this thread ... and new to SDIY. I've just built 2 Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1 and want to do more now.

hyper

Is it too late for one PCB + 2 SSM2044 ?

Hédi K.
Neutron7
After they arrive and are tested i will make a thread with purchase instructions.
hpsounds
Thanks for your quick answer ! thumbs up

Hédi K.
meatcliff
i'll keep an eye out for this new thread as well, i'll want 1 pcb, no chips.
synaptech
In for one and two SSM2044s if any are left! we're not worthy
Neutron7
Some boards came in

The only mistakes i found were A and B outputs got mixed up,
They made the holes a little bigger then i expected, but its still easy to build.
there is an error on the board by the output A amplifier. it can be fixed by shorting out C9 with a jumper. (on the off chance that the amp goes unstable, you can solder the c9 capacitor across u2 pin 13 and 14.)

here is the prototype for my version of "all options"
(you could do it with more jacks and no switches if you wanted)

and here is the MOTM panel for "all options"

Ill be setting up a buying page as soon as i make some examples, maybe a video, and double check my schematic, BOM etc (and figure out how to set up a buying page)
Dego
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Cool. Looking forward to hear it This is fun!
Neutron7
Here are a couple of quick demos so far

some sweeps with various tweakings, you can hear some are more traditional, while some have highpass and bandpass components. Ill redo this one, my converter got overloaded on the low sounds.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/neutron7/neutron-duofonik-sweeps-8[/s]

sort of traditional synth sound. just one oscillator.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/neutron7/demo1[/s]
frozenkore
Sounds great! hyper
Neutron7
and another one smile I am really liking this thing.

In this one you can hear it fade from high pass to band pass to low pass a couple of times, various self and cross modulations of the 2 filters and some self oscillation

a bit of distortion(besides the wanted distortion of the filter itself) seems to be happening because the signal is sometimes too hot for my converter. this module especially can sometimes get a really hot output because of the way it cancels and boosts at various frequencies.

ill make n optional component change which will keep it at a more reasonable output level

sequencer = cirklon + CVIO
vco = teezer
vca = Oakley triple vca
ADSR = MFOS

I was using a delay when it was recorded scope "pattern delay" on xite-1

[s]http://soundcloud.com/neutron7/demo2[/s]
fonik
fonik wrote:
hey, if i had not two ssm2044 in my system already, i would buy two PCBs myself...

nonsense.
you brought this filter to the next level! and i want one!
Neutron7
and yet another one

this time with the filter A and B controlled by different CV sequences at the same time, still just one oscillator, VCA and volume ADSR

Same equipment as above, but as well as the CV for the oscillator, the cirklon is sequencing 2 additional CVs for the filter.

this time i attenuated the output so there is less distortion.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/neutron7/demo4[/s]
Paradigm X
Are there spares?

hyper

Cheers

Ben
Neutron7
The purchasing buttons are now at the bottom of the page here.
http://neutron-sound.com/duofonik.html

type MUFFS741 in paypal message and get a $5 refund on boards
Dego
Paid! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
marvkaye
Paid for 2 thumbs up thumbs up
negativspace
Paid... I'm such a filter whore. Dead Banana
diaperjim
How much for a complete finsished Neutron7 Filter.......?
And I want to know if I can use this in Scopes Modular somehow.
I am willing to pay for these services, and any assistance in my quest for true analog filters, using Digital Oscillators...
Neutron7
go away jimmyV smile

ill make a scope version for the scope modular4 as soon as i get the new SDK6

it will be just as quirky and cool but free! and even have dialable inable "capacitor error"
diaperjim
No Way Jose............
But I am waiting anxiously for a great Filter in Scope Modular.
They just can't get that juicy analog flavor.
But if anyone can do it U can.......
Neutron7
how is the SSM filter in your solaris? i expect it is modeled with all the capacitors and op amps being exactly the same with no variation so it sounds close, but not quite right.

the op amps and capacitors are all a little different, and the filter IC also has a DC offset which the DSP would not have. everything adds up.

