Is "Muff Wiggler" offensive?

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Locked

What do you think?

It's bordering on, or is, unacceptable to me
101
7%
It's mildly offensive, to be honest
190
13%
It's immature/stupid, but harmless
223
16%
I don't care either way
297
21%
It's pretty funny! But I see the other side as well
215
15%
I think it rocks!
404
28%
 
Total votes: 1430

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2838
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:10 am

xenosapien wrote:Just gonna say that I called the "hitting too close to home" part. ;)
(No offense dubonaire.)

Let´s not forget that we are mostly joking around with those name "suggestions", right? ;)
...were we?

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5983
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Shledge wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Shledge wrote:Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)
Speak for yourself. There is nothing worse than a reductionist apologist.
Lets scratch balls and mansplain the night away
Just to be clear, I'm a white dude in a poor asian country - you can't get much more privileged white dude than me. I feel it every day.

I was making what was obviously an overly obscure ironic comment.

User avatar
PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote: well, I know it's factual, because I have met women who have said this. and others have expressed this also. I see no reason to disbelieve any of these people.
So you don't know "IN FACT has kept some women away (reasonably)".
Nelson Baboon wrote:I'm not sure why you bring up the rest of it, except to raise a ruckus.
Because it's something that's been repeatedly seen in this and similar threads. And it's the best explanation for what you claim you heard.

The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being). Which is implausible. So it's more likely they were expressing that they were against what they think its name represents or some of the other things they might have heard about this forum (showing you they were people who held the "right" opinions).

Allow me to put it another way. Hypothetically, if someone were to say, "I'm not joining anything called The National Defense League!" It's not that person is objecting to its name, and would join if it were changed. The objection is to what an organization with such a name likely represents.

Whereas the name "Muff Wiggler" doesn't likely represent anything, except a lack of seriousness in choosing names. The problem is that people who weren't familiar with the forum wanted to project aspersions on to it. So not knowing any better, perhaps they aren't willing to see for themselves.
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Shledge wrote:I have some name suggestions :party:

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons
- Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)
- Crackheads (...face it, we are)
Titties 'n' Beer.
strictly a suit and tie wearing motherfucker

User avatar
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 pm

PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote: well, I know it's factual, because I have met women who have said this. and others have expressed this also. I see no reason to disbelieve any of these people.
So you don't know "IN FACT has kept some women away (reasonably)".
Sure I do. I mean, I don't have a peer researched article, but in general, if you have met people who tell you that they have kept away because of the name, and that others have related similar experiences, it is as close to a fact as one usually gets in life for somewhat ambiguous issues like this. I'm fine with it. But I think you're not because you're simply not sympathetic to the issue.
Nelson Baboon wrote:I'm not sure why you bring up the rest of it, except to raise a ruckus.
Because it's something that's been repeatedly seen in this and similar threads. And it's the best explanation for what you claim you heard.

The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being).
well, frankly, it's attitudes like yours that get quoted on other forums in discussions about the attitudes here. Of course we know how irrational women are.

yeah - don't want to work myself up arguing with you again. Brings back too many memories, and it just isn't worth it.

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Post by notmiserlouagain » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Is "Muffwiggler" offensive?

Let me put it this way, if you don´t have more urgent problems, you must be pretty well off...

What is totally offensive to me is the amount of spite and aggression that is injected in most public discourse about real offensive behaviour (the kind that actually hurts anyone). It is not helpful at all.

Free (and often stupid) speech much more valuable than politeness.

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Post by notmiserlouagain » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 pm

No edit button? "the kind that actually hurts someone.." it should be

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm

strettara wrote:
Shledge wrote:I have some name suggestions :party:

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons
- Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)
- Crackheads (...face it, we are)
Titties 'n' Beer.
http://mugsnjugssportsbar.com/

And then there's always Hooters.

I guess women don't exactly visit those establishments either. Hmm.

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:39 am

SynthBaron wrote:
strettara wrote:
Shledge wrote:I have some name suggestions :party:

- Cats 'n Cables
- Art 'n Farts
- PSU & The Hintons
- Privileged White Dudes with Synths (face it, we pretty much are at the moment)
- Crackheads (...face it, we are)
Titties 'n' Beer.
http://mugsnjugssportsbar.com/

And then there's always Hooters.

I guess women don't exactly visit those establishments either. Hmm.
I imagine that some will and some won't. You can't please everyone. I suppose the real question is: should you even try?

Reprehensibly yours,

Rob.
strictly a suit and tie wearing motherfucker

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2838
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 am

I wonder why men would even go to the likes of a Hooters. Just seems a bit desperate.

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 am

Shledge wrote:I wonder why men would even go to the likes of a Hooters. Just seems a bit desperate.
Had to look Hooters up, only to find out there´s one even in my city. They´re fishing in the sewer alright...

Too much testosteron probably needs balancing by some estrogene (inherent in beer, cheap meat, etc.)

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 am

Shledge wrote:I wonder why men would even go to the likes of a Hooters. Just seems a bit desperate.
They have good wings, like Muff's has good posts.

User avatar
PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3333
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sure I do. I mean, I don't have a peer researched article, but in general, if you have met people who tell you that they have kept away because of the name, and that others have related similar experiences, it is as close to a fact as one usually gets in life for somewhat ambiguous issues like this. I'm fine with it. But I think you're not because you're simply not sympathetic to the issue.
No, it's because you've demonstrated a loose relationship with the truth.

