MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is "Muff Wiggler" offensive?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next [all]

What do you think?
It's bordering on, or is, unacceptable to me
7%
 7%  [ 101 ]
It's mildly offensive, to be honest
13%
 13%  [ 190 ]
It's immature/stupid, but harmless
15%
 15%  [ 223 ]
I don't care either way
20%
 20%  [ 297 ]
It's pretty funny! But I see the other side as well
15%
 15%  [ 215 ]
I think it rocks!
28%
 28%  [ 404 ]
Total Votes : 1430

Author Is "Muff Wiggler" offensive?
Shledge
xenosapien wrote:
Just gonna say that I called the "hitting too close to home" part. wink
(No offense dubonaire.)

Let´s not forget that we are mostly joking around with those name "suggestions", right? wink

...were we?
dubonaire
Shledge wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Shledge wrote:
Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)

Speak for yourself. There is nothing worse than a reductionist apologist.

Lets scratch balls and mansplain the night away

Just to be clear, I'm a white dude in a poor asian country - you can't get much more privileged white dude than me. I feel it every day.

I was making what was obviously an overly obscure ironic comment.
PrimateSynthesis
Nelson Baboon wrote:

well, I know it's factual, because I have met women who have said this. and others have expressed this also. I see no reason to disbelieve any of these people.

So you don't know "IN FACT has kept some women away (reasonably)".

Nelson Baboon wrote:
I'm not sure why you bring up the rest of it, except to raise a ruckus.

Because it's something that's been repeatedly seen in this and similar threads. And it's the best explanation for what you claim you heard.

The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being). Which is implausible. So it's more likely they were expressing that they were against what they think its name represents or some of the other things they might have heard about this forum (showing you they were people who held the "right" opinions).

Allow me to put it another way. Hypothetically, if someone were to say, "I'm not joining anything called The National Defense League!" It's not that person is objecting to its name, and would join if it were changed. The objection is to what an organization with such a name likely represents.

Whereas the name "Muff Wiggler" doesn't likely represent anything, except a lack of seriousness in choosing names. The problem is that people who weren't familiar with the forum wanted to project aspersions on to it. So not knowing any better, perhaps they aren't willing to see for themselves.
strettara
Shledge wrote:
I have some name suggestions w00t

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons
- Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)
- Crackheads (...face it, we are)

Titties 'n' Beer.
Nelson Baboon
[quote="PrimateSynthesis"]
Nelson Baboon wrote:

well, I know it's factual, because I have met women who have said this. and others have expressed this also. I see no reason to disbelieve any of these people.

Quote:
So you don't know "IN FACT has kept some women away (reasonably)".

Sure I do. I mean, I don't have a peer researched article, but in general, if you have met people who tell you that they have kept away because of the name, and that others have related similar experiences, it is as close to a fact as one usually gets in life for somewhat ambiguous issues like this. I'm fine with it. But I think you're not because you're simply not sympathetic to the issue.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
I'm not sure why you bring up the rest of it, except to raise a ruckus.

Quote:
Because it's something that's been repeatedly seen in this and similar threads. And it's the best explanation for what you claim you heard.

The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being).

well, frankly, it's attitudes like yours that get quoted on other forums in discussions about the attitudes here. Of course we know how irrational women are.

yeah - don't want to work myself up arguing with you again. Brings back too many memories, and it just isn't worth it.
notmiserlouagain
Is "Muffwiggler" offensive?

Let me put it this way, if you don´t have more urgent problems, you must be pretty well off...

What is totally offensive to me is the amount of spite and aggression that is injected in most public discourse about real offensive behaviour (the kind that actually hurts anyone). It is not helpful at all.

Free (and often stupid) speech much more valuable than politeness.
notmiserlouagain
No edit button? "the kind that actually hurts someone.." it should be
SynthBaron
strettara wrote:
Shledge wrote:

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons
- Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)

Titties 'n' Beer.

http://mugsnjugssportsbar.com/

And then there's always Hooters.

I guess women don't exactly visit those establishments either. Hmm.
strettara
SynthBaron wrote:
strettara wrote:
Shledge wrote:

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons

Titties 'n' Beer.

http://mugsnjugssportsbar.com/

And then there's always Hooters.

I guess women don't exactly visit those establishments either. Hmm.

I imagine that some will and some won't. You can't please everyone. I suppose the real question is: should you even try?

Reprehensibly yours,

Rob.
Shledge
I wonder why men would even go to the likes of a Hooters. Just seems a bit desperate.
notmiserlouagain
Shledge wrote:
I wonder why men would even go to the likes of a Hooters. Just seems a bit desperate.

Had to look Hooters up, only to find out there´s one even in my city. They´re fishing in the sewer alright...