In scope i could make a filter that was a bit more real, but to really do it right i would have to be able to open their SSM model which has a lot of the transistor/op amp sound done.
diaperjim
With all due respect to JB, Klaus Piehl and him did a wonderful job, but the MM FIlter and Tube FIlter are the action.
I would ask JB for one those DIY diagrams and look at those as they are truly unique and special. The CEM and SSM, even the Obie and Mini are really nice, but pale next to the JBowen MM and Tube beasts.
Maybe they nullify, I am not sure....
reve
Neutron7 wrote:
Re: poly module.

with the resonance, you would have to omit the "fake antilog" resistor on 3 of the boards.

Okay, jolly good. I've ordered. Just to doublecheck my stupids, we're talking about R24, right?
Neutron7
actually for a+b it is r69,(and you can omit r68 as well) r24 is the correct resistor, but just for "a"
pugix
Finished my build today.

http://pugix.com/synth/neutron-duofonik-vcf/

SlayerBadger!
Neutron7
That Is great. It is so nice to see one of your write ups of my module!

I linked your article to from the project page?

I notice you used "normal" knobs, I found it a bit close (but i think you are used to that, i built a 1u cloud generator in your super compact 8x2 format!)
i find it much nicer with the medium ones from small bear (synth pointer #3)
comes in grub screw or spline.
pugix
Thanks! Yes, those are the regular 1-inch diameter Alco knobs. I think they look fine, and they're not too close.

I'm looking forward to putting this filter through it paces. screaming goo yo
Neutron7
Finally i have some more SSM2044s, ill put them up when they are all tested and matched.
FingerTappin
Has anyone designed a euro panel for this?

If no, might have to give it a try myself.

Also, @pugix, @Neutron7, what are the white conn headers I see you using on your boards? Do they require a special crimping tool?
steffensen
FingerTappin
If you do, im up for interest in that.
Been having my eye on this filter for a while, but i do like a more decent panel than me writing on on a piece of plate myself. smile
Neutron7
Sorry, i haven't got euro, and i have not seen anyone build one yet.

The connectors are called "MTA100" you dont have to use them and can wire directly if you like. they do need a tool, its kind of expensive.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/59803-1/A9982-ND/132430

but you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else, or bodge something up (its just pushing the wires so they go in to the insulation cutting slots)

Also the SSM2044 matched pairs are available again.
boothnavy
In it to win it.
delayed
Hi,
Looking at getting one of these boards. While checking out the build notes it looks like the jacks are all stereo. Is that correct? If so, any reason for that?
Neutron7
They are not stereo, but "normalling" jacks, that is, on inputs they switch to ground (or another signal) when nothing is plugged in, I just used them everywhere because I have lots of them.
delayed
I have a 100 of those also that someone sold to me as stereo jacks. I was planning on making this with banana. Is there a need to use them? I see that you state some of the jacks are used to transfer the signal when not in use, which a positive only banana would not be able to do.
Neutron7
To tell you the truth, I am not sure how normalling is handled with banana jacks, hopefully someone with a bit of experience could chime in.
bkbirge
Old thread resurrect alert. Did anyone ever make panels for these? I see on modulargrid there is a nice neutron style one but I don't see it on Neutron's website? Also, any plan to get matched 2044's back in stock?
Neutron7
I have been a bit slow with this because i have been busy with orgone accumulator stuff,

I did get more 2044s, i just have not gotten around to testing/matching them yet. Ill try and have them available next week.

As for the euro boards, ill post an update soon.
Neutron7

I have 3 extra euro adapters from my prototype run, which has no errors except the invert switch is um..inverted.

The silk screen is a little messed up but there is only 1 kind of resistor, 1 kind of cap, 1 kind of IC, you cant screw it up!

