MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

i miss my old paia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author i miss my old paia
DrOctave
I kind of miss my old paia 4700 modules the super thin sound like old crappy sifi.
Mongo1
Well, I'll sell you the one sitting on my garage floor. Based on recent Ebay history that should be worth at least $4000.00 ;-)

Gary
rdonker
Me too! Got through about 3 months of electronic music before the Serge, Buchla and Synthi displaced it. I will admit it was the reason I was able to peg the job as Electronic Music Lab tech because I built one before going to school as a pre-med student since I knew all about how to patch a modular and no one else did. I would still recommend a 9700 to people wanting to learn how these things work.
Tim Servo
Well, if you're really Jonesing for some vintage PAiA, here's a a big expensive face full...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-MAGENTA-MODULAR-ANALOG-SYNTHESIZER-ARP-MO OG-PAIA-/320816907248?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item4ab22d83f0

Oh, and they're not sure it works. And it needs a power supply. And you could buy a Minimoog for less. And I've got a PAiA Gnome I'll sell you for half that price.

I made them an offer of $50 + shipping... haven't heard back from them yet. wink

Tim (that's MISTER Lowball) Servo
darenager
I had a 9700 set, really badly behaved but always sounded raw, and lots of function in a quite compact frame. For the money though good value.
CF3
Currently on the Bay Area Craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2785567736.html

I'm always a little surprised by how much they go for...
pirates_life
Does anybody know if there is a significantly different sound between the 4700 series and the 9700 series?
theglyph
darenager wrote:
I had a 9700 set, really badly behaved but always sounded raw, and lots of function in a quite compact frame. For the money though good value.

Recently sold 9700 set! I certainly has it's own mind but great for the price and some interesting Filter sounds!
valis
pirates_life wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a significantly different sound between the 4700 series and the 9700 series?

Yes. There is a very big difference in sound and design. I think the envelope follower is the only thing that stayed the same.

I have some really nice 4700/2720 systems that I'd sell for less than eBay prices. I have a good amount of vintage paia gear that I've been meaning to unload at some point. They're all bananafied right now and most people like the vintage pin jacks, so I've been procrastinating converting them back.

I also do custom 4700 style modules of anybody is ever interested in such things.
pirates_life
valis wrote:

I have some really nice 4700/2720 systems that I'd sell for less than eBay prices. I have a good amount of vintage paia gear that I've been meaning to unload at some point. They're all bananafied right now and most people like the vintage pin jacks, so I've been procrastinating converting them back.

hmmm... interesting

I might be interested in your old Paia gear. I am just getting started with modular. Do you think your system would be well suited for a beginner like me?
valis
pirates_life wrote:

hmmm... interesting

I might be interested in your old Paia gear. I am just getting started with modular. Do you think your system would be well suited for a beginner like me?

That's hard to say. It depends on what you're looking for out of a modular. If you're looking for something vintage and quirky which will help you learn about the electronics of a modular then the early PAiA stuff can't be beat. It's lo-fi compared to most other modulars but a great deal of fun.

That being said, if you're looking for something that you can easily grow with that is cheap and modular you may want to go the used euro route. I don't own any euro gear but it seems like a reasonably priced way to enter into modular land. I'm drawn to quirky old gear like the 2720/4700 stuff but it is not for everybody. I have a couple of different paia systems, some bigger than others. If you're interested feel free to pm me.

There is also a 2720 system right now on eBay for $600 shipped which is a really good deal by ebay standards.
Rob_C
That exact PAIA 2720 system for $600 on Ebay sold for about $360 two weeks prior and the buyer is now trying to flip it for $600. Nothing wrong with that, pirates life, but for someone just getting started with modular, you would be better off buying a new P9700S kit directly from PAIA, for about $560.00, which is $40 less for all new and better sounding equipment. You have the satisfaction of building it yourself and learn a lot in the process and the technology is better and the P9700S includes a midi-to-CV module that 2720 system lacks.

Even at the original auction price of $360, I thought that PAIA was overpriced. It looks in really rough shape, and the original seller described it that way. Now, in trying to flip it, the pitted faceplates have a "nice worn patina" and "surface corrosion which is nice looking." So it shares a common trait with many older Chevys. When bugs become features I get a bit suspicious. Surface rust aside, it didn't include a picture of the interior PCBs so you can't estimate if it is a dirty diamond or something to completely avoid. He didn't even power it up so he can't tell you which modules work or don't work. For some one starting out in modular, there are much better options like the euro option described by Valis.
dhamaryder
I agree that the 9700 kit would be much better than getting an old one already built. That's actually how I started into modulars, I bought a 9700 kit on ebay that someone had bought and started building but then decided they didn't want to build it. That was about 10 years ago. I spent a very pleasant summer sitting outside on the porch every day building it. getting your hands dirty like that gives you a certain confidence. I always went with kits after that and then after awhile started in DIY with Ken Stone boards and others. My modular is about 60 modules now. It's taken 10 years to get there but I learned a lot with that first Paia system. It's incredibly versatile and i still use every module from it, particularly the modulators(AR envelopes that can be triggered or cycle). But the oscillators are great and the filters are still useful, I think. And then there's the midi/cv converter which has come in handy over the years. Plus it's got a VCA and balanced modulator(sort of a ring modulator). Yeah, I don't think you could go wrong with a 9700 kit. Unless you hate the idea of building things yourself.
valis
Fwiw I personally don't like the 9700. In my opinion, comparing the two systems is like apples and oranges. I dislike the 9700 VCF but the 2720 BPF and 4730 VCF brings a smile to my face. I also don't like the layout of the 9700 system but love the simplicity and hackability of the 2720/4700. Each system has completely different design philosophies, sound, implementation, etc. I don't see the comparisons as apt. The architecture is just do different. All things being equal, I prefer the quirky old paia modular stuff. It's got a sound and charm all of its own. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents on the topic.
pirates_life
valis wrote:
Fwiw I personally don't like the 9700. In my opinion, comparing the two systems is like apples and oranges. I dislike the 9700 VCF but the 2720 BPF and 4730 VCF brings a smile to my face. I also don't like the layout of the 9700 system but love the simplicity and hackability of the 2720/4700. Each system has completely different design philosophies, sound, implementation, etc. I don't see the comparisons as apt. The architecture is just do different. All things being equal, I prefer the quirky old paia modular stuff. It's got a sound and charm all of its own. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents on the topic.

What about the fatman? is that similar to the 9700 or does it also have it's own flavor?
Rob_C
The Fatman is a monophonic analog synthesizer loved by many. The Fatman has two oscillators, a filter and a vca already connected together comprising one complete voice, so no patch cords are used with the Fatman. You supply your own midi keyboard or use a computer with midi to control it like most synths. It plays one note at a time, no chords. It has a thick sound because of the two oscillators which can be offset in pitch from each other. The two oscillators are used together for a single voice - that is, you can't create a piano-like sound and a separate saxophone sound that play different melodies. It's a kit, not hard to assemble, an easy price point, and good for a beginner. Check out the PAIA site for more information, look on YouTube for demonstrations. If you want an entry into synthesis, it's a good option. It is not separate modules, which is mostly what is discussed on this forum.

The 2720 on Ebay mentioned in an earlier post was reduced in price and sold for $400.00.
pirates_life
What about the characteristics of the filter, oscillators, etc? Does it sound like a 9700 without the ability to patch yourself?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1