MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is "Muff Wiggler" offensive?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]

What do you think?
It's bordering on, or is, unacceptable to me
6%
 6%  [ 83 ]
It's mildly offensive, to be honest
11%
 11%  [ 150 ]
It's immature/stupid, but harmless
15%
 15%  [ 201 ]
I don't care either way
20%
 20%  [ 254 ]
It's pretty funny! But I see the other side as well
15%
 15%  [ 194 ]
I think it rocks!
30%
 30%  [ 379 ]
Total Votes : 1261

Author Is "Muff Wiggler" offensive?
Muff Wiggler
Interesting concept... someone I know asked me a smart question, which I'm surprised I've not been asked before. Bearing in mind that "it is what it is" and I'm not here to kiss ass, I think it's a fair discussion, and it would be interesting to hear what people think... even though it won't change anything.

So, I've quoted the question, and pasted my response below it. Anyone interested in knowing where the name "Muff Wiggler" comes from, and what it means, will find the answer in here. Feel free to share your thoughts. Mostly I hope the name makes people laugh, and that's it. But I am sorry if it offends people.... just not sorry enough to change!

Quote:
Hey, do you get flack about "Muff Wiggler" not being PC for the 21st century? Just curious.

You raise a really good question about "Muff Wiggler"! To be honest, I've long wondered how long it would be before I was asked. Believe it or not, it's never really come up before.

Ok, there's one case - years ago, long before I had a website, or a blog, or a forum, one small comment was made. "Muff Wiggler" has been my handle (nickname) on varous web forums for a few years now. At one point, on a music-software forum, a well-known male member said something along the lines of "And I've always found your handle to be offensive and degrading to women".

Anyway, that was the only time. A bunch of other members (a few of them women) replied that they took no offense to my name, and found it quite silly and funny. It was routinely chosen as a top contender for "Who has the best name on our forum?" threads.

Actually, there was only one other comment ever made - I sent John Blacet a link to the Blacet forum here, and he replied "Muffwiggler? Sounds mildly offensive!". That was the sum total of his reply! I don't think he ever looked at the forum :loL:

Anyway, back to the name. I definately DO see how it can cause some (hopefully mild) offense, and I do agree that it's not "PC" for the current era. It's a little bit "by design" to be truthful with you.

Some background - The name was chosen long before I had ever considered launching a website, blog, forum etc. Most of this stuff has happened by accident.

I mentioned the "music software" forum above - well, it's one of the largest forums on the Internet, and I've been a member there for years - I'm a moderator there now. Anyway, I had a different handle there at first, one that I didn't like. I needed to change it, but couldn't pick one.

At the same time, I was playing in a local band. We played two nights a week in clubs in town, for fun and beer. We both have good day jobs, and didn't do the music thing seriously at all, no interest in getting somewhere with it. Every night we played, we billed ourselves under a different name. Well, we started to get a bit of a following, and the clubs really wanted us to have a consistent name, as we were starting to draw people to the clubs.

We really couldn't find a name. We tried so hard. We opened dictionaries, pointed to random words, tried this with other books, all sorts of stuff. Couldn't get a name we liked.

So one night at practise, between songs, we're talking about the name thing. I look down at all the guitar and FX pedals on the floor - there was a lot of Electro-Harmonix stuff down there! For some reason, two of them stood out to me, the "Big Muff Pi", and "The Wiggler".

I looked at them, and blurted out "Muff Wiggler!"

We all laughed really hard. For way too long. For some reason, it was absolutely hilarious. Much funnier that in should have been, to be honest. We were picturing gig flyers, and kids telling their parents "We're going to see Muff Wiggler!!". Much (cheap) hilarity!

Anyway, I really wanted to use the name for our band, but my partner nixed it - "Too Racy", and I'm sure he was right.

Anyway, I couldn't let it go - and my wife thought it was outrageously funny as well, so I switched my nickname on the aforementioned forum to "Muff Wiggler". It really seemed to be a minor 'hit', people responded to it well, and I think in the tongue-in-cheek humour that was intended. Lots of laughs.

Well, fast-forward a couple of years. I got a great deal on webhosting (like, an INSANELY great deal), and I wanted webspace just to upload songs and samples for people to download (there was no Virb or similar services at the time). I took "Muffwiggler.com", because, well, that was my name, I thought it would be silly fun, and it was not going to be anything serious.

Around the same time, Matrixsynth changed so that you needed to login to comment. So I made a Blogger account, with my name Muff Wiggler. I didn't originally plan to use the blog, as I had brand-new webspace.

