MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Synthasystem Discussion and Appreciation Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author The Synthasystem Discussion and Appreciation Thread
Rod Serling Fan Club
MechaSeb wrote:

Isaiah wrote:
RSFC
Did you have any joy with the Lin FM mod?

would like to know too thumbs up

I added the mod but I haven't tried it yet. The module wired and ready to go but I am missing the trimmer for the high-freq tracking PCB. I might calibrate this weekend and install the hi-freq tracking later. I'll let you know.
Isaiah
MechaSeb wrote:
Just received two of my big orders. One from David himself and the other from FPE. David is really professional and it's a pleasure to deal with. First time i receive something from FPE too but it blew my mind how the front panel are quality made. Really happy for the moment !

Wowee zowee, congratulations!
That'll keep you busy for a while! eek!
I couldn't agree more about David, such a gentleman.
Isaiah
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
MechaSeb wrote:

Isaiah wrote:
RSFC

I added the mod but I haven't tried it yet. The module wired and ready to go but I am missing the trimmer for the high-freq tracking PCB. I might calibrate this weekend and install the hi-freq tracking later. I'll let you know.

Exciting!
How did you decide to implement the mod?
e-grad
Any first hand experiences on the Triple EG?

How does it compare to function generators such as the Buchla 281?
diophantine
e-grad wrote:
Any first hand experiences on the Triple EG?

How does it compare to function generators such as the Buchla 281?

I actually just finished debugging the second EG earlier this afternoon (was a busted pad!). w00t I haven't played around with a whole lot, but a bit.

It is something of a hybrid between a traditional ADSR and a AD/AR, but with a number of extra & interesting features. Not sure if I'd compare it to a 281, but they do both allow AD and AR (though AR just on EG3), and you can combine envelopes.

Triple EG allows for more ADSR-style envelopes, but with less knob-fiddling than traditional ADSRs. It also allows a fixed sustain time on EG3, and delays on EGs 2 & 3. The damp & qtn functions also allow for the creation of interesting envelopes.

281 has the quadrature mode, CV attack/decay, repeat mode, and trigger output.

I think they're both interesting & worthwhile! I am considering building both into my MU modular, even.

It has been a while since I've seen it, but I seem to recall that in this video David did shows most all the features of the Triple EG:
e-grad
Thanks!

I've still some 281 in the pipeline and have finished one 281 which is a blast. At least for the kind of stuff I do.

However, the Triple EG seems to add some really unique features which would blend nicely with my system. ATM I must resist but guess I'll end up with one Triple EG.

Nice work, David! Thanks for making it available.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I wonder if there would be any interest in a group buy of MPC euro panels for the synthasystem? Right now my panels are etched but I wouldn't mind some professional panels if there was enough interest to make it feasible.

They would be the standard euro-silver (aluminum) color with black print. This is also how the earlier synthasystems looked.
Isaiah
RSFC
Sounds like a good idea!

I'll post photos of my panels soon.
I used David's FPD files and had them machined by thebeast.co.uk on natural aluminium with black in-fill.
They look very handsome!

I have an alternative VCO A panel that I made using David's as my starting point.
It's much more like the early, silver Synthasystems.
I'll check with David, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting it.
Isaiah
David announced the Duophonic Keyboard project here:

www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-52687.html

Rockin' Banana!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Isaiah wrote:
MechaSeb wrote:

Isaiah wrote:
RSFC

Exciting!
How did you decide to implement the mod?

I got started on trimming the VCO last night. I'm not done but I tried both FM inputs. I think the suggested resistor value is too high, it was FMing it through the linear mod but it was doing so as if it was very attenuated and there was no attenuation. exp FM and the oscillator in generaly sounds very nice so far.
negativspace
I really do love the VCO, David has it right that Nyle outdid himself with that design. Next to my Z3000 it's the one I go to most often and it never disappoints me. It tracks very well (even without the hi-freq tracking PCB, which I received after the fact and have not installed) and it always manages to sound alive no matter the waveform I use. The sawtooth cuts like a knife. I think I'll leave this one in my general Euro racks even when I pull the trigger on the standalone 9U I'm planning.

(I sent my case pattern off to my woodworker buddy a short while back so the wheels are finally turning... we bought some nice curly maple for it - exciting times!)
Isaiah

I got started on trimming the VCO last night. I'm not done but I tried both FM inputs. I think the suggested resistor value is too high, it was FMing it through the linear mod but it was doing so as if it was very attenuated and there was no attenuation. exp FM and the oscillator in generaly sounds very nice so far.

Glad to hear your VCO is working and the Lin FM mod works (to some degree).
How does the Lin FM sound?
Rod Serling Fan Club
very attenuated hihi

It’s hard to tell at that level. I need to finish adjusting trimmers and then get back to it. I might just try it without a resistor at all and work back from there.
Rod Serling Fan Club
double post
bleeps
I have some questions about the VCO-A. I'm looking for a solid DIY VCO for subtractive synthesis and I think this one will fit the bill. But, I want to slim down the panel or perhaps fit 2 or 3 behind a panel the same size as the traditional panel. Would I be missing out on any of the core features or patching potential if I did the following:
1) One output jack per waveform
2) Removed the waveform output attenuators
3) Reduced the number of CV inputs to one jack

I'm also curious about the Selective Inverter. That sounds like it could be fun to play with.
Isaiah
bleeps

Building a Dual VCO-A behind a 28HP panel is certainly possible.
I had considered doing it myself when planning a monosynth-style 3U Synthasystem, but have since decided on 6U.
(But now I'm thinking about a Dual VCO again...)

