MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

who own a Chimera?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next [all]
Author who own a Chimera?
strettara
seth wrote:
I guess I'm one of those "suspicious" people who only post in this thread, and I've actually been accused of being a shill for Ben here before. The reason I don't post all that much is that I much prefer mailing lists to forums, and I'm not a shill for Ben but rather a customer with perhaps infinite patience. I'll either get what I paid for (bC16) all those years ago or I won't (SM16). That money's gone, and getting it back will just cause me to spend it foolishly somewhere else, of course, so I'd rather leave it where it is.

I too just got one of those emails from Ben. I'm "happy" to wait for my sequencer, and if I get it one day, well, that's a total bonus at this point. I could ask for a refund but I'd rather have the gear. If it somehow arrives around Christmas time that'd be great. If it doesn't arrive for two years, well, that'd be a bummer.

Am I Ben's biggest fan? No, not at all. Can I see the point of those who are very pissed off? Sure. Do I have to be pissed off and convince everyone here to be pissed off as well? Well, no. Should Ben take new orders at this point? Nope nope nope. Doesn't appear his web site is accepting orders though I suppose you could call and demand to give him money if you wanted to. Not sure I'd recommend that though. Do I want to see Ben finally succeed in his synth business? Absolutely yes. Would I order again from him? Today, no. When there's been a steady stream of shipped synths, well, I might.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here. I guess I'm just saying that I'm willing to wait because at this point I have nothing to lose by doing so. The money's long been spent, and hopefully one day I'll get my SM16.

Call me a shill if you want, or call me an naive nitwit. Whatever. Hopefully Ben can get it together and make this work. I hope so. Not going to hold my breath, but I'm also not going storm the castle either.

Seth

Bravo.
seth
snufkin wrote:
Out of interest does it worry you that he did this long before synths with other companies, such as the robotics one and he never came good on those orders?

Well, "no" would be sort of inaccurate, but I don't want to say "yes" either.

I waited three or four years for the Solaris as I was in the first batch. Current batches are at most a few months I think as now they just have to make them, whereas with the first batch they didn't exist yet. And either this year or last year I received a box of MOTM modules from Paul after years, and honestly had completely forgotten about them. I would have been none the wiser if they'd never arrived, but they did.

Both of those orders were in the thousands of dollars but the SM16 is in the hundreds of dollars. If it never arrives I'll be bummed but it won't break me financially, although there were times it would have.

Am I happy about all this? No, not really. But there's not much else to do here but shrug and hope one day he comes through. I'm not going to fly to England and hire a lawyer to get my $300 back. And I'm also not going to spend my energy pulling out my non-existent hair over this either. I truly hope to one day receive the sequencer, and if I never do, well, that'd suck.

So no, not worried about this at all. For me at least it just doesn't seem worth the energy expenditure. Can definitely say he's lost any potential future business of mine unless there's some new history of happy item receivers over some extended period of time. So I'm more "wait and see" as opposed to worried. So it's been a long time, and yes some money. I'll manage to somehow go on with my life though, and to keep making music.

And you know what? I hope he *does* one day succeed beyond all of our wildest expectations. Because that'd be cool.
opsysbug
edit: never mind whistlin'
sungja
6 years and nothing but empty promises and lies. sad banana
seth
opsysbug wrote:
edit: never mind whistlin'

Wow, that was one heck of an edit! :-)
opsysbug
Yea. Glad I did it though. Pretty crazy crap getting tossed around here.
Get's my teeth clacking. But whatever.... seriously, i just don't get it .
dalasv
Well surprise surprise, Ben has never bothered to answer my email (a reply to his email) asking once again for a refund. Sure seems like nothing has changed.
richard
dalasv wrote:
Well surprise surprise, Ben has never bothered to answer my email (a reply to his email) asking once again for a refund. Sure seems like nothing has changed.

QFE
Chimera Synthesis
My last email (re: bCX/SM16) was sent at the beginning of Sept. 2014 to all bCX/SM16 outstanding orders including Dalas:

"Hello,

Several years ago you placed an order for an SM16 or bCX with Chimera Synthesis Ltd. I'd like to update you on this, but first a little background:

Early this summer I wrote to all those with a bC16 back ordered from Chimera Synthesis with an update on their order. Over the course of this summer the new bC16 mk5 has been finished off and it is now in production, last weekend I wrote again to obtain up-to-date shipping addresses, I'm now in the process of building & delivering bC16 mk5's (this will take some weeks).

I would now like to do the same with both the SM16 and bCX, with one or two minor differences - unlike the bC16, both the SM16 & bCX went through numerous iterations and neither made it into series production, as a result I'm starting both projects effectively from 'fresh' and would like to take this opportunity to involve you in the process. I will be making a series of videos for my website and actively seeking comments - I certainly won't be designing by committee or will necessarily incorporate or implement suggestions, but I hope it will be a great way to explain the rationale behind decisions that I do make.

Timescales - I'm aiming to get the new SM16 out before this Christmas (it will have a machined alloy casing, which takes 4-6 weeks to make), and the bCX after that. However this will depend on what issues I have - I will keep posting updates on their progress, which may interest you.

