MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BitVision images - share and discuss
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author BitVision images - share and discuss
bitSmasher
For those that own the LZX BitVision, and other curious folk...

The product information mentions
Finally, we wanted BitVision to be an expandable and continually useful tool for creating video art. To this end we’ve included an AVR-ISP programming header on the circuit board which can be used to reprogram BitVision with new images, palettes, or entirely alternate applications

Whilst it's not an entirely straightforward drag+drop to get images on to the BitVision it's still easy enough for most tinkerers with the right tools.
The "hard" part is creating simple 32x32 pixel images that work effectively in terms of both graphics and palette.

Taking the idea from a post in another thread-

andrewF wrote:
Maybe we can get an image thread going for people to share code.
If anyone missed it the page for creating new images is here -
http://lzxindustries.net/bitvisiondev/bitvision.swf

for anyone wanting to mod their BitVision: a good way to find images is use google search, select images, then in the left side column, under "Any size" select 'exactly' and input 32 pxl by 32 px, then search away.
images need to be in gif or jpg, but can be easily converted in Paint.
It is even worth just looking for B&W images, as the image converter works off brightness, so these tend to turn out better in Bitvision. Colour images can be hit & miss, some are ok, some don't work at all. Of course if you are creative you can draw your own.

Here it is... a thread to share and discuss BitVision images.

It'd be great to have the image and palette posted as both screenshots and code.

I'm working on a bunch right now and will hopefully have them finished and tested by the weekend - will endeavour to post any/everything I create Cheesy!
andrewF
here's a bunch
I have the code but it is a 73 page document, maybe better just to choose the ones you want and use Lars' converter page.
Got more somewhere.....will post when i find them
lizlarsen
Awesome!! I have some I can post, too.

It's important to note that images get split into a 16 color palette when they go into the converter application. This palette is treated like an amplitude map of sorts, and when applied to the Bitvision's envelope follower modulation settings, translates palette index into shape. In the Atari Video Music you have a two mixed horizontal & vertical triangle-wave ramps. These create a diamond shape. In Bitvision, it's the same basic principle, except instead of two ramps, you have a small frame buffer! Therefore when creating images for the Bitvision, it's possible to kind of design an animation into a still image itself.
xart
OK. you sucked me into it. Time to w00t like its 1977.

Just ordered the AVR programmer. thumbs up

How can i resist not making art with 32x32 pixel imagez of my kitty, Princess!
dantombs
Hi Guys,

Been loving using the bitvision in tandem with my VDMX set up on my Mac, however I am still struggling to get my own custom images on the bitvision, I have a virtual install of windows XP on my mac but getting frustrated with AVR studio, doesn't seem to want to talk to my AVR programmer.

Has anyone had any success with AVR software running natively on Mac OS X?

Thanks Dan
revmutt
dantombs wrote:

Has anyone had any success with AVR software running natively on Mac OS X?

Thanks Dan

I have the same question. It's really the only thing holding me back. I want to be able to actually program my own images.
bitSmasher
bitSmasher wrote:
I'm working on a bunch right now and will hopefully have them finished and tested by the weekend - will endeavour to post any/everything I create Cheesy!
Did I say weekend of the 14th? Woops, I meant weekend of the 4th... been a bit distracted with equipment failures and other frustrating hardware issues evil
bitSmasher
Alright, after a few weeks of procrastination and other setbacks, I commited myself to get the BitVision working by the weekend...
This'll be split in to two long-winded posts, I'm a bit of a n00b so will detail what I went through for other n00bs to learn from thumbs up

Firstly, creating images:
My editor of choice is Paint.NET as it's a bit like MSPaint but with layers and a few extra features. Pretty cool for simple stuff, like what we're undertaking.