I will just use these same files to create the board run, so the only difference is these are made in Ireland, and the next run will be made in the us or china, and probably have a gloss instead of matte solder mask, and not have gold pads.

if someone has a duofonik waiting for a euroadapter pm me

$19 + shipping

Canada $0
US $4
Rest of world $7

I do not expect this to be very popular due to the scarcity of SSM2044 ICs so i will not be doing a professional panel run.

I have FPE panel file (which can also be used as a template for DIY), but it has no text, ill leave that up to the individual builder.

http://www.neutron-sound.com/images/euro_duofonik_holes.fpd
Zaibach
Hey, I just wanted to ask real quick if you still have some of the SSM2044 coming, or did that train leave some time ago? I consider building this filter and I looked around, but those ICs are a pain to source...
boops
Hi
Do you have any pcb left?
Neutron7
I have plenty of Filter pcb, but no euro adapters, and no tested SSM2044. If you want euro adapters It will be a few weeks more, but i will probably not get any more SSM after i sort this batch. They are too expensive and even then some dont work.

(Unless someone has a magic stash of them)
loydb
I'm down for a couple of euro adapters when back, thx.
Dogma
at least 2 for me too
Dogma
how useless are the SSM2040 in this circuit?
Neutron7
About 100% useless lol(in this circuit)
delayed
You can pop that "useless" 2040 in the mail and send it along to me if you like.
Dogma
Neutron7 wrote:
About 100% useless lol(in this circuit)

No I dont have special stash - just the Herne Morleys.

So this ones dead then - I priced the Mouser cart at about $80 so its not the cheapest I guess.

The dual HM2040 - the one on the site - that sounds juicy as can be......
synchromesh
Hi Neutron7,

I found my second SSM2044 while tidying up yesterday ( This is fun! ) so I'd be keen for a filter PCB and a panel PCB if they're still available/have arrived yet. I had a look on your website and I see the filter PCBs but not the panel PCBs.

If there are no panel PCBs I'd be happy to just have the filter PCB.

Could you please (re-)confirm the availability of these boards? Thanks very much! thumbs up
oberkorn
me too, I was too late for the last batch of euroadapters so I'm also looking for one!
grizzle
I finally finished my dual ssm2044 using Neutron's PCB and euro panel pcb. The filter sounds so amazing! Thanks for a great design! I had some friends make me a panel on their CNC machine and then used nail polish to do the infill, and i think it came out pretty nicely!

Neutron7
That looks nice! Can you post the CNC file, i would like to make one.

(Do you have a very small cat?)
gbiz
Neutron7 will there be any more euro panel PCBs ?.
Neutron7
I keep meaning to do that, then see the sorry state of SSM2044 supply. I guess ill do a small run anyways.
gbiz
I'd be up for one if you do.
mush
Just want to chime in and say thanks. It has been my "go to"-filter for most stuff lately and it has grown on me a lot. Probably my favourite filter for both sound and versatility nowadays. (and I got lots of filters...)
DJBRUTAL
In for a euro adapter if there is a run (will need to get the filter PCB too)
andrewradtke
I will also chime in for a euro adapter if there is a run (will need to get the filter PCB too)
oberkorn
1up for euro panel board. have main PCB and chips ready!
just need to make a panel
Neutron7
The euroadapter order was placed. I used a different board place so i dont know what their shipping is like but thay say 8 days to make them (starting yesterday) when i get them ill do a build test, and if they are good ill put them on the site.
grizzle
Here is the Euro front panel file I used. The switch holes and the pot holes should be increased slightly as they are too tight of a fit. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time.

Cheers,
Alex
grizzle
Neutron7 wrote:
(Do you have a very small cat?)

I did those with a stamp made for doing designs on nails... I couldn't resist...
Neutron7
Is that a v-carve pro file? I happen to have that but its not installed since i reinstalled my OS.
grizzle
Neutron7 wrote:
Is that a v-carve pro file? I happen to have that but its not installed since i reinstalled my OS.