Well, the blog was so easy to post to, I started putting random comments and posts up, and people interestingly enough started to visit, read and post. Wow!

Next, I was playing with my webhosting, learning about all the cool options they gave me. I had access to PHP scripting, and a mySQL database. I figured, just for fun, I would put up a phpBB forum, just to learn more about forum management, mySQL and PHP (I'm a geek). I never expected the forum to go anywhere, never thought I would ever have more than one or two members, honestly.

I want to make this point - not only do I not sell anything, nor make money from the website, nor support any advertisers or banners, beyond this, I also have never gone around inviting people to my forum, or performed any sort of 'membership drive'. I put "visit my forum!" in my signature at a couple of other forums, only seen by people who already know me as "Muff Wiggler". I've never suggested that my silly little place on the Internet become any portal for synth info, or anything else for that matter. It was really just a dumb joke that took on its own organic growth.

But, people started showing up! Registering, posting, discussing. It's still all very amazing to me. They all have some similar interests, which I began to try to cater to in the structure of the forum by creating sub-forums etc. These people all came on their own accord.

Anyway, do I think "Muff Wiggler" is not PC for the 21st century? Yes I do.

However, not to sound like an ass, but I also don't really care. And I thought PC was supposed to be dead anyway? I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'm far beyond trying to cater to PC-ness, and beyond losing sleep over what other people think. I strongly support the right of people to hold their own opinions, viewpoints, lifestyles. If someone takes offense at the name, I am sorry for that, I support their right to take this offense, and I don't hold it against them. I'm sure they don't visit and post, and that's fine with me. But I'm also not here to try to appease everyone (which is impossible!). I'm here to have fun, have some laughs, and maybe learn a bit. That's it. It's just me.

I'm not worried about alienating people. Personally I feel life is too short, and would suggest that these people lighten up and have a sense of fun and a sense of humour. I can't imagine how they feel about websites like ogrish.com or somethingawful.com if they take offense to "Muff Wiggler"! But certainly, to each their own, and I do respect their right to feel uncomfortable about the website's name. Luckily it's a very, very big internet, and there's lots of other places they can spend their time. I never suggested that ANYONE come to my shitty little corner of the web!

Anyway, that's my take. I'm a bit of a libertarian in a lot of regards, and think people can and should be free to have whatever attitudes, in-jokes, opinions, sexuality, religion that they want. This is all good stuff. I draw the line when people get hurt because of these views or opinions, but I don't think "Muff Wiggler" is ruining anyone's life. Hopefully it either makes them laugh, or simply look for something else to do with their time.
Muff Wiggler
I added a poll so that you can make your opinion known but stay anonymous if you would rather 8)

The results of the poll won't change anything, however it does risk outing me as someone who "doesn't care about his guest's opinion" if everyone votes against my name lol
Kwote
muff wiggler is fine but where in the fuck is auto-wah? perhaps i should go around posting as FUCKSTICK. i am HIGHLY offended!?!@(*%

twisted lol twisted wink
Muff Wiggler
auto-wah = Ottawa lol

i say go for "fuckstick" - seriously! 8)
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
I added a pole...

:shock:
consumed
i had to vote borderline because i surf the forum at work, and sometimes people step into my cube for work-related reasons. it was very embarrasing to have the female auditor (from out of the country) step in, sit down, and stare at MUFF WIGGLER with a girl in a bikini riding a guitar a couple weeks ago.

i had to reconsider whether i should be here while at work. thats all.
felix
Maybe it's because I've known the origin of "Muff Wiggler" came from, but I never found it the least bit offensive; cheeky maybe, but never offensive. Then again, I'm not very sensitive to such things; it would take some kind of direct personal attack to actually offend me.

But I can see the other side of it.

I used to go by "skulleader26" on various places on the internet and it was also part of both of my email addresses. At that time I started doing a lot of work installing WiFi networks in my dad's colleagues' homes and every single one had some kind of comment about the email address/contact info. My dad even told me he was embarrassed when he would give out my contact info (which of course then made me embarrassed about doing the same).

And of course, the handle was nothing sinister...more geeky than anything. It came from "Skull Leader", a reference to a position held by the main character of an 80's anime series, Robotech and my birthday, the 26th of July. Everyone thought it was about real skulls or death metal, or some kind of devil worshiping cult (yes one guy actually asked if it was "some kind of devil-worship business", after explaining the real meaning, it would have been easier to just say "yes").