Firstly a 32x32 pixel grid was created as my base file, then use a layer or two for drawing in. It took a bit of struggling with strained eyes staring at the grid for a while before I found the "pixel grid" option in View menu... so no need for a grid background anymore and slightly less of this > zombie

Using Google image search, and narrowing options to 32x32 size, was a quick and easy way of finding material to start with.
Even easier was the ability to drag the image from FireFox and drop it in Paint.NET, which would create a new layer for it. Brilliant!
A lot of icons rely on shading for detail, a luxury we don't have with our 16 colour palette. To deal with that, the Fill tool was used on Global setting and fine adjustment (plus a lot of ctrl+z) of the Tolerance helped.
All images were edited to use lots of contrasting colours and the shapes outlined where possible - knowing this would make for more effective output when manipulated.

I stuck with the same 16 colours for all images I worked with, but looking back I'd probably create a custom palette of greyscale in Paint.NET to reflect the BitVision's amplitude.
After creating all my images, I tried uploading them to the converter... and realised that it was seeing all my different colours as being the same amplitude. Oops.
What to do? Well, it's clunky and I'd like to know of a way to automate this - I went through each image manually, and changed the colours to grayscale.

Each image had a new layer created, for the grayscale.
A reference graph was made and kept open all the time, and using the colour picker I'd nominate which greyscale amplitude would best suit the actual colour I had used:

A lot of ctrl+tab between images, using the colour picker then fill tool d'oh! Didn't take as long as expected, but something to avoid in the future.

Once the images were saved with both colour and grayscale layers I saved the grayscale as a PNG file to convert via the web page. As each file was loaded in to the converter I took a screen snip of the resultant colour, and copied the code. Both of which were saved to individual documents for future reference.

Here's an example of two, I used a lot of game icons (mushroom, star, coin, cherries) as well as a few abstract patterns:

Since I wanted to create a pool of images for us all to use, attached are the first 16 of mine as well as the "standard" palette I started with.
In the zip is both the grayscale PNG file to drop in the converter, and the output code from converter copied and saved as .odt Open Document file (I'm using OpenOffice).
Enjoy 8_)
bitSmasher
Part 2... lots of swearing involved. Pretty much wasted 8-10 hours getting this working, mighty frustrating.

Conveniently I had a USBtiny AVR programmer from when I bought a SpokePOV kit... but it won't talk to AVR Studio. You need to jump through hoops to get the two working together.
huh? exclamation eek! help very frustrating exclamation f u very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating twisted huh? Rage! very frustrating very frustrating BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Couldn't get com0com working properly on my Win7 laptop so dug up my old 800mhz thing that's running XP, albeit very slowly. That took a few hours to figure out to start with.
Once AVR Studio 4 could talk to the programmer I tried to build the hex file, but it couldn't find an elf hmmm..... Not sure why, there was a mushroom image amongst it all so maybe the elf hid under that.
Just for curiosity's sake I flashed the BitVision with the default hex file to ensure that all worked, and it did. Partial Success! w00t!!

Couldn't figure out why AVR Studio 4 was having issues, so downloaded AVR Studio 5 and installed on my Win7 machine - I didn't dare take a chance with the old beast attempting to run it... but that meant I'd have to transfer the hex file between computers, and at that point I found my old one had a virus. Ugh, virus checks every time I swapped USB sticks, tedium.

You can import AVR S 4 files in to AVR S 5 from the File menu, that's handy. It built the file second go, which was a false success as I couldn't find the hex file anywhere. After half hour of clicking around and searching the web, I found the answer. Sneaky.

You have to right click on the Bitvision folder in "Solution Explorer", select Properties from the dropdown, then tick the box for Hex file to be generated:

This hex file will appear in the Default folder under wherever you chose to save the converted AVR S 4 files.

So... hex file transferred to old computer, flashed to BitVision, and worked! A frustrating and clunky process, but I learnt alot. The above meandering will be of reference to me if noone else, and I'm sure we can all talk our way through the process to refine it and create a decent How-To.

The major obstacle I had was getting the USBtiny programmer working. I didn't appreciate the need to have two additional pieces of software installed just to get AVR Studio talking to it. Are there other affordable and readily available programmers that would be directly compatible with AVR Studio?
bitSmasher
Triple Post eek!

Here's a sample of the new images:
lizlarsen
Woah, great posts and really great images, Rik! I'm glad you waded through all the setup muck and emerged victorious (and thanks for documenting for everyone else.)