It sure is... Should I upload another format?
Neutron7
No, that is fine for me, i have a license, i just need to find it wink

Ill post it on the duofonik page, thanks!
Neutron7
The euroadapters arrived. Already i noticed they only silk screened one side. Its not a huge deal though, just the pots and jacks go there, ill post a pic with the silk screen as a reference.

I will try and build a test one this week and put them up on the duofonik page if it checks out.

edit: i built one and it works properly and everything is lined up.
Neutron7
euroadapter BOM. easy as pie.

components and headers go on silk screen side. pots, jacks and switches go on other side.

Code:

semiconductors:
3x TL072

resistors
12X 100k

capacitors
5x 0.1uf ceramic

potentiometers
10x b100k alpha 9mm vertical style

switch
2x 0.1" spacing spdt on on toggle such as mouser 108-0048-evx

10x "earthenvar" type jacks
kobikonn or thonkiconn will work but you need to wire the ground leads to somewhere else on the board.

female header strips
(you need the same, but male for the duofonik if you want to use it with this)

3x1
2x1
15x1
17x1

thats it!
oberkorn
Quote:
The euroadapters arrived

awesome! do we order by PM'ing you or ??
just say when and how smile
Neutron7
i am just making the buttons now
Neutron7
ok they should work now on http://neutron-sound.com/duofonik.html
Zaibach
Thanks to FingerTappin, who sold me his pcb+SSM2044s, I am now a proud owner of this superb filter! I used the panel template by frozenkore and modified it a bit...

I decided not to use the adapter pcb and had to be a bit creative to mount the pcb behind the panel... but I am proud of the result cool

Do you think it's sturdy enough? hihi
Neutron7
wow that is quite the contraption, but it should be strong enough if you want to wiggle while racing off road vehicles.

your panel design is very nice as well.
sammy123
Just ordered my pcbs, got my chips, now I need to get a panel made. I have been so back and forth on this and am glad to have finally made up my mind to just go for it.
sammy123
Panel ordered. Fingers crossed on the ICs.
Dogma
Zaibach wrote:
Thanks to FingerTappin, who sold me his pcb+SSM2044s, I am now a proud owner of this superb filter! I used the panel template by frozenkore and modified it a bit...

I decided not to use the adapter pcb and had to be a bit creative to mount the pcb behind the panel... but I am proud of the result cool

Do you think it's sturdy enough? hihi

that looks great! I could fit that in my skiff almost
Zaibach
Neutron7 wrote:
wow that is quite the contraption, but it should be strong enough if you want to wiggle while racing off road vehicles.

your panel design is very nice as well.

Thank you!

Dogma wrote:
that looks great! I could fit that in my skiff almost

It's 5,5cm deep - although I didn't really care how deep it turned out. When I built my rack, I didn't economize with space so I don't need to pay attention to this. Nevertheless, I could mount the pcb closer to the panel, making it absolutely skiff-friendly cool
sammy123
FYI if anyone uses the FPD panel file on the Neutron Sound site don't forget to add mounting holes like I did.....grr.

I ended up using my 555 VCO panel as a drilling template.
Neutron7
d'oh! ill try and fix that this weekend.
sammy123
Finally finished this. I really like it so far. I have it mostly calibrated. I am not sure on the offset calibration though. Any tips?

Neutron7
that looks very good!

offset is to get the 2 filters outputting at the same level so they can cancel each other out as best they can.

just use the a input and output

turn on mix

switch the phase to "out"

turn resonance both down

make sure fm2s are centered, they are normalled to the inputs.

turn both frequency up all the way.

it should allready be pretty quiet, adjust offset to get it as quiet as you can.
sammy123
Thanks for the tip.

This filter sounds/feels excellent to me. I was not sure what to expect in a modular context. It was a risk sourcing my chips from eBay, but it payed off in the end. Thanks again for doing this one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 5