MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

metalbox sequencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author metalbox sequencers
vmgas
any experiences with any of these modules?
i have a hexzone and a binary zone but im looking for a more "live" feeling option and the only frac options ive come across are with metalbox
consumed
the sequential switch is a super flexible and interesting sequencer, highly recommended.
emergencyofstate
The gate sequencer is very fun/flexible module.
vmgas
those were the two im feeling torn between
the programmer/sequencer looks great but is just too fucking big
anything more either of you could say on each?
emergencyofstate
vmgas wrote:
those were the two im feeling torn between
the programmer/sequencer looks great but is just too fucking big
anything more either of you could say on each?

~ The gate sequencer is very compact and shallow module. Fits in my shallow bugbrand boat.

~ It's really cool that you can set the sequence length from 1 to 8 so you can build patterns passed on 3/4, 7/8

~ 2 separate "mixes" so you can build 2 unique patterns
plord
All of the Metalbox modules are the wolf's balls.

The Sequential Switch plus a Binary Zone connected to direction and inhibit will make some SERIOUSLY long and freaky sequences. I'd go so far to say that if you own a Seq Sw and you don't have a BZ dedicated to it you have no idea what the SS can do. It is a monster, way, way, more capable than yer typical 8 step sequencer. Also: connecting all 8 audio outputs from a Wiard 300 series Wogglebug to the inputs and stepping them is hella fun.

The Gate Sequencer also rocks, and you can do the same BZ trick (the magic jack is called disable here, not inhibit as on the SS) to make very long gate patterns.

Both modules will benefit from a quantizer.

An overlooked Metalbox module is the Gated Comparator. It kicks ass. The shift register outputs let you trigger events in series; feed it white noise for random patterns or a sequence for something repeatable (times 8, so if you want something to happen exactly 4 beats after something else happens, bingo). The Random Melody output and Reverse IM on the new larger version give you bonus CV outputs, send them to pitch inputs or slew and send to filter cutoff or FM amount.

The Analog Logic and Pulse Divider/Logic modules are also excellent. and the Slope Detector. It's really easy to wind up with 2 full rows of Metalbox sequencing modules, it all I'm saying.
vmgas
guess i have some heavy thinking to do
otoskope
I have the Metalbox SeqSwitch, and it's great. Works both as a typical (boring) 8step sequencer, but also as an 8way seq switch, and with gate outs for all steps. As mentioned above, you can do crazy things controlling direction and run/stop with CVs, too. I think it could be more compact, though - lots of unused space on the faceplate. But functionality is wonderful.
´
/Palle
Mood Organ
Sequential Switch is a monster. Highly recommended.

I am very fond of the Divider & Logic module as well.

I don't have the Gate Sequencer (I use a Klee for that) but I'm sure it must kick ass.
Mike Fun
I'd be interested in hearing about the Metalbox Sequential Switch vs the Blacet Hex Zone. There's definitely some overlap in functionality, but what is the benefit of having both, if any?
Cat-A-Tonic
Mike Fun wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing about the Metalbox Sequential Switch vs the Blacet Hex Zone. There's definitely some overlap in functionality, but what is the benefit of having both, if any?

The unique features of the MetalBox Sequential Switch are the VC Direction, and the VC Inhibit.
I don't have one, but I presume it is a step in the direction
towards the Doepfer A-152 VC Addressed Switch (which rules BTW).

The unique feature of the Blacet HexZone is the programmable routing of the switch I/O jacks.
You can send one sound source in without using multiple jacks,
and have it output on several stages of your choice.
Programming this sort of thing with multiple sound sources is the Irish wolfhound's bollocks.
...and it has 16 steps.
...and programmable gate width per step.
vmgas
one hex zone question
is there a way to clear the memory?
i kind of want to just clear everything out and forget about all my current sequences
vmgas
Dead Banana seriously, i just don't get it Dead Banana
Cat-A-Tonic
vmgas wrote:
one hex zone question
is there a way to clear the memory?
i kind of want to just clear everything out and forget about all my current sequences

The manual, or John would be the ones to consult about that.

You can keep all your current sequences saved on that ROM chip,
and swap in a new one though.
vmgas
i checked the manual but found nothing
shot john an email but havent heard anything
i just imagine there would have to be some kind of method for doing so
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1