The programmer I'm currently using (with AVR Studio 5) is the AVRISP Mk2. You can get it from DigiKey. It has been very hassle-free for me so far.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&s ite=us&KeyWords=avrisp+mk2

A Bitvision page on the video synthesis wiki with some of this info is probably a good idea. I also need to upload code for the current batch (v1.2) of Bitvisions I sent to Analogue Haven a couple weeks ago.
lizlarsen
Oh, and by the way here are some more "pixel art"-focused graphics creation programs to try out...

Cosmigo Pro Motion
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

GraFX2
http://www.eclipse-game.com/?menu=tools

PxPaint
http://pxp.grapefruitopia.com/
bitSmasher
creatorlars wrote:
The programmer I'm currently using (with AVR Studio 5) is the AVRISP Mk2. You can get it from DigiKey. It has been very hassle-free for me so far.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&s ite=us&KeyWords=avrisp+mk2
Excellent, worth paying a small amount more to avoid a whole lot of hassle thumbs up

More images to come soon enough, will get much quicker with experience...
lizlarsen
Just a quick note here. The newest Bitvisions that went out for sale are "V1.2" (printed on the PCB.) This version had a couple PCB changes that required a new software version. In addition, I'd moved over to AVR Studio 5 and the AVRISP Mk2 programmer, which is a lot simpler and involves less setup headaches. I've uploaded the V1.2 project code and revised programming instructions here:
http://www.lzxindustries.net/bitvision
barto
Lars - do you have some sort of schematic for the physical dimensions? I think i want to model a custom project box and get a 3d print. i could use calipers but i think that will take longer. i dont want this thing to get damaged when i take it to live events.
lizlarsen
I can give you a vector file of the 2D PCB layout (like you see in the assembly manual), but I'm afraid the software I use doesn't do a full model of all the parts -- so you may have to use a caliper or something. Or you could look up the datasheets for all the parts and model them, but caliper will probably be less hassle.
barto
actually that would be perfect! all i really need is the top down view so i can place holes for the pots and buttons and mounting holes. i can figure out the rest
lizlarsen
alright cool! attached is a to-scale PDF.
bitSmasher
Screw it to a plank of wood! As seen in bottom right:

You can also see the KPE and HSS3i which are cable tied to another plank of wood thumbs up
DonaldCrunk
hah! this is what i did with mine as well. woodvision.

loving the new images gents, i'm taking the default images out for a spin at a couple gigs in early april (gotta love the digital egyptian) but after those are over i'm for sure going to be trying some of these out!

my friend is already hard at work pixelating my favorite character choices from Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers Brawl to live inside. those should be nice.
tachyons+
Music video that Austin TX visual wizard duo VIDKIDZ created for a song that Os Ovni debuted in April 2012.

The BitVision art was designed by Omebi of O.O. for this video and a tour we did last year using the BV as our background projections. Was mega fun going around the U.S. showing tons of people not familiar with analog video synthesis what the BV is capable of. At times, people seemed more interested in it than our music. Had we the foresight we could have actually sold BV's on tour and supposedly people bought them after our live demonstration. Amazing how well it held up, not being cased and being played on a near nightly basis by different people for 2 months.

Hears the vid:
Just ordered said kit. Jumping in here to keep notified. Thanks to the hard work of others! SlayerBadger!
AVR Programmer question without notice.

Has anyone had luck using a AVR STK500 Ver. 2 programmer to talk to the v1.2 BVs? Or are the AVRISP MkII's picky about who they play with? hmmm.....

After ten years of not having anything to do with microprocessors, good to see confusion still reins!
default wrote:
Or are the AVRISP MkII's picky...

Sorry, that should read 'Or are the Atmega328's picky...'.

Sleep, I remember sleep.
lizlarsen
I've got an AVRISP MkII which I use with AVRStudio 5 to program the current version of the BitVisions. Should be just fine!
gymz
Hey, I am a super NOOB at this but been a fan for a while - ordered my kits ages ago but just getting down to this now.