If you would like a refund for your order, then I will be processing ex-gratis payments when production has started of the SM16/bCX. I'd really like to deliver this order though!

As I'm now doing all these projects under my name, I have a new forum and youtube channel. You can see these by visiting www.ben-fisher.co.uk.

kind regards,

Ben Fisher
"

To which I got plenty of replies (including one from Dalas), these are all logged and the individual preferences (delivery/refund/substitution) have been noted.

When I have something relevant to say/show regarding these units I'll post videos and be available to enter a dialog with anyone interested on my forum.
Howling Terror
For those that may be interested in buying anything by Ben Fisher I'd highly recommend doing some internet research. ;-)

I never got what I paid for and was patient. I never received a refund. In the end (and we are talking polite correspondence over 3 years!) I lost my rag and wished him a cancerous face. I'm not proud of my playground outburst but I have more credibility in my foreskin than Ben Fisher hihi

Guess I could take him to small claims court...it would cost more than my initial outlay, or I could advise that people research Ben Fisher from Chimera Synthesis and come to their own conclusion.
Dave Peck
Chimera Synthesis wrote:

To which I got plenty of replies (including one from Dalas), these are all logged and the individual preferences (delivery/refund/substitution) have been noted.

When I have something relevant to say/show regarding these units I'll post videos and be available to enter a dialog with anyone interested on my forum.

When you repeatedly lied about delivering the product for several years and repeatedly avoided responding to people who requested that you refund their money, they don't give a damn about you 'logging their preferences' and hearing from you when you 'have something relevant to say' now. They want you to send them their money and stop aggravating things further with more and more BS like your comment above. You're just making things worse. How can you not see that?
dalasv
Dave Peck wrote:
Chimera Synthesis wrote:

When you repeatedly lied about delivering the product for several years and repeatedly avoided responding to people who requested that you refund their money, they don't give a damn about you 'logging their preferences' and hearing from you when you 'have something relevant to say' now. They want you to send them their money and stop aggravating things further with more and more BS like your comment above. You're just making things worse. How can you not see that?

Yeah, exactly. This isn't what customer service is. I don't want you to "log my preference," I want you to give back the money you stole from me.
Umcorps
Howling Terror wrote:

Guess I could take him to small claims court...it would cost more than my initial outlay.

It shouldn't cost you anything other than time.

When you make a successful claim the other side have to pay what they owe you PLUS the fee you had to pay to lodge the claim.
Fidgit
you can report him (and the fraud he committed) to the official UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre (www.actionfraud.police.uk)

i did so as several others wigglers did, too. it works also for non UK citizens.
WIZARDISHUNGRY
Order placed: 28 October 2008
bC16mk5 received: 15 January 2015…

SlayerBadger!
rob.ocelot
WIZARDISHUNGRY wrote:
Order placed: 28 October 2008
bC16mk5 received: 15 January 2015…

SlayerBadger!

Wow, a little over six years.

Still, good to see that some people are getting the synths they paid for and deserve.
richard
just bumping to keep this godforsaken frustrating and horrible thread alive
rob.ocelot
richard wrote:
just bumping to keep this godforsaken frustrating and horrible thread alive

It's all gone a bit radio silent again, hasn't it?

Knew it was too good to be true.

Meanwhile, Andrew Kilpatrick does a kickstarter for a killer patchable all-in-one synth (Phenol) and delivers it on time -- 6 months total. Ben Fisher hasn't updated his blog in twice as many months. Dead Banana
dalasv
Posted my BC-16 to the sale forum if anyone wants one.
GLL
I want to buy a Chimera BC8. Does any of you guys have one for sale? Thanks.
coilsandco
Our friend Ben Fisher seems to have gone back into the camera business

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ben-fisher-41134a1b

http://www.endole.co.uk/company/09735041/edcam-limited

And on it goes...
Nelson Baboon
coilsandco wrote:

And on it goes...

no problem. Can we change the thread title to 'Who own a camera'?
chamomileshark
Nelson Baboon wrote:
coilsandco wrote:

And on it goes...

no problem. Can we change the thread title to 'Who own a camera'?

I owns a camera!!!! But it's digital...
rhythminmind
Sept 2010 was the wonderful day I 1st interacted with Ben. It's been a fun BC16less 6+ years
rob.ocelot
rhythminmind wrote:
Sept 2010 was the wonderful day I 1st interacted with Ben. It's been a fun BC16less 6+ years

I feel your pain, man.

If it's any consolation, it looks like Ben's karma has caught up to him somewhat.

His new business EdCam has absolutely zero web presence, no products, and he's listed as the only employee in the business registration. He's done no other designs for Dubrec -- I secretly suspect they got tired of the obvious questions about Ben that cropped up on every forum with a Stylophone thread. He's pretty much burned every bridge and pissed on the embers in every industry he's tried to market a product in. The minute he tries to start up elswehere he gets noticed (he's got a very distinctive M.O., a very distinctive way of writing, and a very distinctive way of designing web pages that looked shitty and out of date even in the early 2000s) and gets shut down by a very vocal group of victims who warn everyone to stay away.

Building and shipping synths to happy customers was the simpler, easier path.

If only...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next [all]
Page 47 of 48