MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Just got a board weevil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Just got a board weevil
droolmaster0
What I want to know is, what horrible experiences in early childhood would result in someone releasing something like this commercially? I mean really?

This thing is really cool. Definitely, well, well, worth the money, even with the new higher California State Tax.
eyehue
me too! i love it!

perfect accompaniment to my postcard weevil, plus i've just started experimenting cross-patching them. fun stuff, indeed.

once i get my modular back together, i plan on interfacing the weevils with it. looking forward to that experiment.

bugbrand has made some great items. can't wait to get into the bugbrand modular.

oh, analog haven was a smooth breeze to purchase from as usual.
vurt
droolmaster0 wrote:
What I want to know is, what horrible experiences in early childhood would result in someone releasing something like this commercially? I mean really?

SlayerBadger!

i get my modular weevil today too SlayerBadger!
KNYST
droolmaster0 wrote:

hihi
vurt wrote:
i get my modular weevil today too SlayerBadger!

You beat me to it, Vurt. I'll have another W.O.M. kit + the modular weevil in a couple of days :-)

It's gonna be w00t we're not worthy SlayerBadger! Mr. Green
vurt
well, yeah i get the WOM as well, i figured id leave it for posting till the next modular bits were coming as i have little time to build it :(
i get my joystick too grin SlayerBadger!

and yes, much w00t SlayerBadger! Mr. Green goin on here when the posty comes grin
KNYST
vurt wrote:
i get my joystick too grin SlayerBadger!

Same here!! Mr. Green
BugBrand
droolmaster0 wrote:

This thing is really cool. Definitely, well, well, worth the money, even with the new higher California State Tax.

Cheers Gene!
So you got it from AH, right? Shawn is really great to deal with - always friendly, on the ball, quick to reply, all-a-round top-notch.

Haha, no childhood scars or anything (very tranquil really) - I don't even like much 'noise' music (I prefer melody & song - not exclusively, but..).

The reasons (?) for release - well, I've just liked refining/mutating the simple Weevil heart (such a simple core circuit - but with so much strange life within it) over the last few years. And I like designing things like this - I'm particularly proud of the Board 'cos of the presentation / layout / approach /aesthetics --- & sound!

Have fun!
Cheers,
Tom

PS - I should do a vid of BWeevil fat-basslines -- you can make some real gnarlers with it. Can skip beats from time to time, but take the output into a computer and you've got yourself a nice sampling starting point...

Actually, I can just describe the patch:
- works best with jack-output
- turn Balance to fully clockwise - tone & volume to suit..
- Osc1 & Osc3 to low range, Osc2 to high range
- Lightsensors OFF
- Sync switches OFF
- switch to Instable
- Starve dial to about 12 o'clock
- Osc1 & Osc3 to about 10 o'clock
- osc2 to about 12 o'clock

Yum! Let it run, then touch some points - can take a couple of seconds for the machine to re-stabilize after touching, but then it slips right back into the fat-bassline.
droolmaster0
BugBrand wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

Cheers Gene!
So you got it from AH, right? Shawn is really great to deal with - always friendly, on the ball, quick to reply, all-a-round top-notch.

Yes - i've been dealing with shawn from before he was AH, and was just the US Doepfer dealer. Great guy.

Quote:
Haha, no childhood scars or anything (very tranquil really) - I don't even like much 'noise' music (I prefer melody & song - not exclusively, but..).

The reasons (?) for release - well, I've just liked refining/mutating the simple Weevil heart (such a simple core circuit - but with so much strange life within it) over the last few years. And I like designing things like this - I'm particularly proud of the Board 'cos of the presentation / layout / approach /aesthetics --- & sound!

Have fun!
Cheers,
Tom

PS - I should do a vid of BWeevil fat-basslines -- you can make some real gnarlers with it. Can skip beats from time to time, but take the output into a computer and you've got yourself a nice sampling starting point...

Actually, I can just describe the patch:
- works best with jack-output
- turn Balance to fully clockwise - tone & volume to suit..
- Osc1 & Osc3 to low range, Osc2 to high range
- Lightsensors OFF
- Sync switches OFF
- switch to Instable
- Starve dial to about 12 o'clock
- Osc1 & Osc3 to about 10 o'clock
- osc2 to about 12 o'clock

Yum! Let it run, then touch some points - can take a couple of seconds for the machine to re-stabilize after touching, but then it slips right back into the fat-bassline.

I'll have to try this. I'm still looking up what everything is at this point so the results are pretty unpredictable.
droolmaster0
eyehue wrote:
me too! i love it!

perfect accompaniment to my postcard weevil, plus i've just started experimenting cross-patching them. fun stuff, indeed.

once i get my modular back together, i plan on interfacing the weevils with it. looking forward to that experiment.

bugbrand has made some great items. can't wait to get into the bugbrand modular.