It is great to see all this advice from everyone, thanks.

Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this.

I will post stuff as I make some progress.
Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo w00t
gymz
Hey, I am a super NOOB at this but been a fan for a while - ordered my kits ages ago but just getting down to this now.

It is great to see all this advice from everyone, thanks.

Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this.

I will post stuff as I make some progress.
Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo w00t
lizlarsen
Welcome to the forum, gymz!
bitSmasher
gymz wrote:
Bitsmasher, thanks so much for the walkthrough of your tribulations and success with this
cheers! it was fun figuring things out and getting it all working... especially since anything to do with code/programming/computers is my weak point.
I'd like to see more people use the BitVision and hope to get more image contributions to this thread soon!
Okay, finally had some time to sit down and really try and play with my BV (v1.2).

After a tiny bit of very frustrating, I was able to do a little programming using a $20 AVR STK500 v2.0 clone brought of ebay and AVR Studio 5.1

If going down this route, make sure you have the right USB-to-Serial drivers installed. This will save you about 5 years of your life. I also found I had to manually enter the ATMEL chip as it wasn't on the drop down list in Studio 5.1. Once this happened, all good.

Quote:
It's important to note that images get split into a 16 color palette when they go into the converter application. This palette is treated like an amplitude map of sorts, and when applied to the Bitvision's envelope follower modulation settings, translates palette index into shape.

Even after changing some palettes and images, I'm still not quiet getting this... seriously, i just don't get it

Also, The PROGRAM + MODE, PROGRAM + ACTION and MODE + PROGRAM button presses don't seem to be doing anything for . Anyone else had success with these? Could just need me spending the time to get to know it.

That all said, freak'n awesome bit of kit. Nice work.
lizlarsen
Spend some time playing with it and I bet it will click. BitVision's definitely an odd little thing.... tons of features are hidden behind those button press combos! I'm glad you got the programming to work. You can have lots of fun modifying that code...
lizlarsen
Just to make sure, for the alternate button combos... you are holding down one button while clicking the other, correct?
Thanks for getting back, much appreciated. thumbs up

Quote:
Spend some time playing with it and I bet it will click.

Yes. I'm sure it's a case of me being my usual 'Why doesn't this new thing work in ways I instantly understand?'.

Quote:
Just to make sure, for the alternate button combos... you are holding down one button while clicking the other, correct?

Sure am. I'm really not seeing anything change too much, especially cycle current display and palette. Though, I might be getting these confused with the counter action...

On the topic of counter action, is turning that off an option? I'd like images to just 'settle' sometimes. Or is the counter clocking some important 'behind the scenes' functions as well?
lizlarsen
Quote:
On the topic of counter action, is turning that off an option?

Hmm, I don't think so -- but since you've got compiling and code uploading going, I bet you could modify the code to do that easily enough (one of the counter actions being "do nothing"). Skim the code and let me know if you have any questions.

BitVision was definitely a case of packing in as many features as I could with only 3 buttons and 2 parameter knobs. So it can be a little enigmatic, and sometimes surprising, what happens when the modes interact in different ways. It's definitely more of a cryptic user experience that creates unexpected results, rather than being intuitive.
Quote:
It's definitely more of a cryptic user experience that creates unexpected results, rather than being intuitive.

I understand now. It's a state of mind...

I'll look through that code soon and see if I can spot where the counter action is a happening. Exciting follow up post sure to come.
mr_coops
Hi all,
New to all this so please bear with me. Just built and gigged my bitvision (a no premade content show) and really happy eith the results. I'm now looking into programming it with customn images etc followingthe link for AVRStudio 4 I get to this page

http://www.atmel.com/tools/atmelstudio.aspx
Is this the right software I need?

I've bought one of these
http://unmannedtechshop.co.uk/Pocket-AVR-Programmer?language=en&curren cy=GBP

Whic I'm hoping is the right hardware.
Any advice will be greatfully received.