A Dual VCO would be a 3-layer PCB sandwich - VCO 1, VCO 2, two PSU.
Each VCO A PCB is 4.5" and each PSU PCB is 2.5", so you'd have to use slightly shorter or longer standoffs between VCO 2 and one of the PSU PCBs.

1 - Most VCOs only have a single output per waveform, so...

2 - If you're building a Synthasystem, I'd say the output attenuators are fairly important.
While omitting them wouldn't be a problem when using a VCF with input attenuators, most of the Synthasystem modules only have output, not input, attenuators.

3 - Two 1V/Oct inputs allows you to send a sequence to one input and transpose it with the other.
Of course you could use external modules to sum CVs externally.
Many VCOs only have one 1V/Oct input.
The VC3 input and its associated attenuator act as an Exp FM input.
bleeps
Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and keep the inputs!
diophantine
Yeah, I agree with everything Isaiah has said. The multiple outputs & attenuators are only truly useful in a Synthasystem. Note that the VC3 attenuator isn't a true attenuator, but actually adjust the gain ratio of that input with respect to the 1V/Oct inputs. It is a great VCO!

Regarding the Selective Inverter, I just finished building mine last night. So it isn't in my blog yet, and I haven't done anything with it beyond a few simple tests. One nice thing about it is that it'll act as a mixer and voltage processor too. I'm very curious to try it out in a "real world" situation...
Rod Serling Fan Club
I tried the linear FM mod without a resistor tonight. The results were much better. From my basic tests so far it seems a bit unusual, almost like the way it was reacting to the frequency that was FMing it was backwards but it was very interesting and useful sounding regardless. I still need get the oscillator fully trimmed. I'm working on a few different things at once d'oh!
Isaiah
bleeps
No worries.
I might make a Dual VCO A panel using FPE.
If I do, I'll share the file.

Diophantine
Yes, you're correct - it's not a true attenuator.

The SI looks very interesting.
Certainly as unique as the Synthasystem "voice" modules and sequencer.
Interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on using it.

RSFC
Glad to hear it's working now!
Do you mean the response to the CV is inverted (for example, a fixed positive voltage to the Lin FM input lowers the VCO frequency)?
I'm sure this could be solved using one of Ken Stone's DC Mixer PCBs set up as an inverting op-amp.
Using a pot in place of the feedback resistor would give you an attenuator.
And the PCB is small enough to be mounted like the HF Trimming PCB.
vegas7188
Hey all,
sorry i think this is probably a pretty newbie question, but i was thinking of diy'ing a couple of the simpler modules, was just wondering about the power regulation parts. on the schematics of each individual module it shows the power regulation circuits at the bottom, there is also a separate power regulation and filtering pcb listed.

I intend to be using the finished modules in a low-cost doepfer euro case, which provides +-12v, so do i need the power regulation sections on each schematic on each separate module i make, or is one of these for many modules enough? or do i even need one at all? considering i have the doepfer power supply (which i'm guessing is regulated?)

If i don't need the whole power regulation sections on the schematic, which parts of the power part on the schematic do i need?

Thanks very much,
David
Isaiah
Each module requires its own PSU PCB (or the on-board PSU filtering components).
It's not possible to share one PSU PCB between several modules.
But each module PCB set includes a PSU PCB anyway (or space for the PSU components on-board, in the case of the single-PCB modules).

Even if your Doepfer case provided the necessary +12/-10V, each module would still need the PSU PCB or on-board PSU filtering components, because some modules have extra filtering components (I believe they are labelled 'As Required' on the schematics & PCBs).

For use in a(n) Eurorack system you need all of the PSU filtering components, except the positive regulator and the associated components (these are identified in the schematic and on the PCBs).
The only modules I can think of that don't use -V, and thus require no negative filtering components at all, are the Noise Generator and the Triple EG.

If you read through all of the literature, it should be in there.
David's documentation of the modules is top notch.
Hope that helps!
vegas7188
Brilliant, thanks for the info Isaiah,

You're right all the documentation is great, i think i was just getting confused in my head about whether or not each module needed the psu bit!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Isaiah wrote:
RSFC
Glad to hear it's working now!
Do you mean the response to the CV is inverted (for example, a fixed positive voltage to the Lin FM input lowers the VCO frequency)?
I'm sure this could be solved using one of Ken Stone's DC Mixer PCBs set up as an inverting op-amp.
Using a pot in place of the feedback resistor would give you an attenuator.
And the PCB is small enough to be mounted like the HF Trimming PCB.

From my initial tests, the response did seem to be inverted.
Isaiah
No worries.
Which modules are you interested in?

Diophantine seems to be the Synthasystem Master around here, I'm sure he'll chime in if you're looking for opinions on certain modules.

I'm currently in the process of wiring my VCF, VCA and Triple EG.
Not the most fun I've ever had, I must admit...
Anyway, when they're finished I'll post photos and maybe a video.

David Ingebretson is a pleasure to deal with and true professional.
I, and many other folk, can't recommend the Synthasystem project enough thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6