There was also a funny incident a few weeks ago regarding "Muff Wiggler". I was reading the forum and my wife sat down next to me and saw the 50's chick crotch surfing the guitar and "Muff Wiggler" printed above it and said "what the hell kinda forum are you looking at?!". After explanation, she thought it was quite funny, but I would imagine some people having the same reaction and not searching deeper for anything else.

Oh well, more room in here for us witty folk! wink
Muff Wiggler
felix wrote:
Oh well, more room in here for us witty folk! wink

yeah, I pretty much agree with that. I haven't thought about this before - but maybe it works as a bit of a litmus test around here. I'm willing to be wrong, but I think if someone is going to get worked up over "Muff Wiggler", there's probably a lot of other stuff they are going to get worked up over as well, and I'm going to end up having to spend time dealing with their issues. So, yeah.

Now if that doesn't make me sound like as ass, I don't know what does lol I do hope it doesn't scare too many people away, honestly everyone is welcome, but on the other hand, I really don't have time to be holding people's hands and guiding them gingerly through the rosegarden of life wink

eh, sorry about the work thing guys. I can relate. At least you knew what it was before you opened it lol I promise to not have anything any racier than the guitar bombergirl illustration (or Hammerzeit, or Cyborg Pirate Ninja Jesus, depending on your point of view), so don't worry that'll you'll open it up to a giant nipple or something like that hehe
Muff Wiggler
and oh yeah - i'm sure you've all realized this but -

there's no way in hell i would ever use a muffwiggler.com email address or reference to my website in any fashion whatsoever connected with my job!

i've got proper, professional appearing email addresses for that stuff

and my name, in real life, isn't "muff wiggler" wink

if i could have, i would have voted once for every single option in the above poll. i agree with them all.
Chuck E. Jesus
this is your site...i imagine if people don't like it, they don't have to visit...i'm not sure what someone said to even bring this topic up, but i don't see how "muff wiggler" is considered offensive while discussing "butt probes"...tbh i do feel a bit worried about offending others lately on the interweb *, and i see your point, but again, this is your site...

* notice i did not use my "alter-ego" name on your site
felix
Hahaha, love the new forum title!

I'm always very surprised by the sheer volume of easily offended people on the internet...I mean, it's the internet! 75% or more of it has to be arguably offensive.

Or maybe people just see that something could be offensive, are bent out of shape that someone could be offended, and suddenly they have to be the "feelings police" and say they are offended. I see lots of offensive stuff, but I don't think any of it has offended me.
zerosum
I think its a funny play on words.
Although a lot of people dont know what a Big MUFF or a wiggler is lol
Or who EHX is........ lol
Or what effects are... lol

I guess mine would have to be scrotum flanger or something like that...
zerosum
Quote:
and my name, in real life, isn't "muff wiggler"

lol
felix
agonizing scrotum probe
Chuck E. Jesus
what does NSFW mean anyway?
felix
Not Safe For Work
Chuck E. Jesus
felix wrote:
Not Safe For Work

i swera i seen that a shitload of times and never knew what it meant...

btw: Muff Wiggler has got a Sticky Poll...
shamann
ross g wrote:
btw: Muff Wiggler has got a Sticky Poll...

lol

One of the top subjects around these parts is Metasonix gear. Seriously, Muff Wiggler is going to be offensive to Metasonix fans? If anything, it needs to be a little racier.
tiny333
im a bit vagley disapointed that it is not your real name razz
J.w.M.
Haha! Interesting topic--
Anyway, I'm not offended at all. I can see how people might find it (slightly) offensive, but in my eyes (like you said), I totally chose to be here, and if I don't like it, I don't have to be here. As such, it's no big deal to me at all.

As a side-note, the memorable name actually made this site stick in my mind when I was first searching around the internet for Frac system info. In a way, then, the humorously crass name might have been responsible in a big way for me actually sticking around this site at first.
consumed
ross g wrote:

Not Safe For Wiggling
Chuck E. Jesus
consumed wrote:
ross g wrote:

Not Safe For Wiggling

now there's your site title, whatever the hell your name is...
Muff Wiggler
tiny333 wrote:
im a bit vagley disapointed that it is not your real name razz

yeah, sorry.

It's Wuff Miggler.

I'm german. Say it with a german accent. The "Wuff" part sounds more like "Woof".

Wuff Heinrich Miggler. That's me.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
don't worry that'll you'll open it up to a giant nipple or something like that hehe

the giant nipple thing sounds HIGHLY offensive. however, a GIANT NIPPLE with milk squirting out of it sounds DEEEELISHHHH.
tiny333
we are all idiots :shock:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Page 1 of 35