MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Synthasystem Discussion and Appreciation Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Author The Synthasystem Discussion and Appreciation Thread
dingebre
This is brilliant! Thank you for the photo and description.

David

diophantine wrote:
Isaiah thankfully reminded me of this thread!

Here is my completed system:

I finished it about a year ago, and have given it quite a bit of use then then. One of my initial goals in building the system was to have a very direct system where I didn't have to choose between VCOs, VCFs, etc. I'm happy to say it fills that role perfectly, and it sounds great! Quite often it'll be the first synth I patch up when I go into the studio (for those reasons mentioned) and it nearly always ends up in a recording.

The only mods I ended up doing were due to the use of banana jacks: internal/external switched on the S&H, pull-down resistors on the VCAs (probably not necessary), and no normalizing on the Triple EG (not really a mod, just an omission).

I went with S-Triggers, which I knew was a risk, but I have no regrets. The only "gotcha" is the trigger I/O jacks on the sequencer - try and OR something off of that and you end up triggering the sequencer. This is obvious, but sometimes in the heat of patching you don't think of it... Otherwise, being able to OR these signals - particularly the stage outputs of the sequencer - is great.

I'm also still happy I went with banana jacks. They help with the S-Triggers, and I have had no issues. I since have built a TTSH and Frac system with minijacks, and still have no regrets on using bananas with the Synthasystem. It feels solid, and loses no meaningful functionality.

There's still some modules that I haven't had time to play with enough, a few modules that don't get much use that I may end up replacing, etc. I will document that later. I'm actually hoping to make some videos about these modules; we'll see if that happens.

I plan to built a utility panel in the bottom U, with S-Trig/V-Trig converters, TS/Banana converters, and probably a PAiA Hot Springs reverb (or two?). I have 3 VCA/Mixers, and was planning to use the 3rd mostly to mix modular signals with reverb, since the Hot Springs doesn't include a wet/dry mix (unless my memory is mistaken).

Long story short, this is an excellent project! Everything sounds great and works well together. I couldn't be happier having done this as my first fully DIY modular project. It is getting a ton of use. And it is an extra plus when friends come over and have fun using it, especially folks like Steve Roach who got to use the originals back in the 70s!
MechaSeb
So beautiful diophantine love love
Funny enough i've started again this project.

Just fisnihed the Frequency Divider (such a simple but eleant & fun module by the wway !) and have a question about it's functionnality. Everything seems working except when i input a square wave, the bottom row Octave Select doesn't give me 5,9 neither 15 division. I have only a division of 3, 7 & 11. Meanwhile it looks like it's working as it shloud with a trig input signal. Is that the normal behaviour ?
dingebre
MechaSeb wrote:
So beautiful diophantine love love
Funny enough i've started again this project.

Just fisnihed the Frequency Divider (such a simple but eleant & fun module by the wway !) and have a question about it's functionnality. Everything seems working except when i input a square wave, the bottom row Octave Select doesn't give me 5,9 neither 15 division. I have only a division of 3, 7 & 11. Meanwhile it looks like it's working as it shloud with a trig input signal. Is that the normal behaviour ?

I'm sending an email. This is not normal behavior. The input is vest when there is a sharp edge on the signal, square wave or sawtooth.

David
dingebre
Just a ping to the thread.

David
Isaiah
Some wonderful Synthasystem Sketches by the great Todd Barton:
http://youtu.be/gquxjZe_O-s
dingebre
These are great videos. I grabbed a bunch of still frames so I could try to duplicate his patches. I also loved the Microcon and Synthacon videos he has also published.

Thanks for posting the link.

David
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Page 6 of 6