Thanks
lizlarsen
That's the right software, but I'm not sure if that ISP programmer will be compatible with it -- give it a shot and see if it recognizes it.
gymz
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to centre the images on a TV screen. Messing with the aspect ratio doesn't seem to really be doing it properly. There is always a large gap at the left side of the screen on the two different TV's I am working with. One is an older TV and the other is a new flatscreen LCD - the problem is with both . Any ideas ?

I have had success programming in new images and I love this thing. it is really exciting.

For me it was a bit hard because I have not done much with software at all so I will be posting details on how a NOOB got through https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/nana.gifit.https://www .muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/bacondancing.gif

I will also send some updates when I get more images on there and I can show how I housed the bitvision itself.

I do suggest sticking to what lars suggests and get this:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=av risp%20mk2

and when I went to get AVR Studio 5 they have updated it to a newer version.

I found it a bit confusing to navigate through the new version and I could relate to some of these members earlier posts using the #5 version I found here:

http://i.amniels.com/avr-studio-4-and-5-download-links

Thanks Lars and to those that posted their trials with programming this.

Any ideas about how to centre this image or make it a real full screen ?

Thanks

GYM
gymz
Sorry I mean that the gap is on the right side of the screen and to explain it a bit clearer no matter what I do with adjusting the aspect ratio of the TV the Bitvision picture seems shifted heavily to the left of the TV and there is a big black space where nothing is going on. seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks, sorry for any confusion. Guinness ftw!

J
lizlarsen
Hey Gymz!

Some video mixers may have resize capabilities.

The reason why it's not full screen or size is that the black portion is needed to run the code -- the Bitvision maximizes the AVR chip it uses pretty hard to get all of the line-rate audio modulation happening, so it needs part of the display space to do that.

My intended use case was a low cost device to use for projections -- on a projector, you can usually adjust the display area to fill whatever you need -- so I felt sacrificing part of the display for the other capabilities (and at the low price point) was worth it.
gymz
Hey Creator,

It is good to know this. I won't stress over wondering if I did something wrong and I may actually make some structural adjustments to the actual TV viewing frame. Not sure exactly but I might haha.

The BVison is amazing, Thank you.

GYM
w00t
mr_coops
Sorry for this trying to follow instructions...but I am quite dim
The image code is the code below this line?

volatile uint8_t images[NUM_IMAGES][FBUFFER_HEIGHT][(FBUFFER_WIDTH)] PROGMEM = { // 24, 32x32, 16 values

The instructions say this
8. Repeat the same process for the image code, making sure to replace code found under sections labelled “Image #1?, etc.
I cannot find any such section hmmm.....

Thanks
lizlarsen
The comments that designate the image numbers are missing in that version of the code -- sorry about that. You're in the right section!

Don't be afraid of messing anything up. If you make a mistake, you can always recompile and upload the original code.
mr_coops
Thanks Lars super speedy response Mr. Green
I've also realised i needed to convert the project file to atmelstudio version 7.
Going to try and test image programming now
mr_coops
Tried changing one image and got the followiing when pressing F7

Error 1 The specified task executable location "C:\WinAVR-20100110\utils\bin\make.exe" is invalid. C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\Vs\Compiler.targets 5 5 bitvision

and a lot of errors
19:40:34: [ERROR] Failed to Reformat the code span. StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
19:42:29: [WARNING] Skipped reading Build Dependency settings from source project. It is either invalid or not provided., ModuleName: ProjectImporter.Core
19:42:29: [WARNING] Skipped reading Pre/Post build event settings from source project. It is either invalid or not provided., ModuleName: ProjectImporter.Core
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:42:35: [WARNING] Include file not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include\avr\iom328p.h
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:43:00: [WARNING] Include file not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include\avr\iom328p.h
19:45:49: [ERROR] Failed to Reformat the code span. StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
19:45:59: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include
19:46:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : include-fixed
19:46:00: [WARNING] Include Path not found : C:\WinAVR-20100110\avr\include
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-gcc.exe with arguments --version
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-gcc.exe with arguments --version
19:46:00: [ERROR] Failed to Retrieve the Version Information for the utilty C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avr-ar.exe with arguments --version