Isn't the board weevil basically a souped up postcard weevil? Now - when you say cross patching - what exactly do you mean?
carbon111
I ordered one of these a while back as well. I can hardly wait! hyper
Uncopyrightable
[quote="droolmaster0"]
eyehue wrote:

Now - when you say cross patching - what exactly do you mean?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/files/img_5024_103.jpg
vurt
droolmaster0 wrote:
eyehue wrote:
me too! i love it!

Isn't the board weevil basically a souped up postcard weevil? Now - when you say cross patching - what exactly do you mean?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4440

check that post, theres a pic there.
basically its connecting the two together with cables via the touchplates SlayerBadger!
droolmaster0
Cool. I will have to try that.

Well, I'll have to order the postcard one now. Does one gain any advantage by using a postcard and a board, rather than 2 boards, btw?
Uncopyrightable
droolmaster0 wrote:
Cool. I will have to try that.

Well, I'll have to order the postcard one now. Does one gain any advantage by using a postcard and a board, rather than 2 boards, btw?

Each combination of boards will be different.

Board Weevil + Postcard
Workshop Osc + Postcard
Board Weevil + Board Weevil

no real specific advantages I can say, but I would say... I'd just buy one of each!
droolmaster0
Well, but the osc is diy, as I recall (sorry - at work and busy so didn't recheck)? I'm totally incompetent at that.
suboptimal
I've got a board weevil arriving tomorrow. I'm terribly excited to run it through the Little Boy Blue for a bit of battery-operated psychosis. Seems like a really excellent noise device at a great price (and as Gene said, even with the unfortunate California sales tax via AH - still worth it).

Carbon, looking forward to hearing what you do with it!
droolmaster0
Hey - what do you think of the little boy blue? That's kind of caught my attention at the moment....dealing with Peter Grenader right now definitely puts me in the mood to maximize my psychosis.
DGTom
Got my Weevil today & I'm in love Its almost like a hand drum computer... thats stupid, but, the BugBrand isn't!!! I love that it can make a bunch of sounds with the same control settings, goes great with my CV modded digital delay pedal screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

(is it just me, or is the goo not ... gooing?)
suboptimal
droolmaster0 wrote:
Hey - what do you think of the little boy blue?

I've lost a lot of hours with it since it arrived. It's been refreshing to just focus on making noise and getting away from trying to squeeze something like a song out of my exhausted mind. It's really entertaining to run different things through it and see how it reacts. I think the board weevil will be an ideal compliment to it.
suboptimal
Board Weevil in hand, gotta say . . . this thing is easily the best bang-for-buck I've ever experienced as a GASaholic. Just amazing, wild sounds. I've been tickling its light sensors with my thingamagoop's probe for added SKZSZNSFLFFJF. Really awesome piece of gear, thanks a ton for making this available. SlayerBadger!
vurt
suboptimal wrote:
I've been tickling its light sensors with my thingamagoop's probe

pervert!
look forward to hearng some fun stuff smile
DGTom
suboptimal wrote:
I've been tickling its light sensors with my thingamagoop's probe

Can I enquire as to how well thats worked for you? I'm thinking about building a little case for my weevil & rigging up a little "LED sequencer" in the lid, which would face (at an angle) the LDRs

I guess it would be pretty similar, in fact I may try to find a way to have 'probe' like extensions for the LEDs
RetBody
I got a Board Weevil for my birthday (somebody's wife loves him) and I've really been loving it. My new favorite thing is running it into the Preamp in of my ARP 2600 for sexy filtering over droning oscillators.

I shot a video of the whole thing in action, as soon as I get my website together I'll post a link to in here, it really sounds fantastic.
suboptimal
DGTom wrote:
Can I enquire as to how well thats worked for you? I'm thinking about building a little case for my weevil & rigging up a little "LED sequencer" in the lid, which would face (at an angle) the LDRs

So far so good. The light sensors are highly reactive and a big part of the device's soundscape, and having a directed light source adds a nice extra layer of sound control. I think an entertaining little setup for amusing (abusing?) children would be a pair of thingamagoops and the Board Weevil, with the thingamagoops' probes free to play with each other and the board weevil. Unless you want to go to jail.

I'd love to see how an LED sequencer would function in pratice. Keep in mind that being able to cover up the LDRs (i.e. with your fingers) is desireable for quick, big changes in sound. I think it's probably just as practical to get one of those keychain mini flashlights, but a little LED medusa with some kind of mini sequencer would be ideal, especially if it could be anchored - the biggest complaint I have about the Thingamagoop is the necessity of grabbing it with both hands to mess with the probe. ("That's what she said.")
DGTom
suboptimal wrote:
("That's what she said.")

hihi

Basically the idea is to take a 40106 CMOS chip, like the one the Weevil uses & make a bunch of clocks / LFOs, maybe I'll throw a few external gate / trig. input -> LEDs in. Would make a cool light show as well grin

A couple of points to clip some croc clips onto so that the touch plates could be interfaced with would be sweet as well!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2