For an immediate example, let's look at how you just ignored what I actually wrote, and instead quoted it out of context:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being).
well, frankly, it's attitudes like yours that get quoted on other forums in discussions about the attitudes here. Of course we know how irrational women are.
Which leaves out the part where I said it was implausible.

So let's be clear here who is being sexist. You believe that people would be less likely to join the forum due to its name because they are women. Whereas I don't believe it, because that would be silly.
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 am
Location: Austin, Tex-ass

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:11 pm

PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote: Sure I do. I mean, I don't have a peer researched article, but in general, if you have met people who tell you that they have kept away because of the name, and that others have related similar experiences, it is as close to a fact as one usually gets in life for somewhat ambiguous issues like this. I'm fine with it. But I think you're not because you're simply not sympathetic to the issue.
No, it's because you've demonstrated a loose relationship with the truth.

For an immediate example, let's look at how you just ignored what I actually wrote, and instead quoted it out of context:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
The alternative explanation is that these people meant it literally. That they would have joined this forum if it had a different name (and bothered to tell you about it). That would be a childishly silly position (and exposing how irrational they were being).
well, frankly, it's attitudes like yours that get quoted on other forums in discussions about the attitudes here. Of course we know how irrational women are.
Which leaves out the part where I said it was implausible.

So let's be clear here who is being sexist. You believe that people would be less likely to join the forum due to its name because they are women. Whereas I don't believe it, because that would be silly.
You’re absolutely correct, it isn’t just women who are put off by paternalistic, question-begging declarations masquerading as rational arguments. Kudos!

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:16 am

Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world. This thread is like a Who's Who guide to which racist/sexist members to avoid or put on ignore. Jokes are jokes. Everyone loves jokes and funny stuff. But some of you get upset that the ladies and lgbt and new folks don't like your jokes. Maybe you're just not as funny or smart as you think you are. Maybe it's not them who has the problem, but you.

There sure are lots of people who look to be offended nowadays. There are also lots of selfish, lonely, spoiled people who insist on getting attention by insulting others for kicks. Respect is a 2-way street and everyone can see who's driving one way pretty clearly.

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Zube wrote:...spoiled dudes...
You talkin´about me? :deadbanana:
Zube wrote:...decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world. This thread is like a Who's Who guide to which racist/sexist members to avoid or put on ignore. Jokes are jokes. Everyone loves jokes and funny stuff. But some of you get upset that the ladies and lgbt and new folks don't like your jokes. Maybe you're just not as funny or smart as you think you are. Maybe it's not them who has the problem, but you.

There sure are lots of people who look to be offended nowadays. There are also lots of selfish, lonely, spoiled people who insist on getting attention by insulting others for kicks. Respect is a 2-way street and everyone can see who's driving one way pretty clearly.
Ok, everything you say is true, BUT-
even as imaginary spoiled person *I* HAVE TO DECIDE what is offensive anyway, for *myself* as base of *my* actions, and *I* may totally fail in that decision! I should be allowed to, if *I* have any social competence and adjust *my* behaviour according to the feedback of others.

My unimaginary self doesn´t understand why the feedback should include so much spite and zealotry (my understanding) as to call people racist/sexist based on single remarks in web fora. Totally without me feeling adressed, it would be ridiculous to call me racist/sexist in real life.

And then there must be a threshold of offensiveness, jokes must be possible that a lot of people don´t like, it´s free speach, it´s because noone has the truth alone.
Unless each person is expected to remain in stasis, it´s not only that satire or dadaism would be impossible, it´s one of humanities main desires, talking about a persons back with others, has to become a no-go, because how offensive is that e.g.?
And who decides about that threshold, the loudest, the most or the most impacted?
A lot of questions to ponder, but no, the web is allover people kindergarten-bashing each other for psychologically murky reasons (NOT talking about Zube here).

My understanding in questions of overcoming racism and sexism et al. is either being actual part of the solution or keep my mouth shut.
Which I will do now.

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 am

Zube wrote:Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...
Yep. So stop doing it.
strictly a suit and tie wearing motherfucker

User avatar
thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Sarnia, Canada

Post by thebrotherspus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 am

strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...
Yep. So stop doing it.
Ha! :lol:

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 am

strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...
Yep. So stop doing it.
A shining example of our forum. A lot of your fellow wigglers feel the same about your corny version of "comedy": stop doing it

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Das Land der eisernen Wurst

Post by strettara » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Zube wrote:
strettara wrote:
Zube wrote:Always a great look on this site when spoiled dudes decide what is offensive and what is not for others around the world...
Yep. So stop doing it.
A shining example of our forum. A lot of your fellow wigglers feel the same about your corny version of "comedy": stop doing it
Oh that hurts. You don't find me funny :cry: :cry: :cry:
strictly a suit and tie wearing motherfucker

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2838
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Post by Shledge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 pm

To be fair, I do enjoy dickbutt... but I have to agree with everyone else unfortunately. :despair:

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7576
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm

I agree with everyone, always. You're all right.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm

[video][/video]

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10668
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I agree with everyone, always. You're all right.
Quoted for posterity. :hihi:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
spotta
Needs more wigglin' time
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Essex. UK

Post by spotta » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 am

11 year old thread, shit changes, now I have 4 daughters who are currently 20, 8, 6&6. They are all starting to show an interest in synthesis, it would be nice if I didn’t have to explain the name. I’d change my vote if I could.

Locked

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”