aI'm ssuming that path not foiunbd means it's looking for a folder location that doesn't exist
mr_coops
Checking C:\ no folder exists I do have a make folder within
C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0

and apologies studio 6 not 7 as istated earlier meh
lizlarsen
Does it compile fine without changing anything?
I am still using AVR Studio 5.0, I haven't messed with 6 yet. Looks like an installation issue. Is there an "import project" option? That might work best, if transferring a project from 5.0 to a new version.
mr_coops
Err, how do I know if it's compiled without changing anything? I've had to import the project into AVR 6 to enable me to see the project structure tree on the right of the AVR windows (I did mention that I'd done this yesterday) , from here I pick the Bitvision C file to edit. I pasted an image code over the top of the first image code.. as you said yesterday anything below that line is an image, and I'm assuming that where there is a code break (blank line) that is a separate image. Pressing F7 returns the errors stated above.

Maybe I should try and track down version 5 of AVR then....
lizlarsen
You should be able to press F7 (to build project) before changing anything.

Here's some direct download links I've found for AVRStudio:
daverj
I don't know anything about the AVR system, but from the list of errors it's clear there are paths to files defined somewhere that don't match existing paths to those files.

If there is a "Make" file, look in it to see if it defines those paths mentioned in the errors.

If the development system has a "preferences" or "settings" or maybe a "project settings" look in there for paths defined that might be the same as shown in the errors.
mr_coops
Ahh so you want me to load up your file and then compile it! I get ya
mr_coops
creatorlars wrote:
You should be able to press F7 (to build project) before changing anything.

Here's some direct download links I've found for AVRStudio:

The link for avr 4 doesn't work lars, I think I've tracked a version down and am downloading now. My connection speed isn't grteat so may take a while... however i did try importing and recompiling trhe original project with no cvhanges, and I still get the error unfortunately.

I'll keep posting my findings smile
lizlarsen
You want AVR Studio 5 if you are following my directions for Bitvision v1.2 (the black PCBs.)
mr_coops
Hi again,
Though I bought the Bitvision recently, the PCB number is not 1.2, I'm sure it's 1.0. At work at moment but will chewck when I'm home. AVR studio 4 doesn't recognise my usb programmer anyway. Gah waah
lizlarsen
Is the PCB black or green? Where did you buy it?
mr_coops
PCB is green and bought from one of the links on your site...wink
Checking paypal I bought it back in May last year and payment sent to you gmail account I believe Lars.
lizlarsen
Oh okay, yeah -- I remember! That's definitely not recently. The black PCB versions have only been out since earlier this year I believe.

Can you try importing the v1.0 code into AVR Studio 5? It should be pretty straightforward. "Import previous version project" or something like that.
mr_coops
I haven't yet got a copy of AVR 5, but think I've found a link....I'll let you know how it goes
lizlarsen
The link I posted above appears to be working fine.
lizlarsen
Okay, I went ahead and updated the v1.0/v1.1 files to AVR Studio 5 project and uploaded them. The programming directions should now be consistent and the same for v1.0 thru v1.2.
mr_coops
I don;t know hat happened on that link last time Lars, but it sent me to blamk page when trying to download studio 5, hence i got 4. Got 5 now, imported your project pressing F7 compikles with no errors, I've changed an image and again no errors. thumbs up

Will let you know how it goes from here
mr_coops
Righteo, I think I'm successfully compiling now..but as it was suggesteI need to get a different one, tried a couple of different drivers but to no avail.
Any suggestions for a UK based supplier for a proggrammer please?
lizlarsen
Try to get an AVRISP Mk2 -- that's what I'm using, it programs directly from AVR Studio. Looks like Farnell carries them in the UK.
mr_coops
OK thanks
but which one..
http://uk.farnell.com/olimex/avr-isp-mk2/prog-avr-stk500-v2-w-isp-pdi- tpi/dp/2144332?Ntt=AVRISP+Mk2
or
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1135517&MER=bay note-1135517-pr

Sorry to be such a pain with this sad banana
lizlarsen
The Atmel one.
mr_coops
Programmer orderd and should arrive today, hopefully it'll all be plain sailing now.
I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for all the help
mr_coops
Right finally managed to make it to the post offi e yesterday to pick up the programmer, missed opening hours all last week very frustrating though that didn't stop me taking the bitvision out gigging twice over the weekend, I'm a VJ and on a no loops to be used mission at the moment.