Too much testosteron probably needs balancing by some estrogene (inherent in beer, cheap meat, etc.)
SynthBaron
Shledge wrote:

They have good wings, like Muff's has good posts.
PrimateSynthesis
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Sure I do. I mean, I don't have a peer researched article, but in general, if you have met people who tell you that they have kept away because of the name, and that others have related similar experiences, it is as close to a fact as one usually gets in life for somewhat ambiguous issues like this. I'm fine with it. But I think you're not because you're simply not sympathetic to the issue.

No, it's because you've demonstrated a loose relationship with the truth.

For an immediate example, let's look at how you just ignored what I actually wrote, and instead quoted it out of context:

Nelson Baboon wrote:

Quote:

The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being).

well, frankly, it's attitudes like yours that get quoted on other forums in discussions about the attitudes here. Of course we know how irrational women are.

Which leaves out the part where I said it was implausible.

So let's be clear here who is being sexist. You believe that people would be less likely to join the forum due to its name because they are women. Whereas I don't believe it, because that would be silly.
pricklyrobot
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

No, it's because you've demonstrated a loose relationship with the truth.

For an immediate example, let's look at how you just ignored what I actually wrote, and instead quoted it out of context:

Nelson Baboon wrote:

Quote:

Which leaves out the part where I said it was implausible.

So let's be clear here who is being sexist. You believe that people would be less likely to join the forum due to its name because they are women. Whereas I don't believe it, because that would be silly.

You’re absolutely correct, it isn’t just women who are put off by paternalistic, question-begging declarations masquerading as rational arguments. Kudos!
Zube
Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world. This thread is like a Who's Who guide to which racist/sexist members to avoid or put on ignore. Jokes are jokes. Everyone loves jokes and funny stuff. But some of you get upset that the ladies and lgbt and new folks don't like your jokes. Maybe you're just not as funny or smart as you think you are. Maybe it's not them who has the problem, but you.

There sure are lots of people who look to be offended nowadays. There are also lots of selfish, lonely, spoiled people who insist on getting attention by insulting others for kicks. Respect is a 2-way street and everyone can see who's driving one way pretty clearly.
notmiserlouagain
Zube wrote:
...spoiled dudes...

You talkin´about me? Dead Banana

Zube wrote:
...decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world. This thread is like a Who's Who guide to which racist/sexist members to avoid or put on ignore. Jokes are jokes. Everyone loves jokes and funny stuff. But some of you get upset that the ladies and lgbt and new folks don't like your jokes. Maybe you're just not as funny or smart as you think you are. Maybe it's not them who has the problem, but you.

There sure are lots of people who look to be offended nowadays. There are also lots of selfish, lonely, spoiled people who insist on getting attention by insulting others for kicks. Respect is a 2-way street and everyone can see who's driving one way pretty clearly.

Ok, everything you say is true, BUT-
even as imaginary spoiled person *I* HAVE TO DECIDE what is offensive anyway, for *myself* as base of *my* actions, and *I* may totally fail in that decision! I should be allowed to, if *I* have any social competence and adjust *my* behaviour according to the feedback of others.

My unimaginary self doesn´t understand why the feedback should include so much spite and zealotry (my understanding) as to call people racist/sexist based on single remarks in web fora. Totally without me feeling adressed, it would be ridiculous to call me racist/sexist in real life.

And then there must be a threshold of offensiveness, jokes must be possible that a lot of people don´t like, it´s free speach, it´s because noone has the truth alone.
Unless each person is expected to remain in stasis, it´s not only that satire or dadaism would be impossible, it´s one of humanities main desires, talking about a persons back with others, has to become a no-go, because how offensive is that e.g.?
And who decides about that threshold, the loudest, the most or the most impacted?
A lot of questions to ponder, but no, the web is allover people kindergarten-bashing each other for psychologically murky reasons (NOT talking about Zube here).

My understanding in questions of overcoming racism and sexism et al. is either being actual part of the solution or keep my mouth shut.
Which I will do now.
strettara
Zube wrote:
Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...

Yep. So stop doing it.
thebrotherspus
strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:
Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...

Yep. So stop doing it.

Ha! lol
Zube
strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:

Yep. So stop doing it.

A shining example of our forum. A lot of your fellow wigglers feel the same about your corny version of "comedy": stop doing it
strettara
Zube wrote:
strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:

Yep. So stop doing it.

A shining example of our forum. A lot of your fellow wigglers feel the same about your corny version of "comedy": stop doing it

Oh that hurts. You don't find me funny cry cry cry
Shledge
To be fair, I do enjoy dickbutt... but I have to agree with everyone else unfortunately. seriously, i just don't get it
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I agree with everyone, always. You're all right.
notmiserlouagain
Paranormal Patroler
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I agree with everyone, always. You're all right.

Quoted for posterity. hihi
spotta
11 year old thread, shit changes, now I have 4 daughters who are currently 20, 8, 6&6. They are all starting to show an interest in synthesis, it would be nice if I didn’t have to explain the name. I’d change my vote if I could.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next [all]
Page 45 of 47