However I have now successfully loaded up my first image to the bitvision applause

I will hopefully tonight be able to continue my quest. I will hopefully write up my finding s and will load up images here that I've created.

Thanks for all the help guys we're not worthy
mr_coops
hi again,
Time has escaped me as always but I've got some images down and can be found here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/twbad5mfw3awyx1/aiy-6bchEx
fingers crossed tht works , I've not shared on dropbox before.
Basically I've started doing some space invader image3s, it's just taking me a long time to produce and edit them meh

You should also be able to find a paint.net palette file for you to use, just download it and copy it to the psaint.net user file folder should be under my documents
My Documents\Paint.NET User Files

This will then show up in paint.net for you to use.

I'll continue to add things and will hopefully have a full 16 of decent images, though I'm kinda running out of invader inspiration.

I did try to make an archive file to lod up here on the boards but couldn't find a way to do it, probably me being an idiot again.
mr_coops
Thought I'd do a quick video of the palette trim control
Bitvision footage in black and white as that's in Pal.
Trim control
Can anone suggest a way to control that via a pot?

Here's one of some new images
Space invader and some old game icons

Cheers Bitvision for inspiration on what to start with, editing seems to take me forever though :(
lizlarsen
Cool!
The trim control basically adjusts the hue phase shifter for maximum rotation -- adjusting it will limit the color palette to a fewer number of colors. You could replace it with a pot if you wanted.
wcfields
Is there a quick code change to set the images by default to a 2x2 instead of the 6x6?
mr_coops
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking to reprogram my Bitvision again. however I have had issues.
I've downloaded the .zip files from here
Bitvision info
The .swf files within either of the zip files do not run. Ive tried to open them direct from the bitvision.html file and also directly opening the .swf file from within my web browser.

any thoughts guys?

Thanks
analog_alchemist
hello! i know this thread is old but i hoping that someone will see this.

after building the bitvision i installed all the necessary programs to import my own palettes and images but after testing the build it seems that ive made an error in the process, this error might have stemmed from wrong paths and directory errors.
this is the error message i received after f7'ing the project, both when no changes are made to the code and with new palette/image codes inputted;

Build started.
Project "bitvision.cproj" (Compile target(s)):
Target "Compile" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.1\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "\\BMO\Users\analog
_alchemist\Downloads\bitvision_dev_1.2\bitvision\bitvision.cproj" (entry point):
Task "RunCompilerTask"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.1\make\make.exe "../../../../../../bmo/Users/analog_alchemist/Downloads/bitvision_dev_ 1.2/bitvision/bitvision.o"
make: *** No rule to make target `../../../../../../bmo/Users/analog_alchemist/Downloads/bitvision_dev_ 1.2/bitvision/bitvision.o'. Stop.
Done executing task "RunCompilerTask" -- FAILED.
Done building target "Compile" in project "bitvision.cproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "bitvision.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

im hoping that this thread is not totally dead and that this error can be fixed.
CalvaryBand

I recently put together a BitVision and I really really like it. Here is a music video of it along with a couple of Panasonic video mixers.
blabberbytes
So I been playing around with my Bitvision 1.2 kit that i built the other day and I think it stopped working after i tried to change some colors on the palette. Or maybe it decided to not work because of my bad soldering?!? lol

Anyways I was having trouble getting AVR studio recognizing my programmer for the longest time. Eventually moved to an older WIN 7 with USB 2.0 laptop and I was able to get the USBTiny Drivers to work by using the libusb-win32(the latest i think). The computer recognized the Pocket AVR Programmer

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pocket-avr-programmer-hookup-guid e/installing-drivers

now but AVR studio 5 still didnt. So I ended up following this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5P79IzcyE

Using a USBTiny Programmer with Atmel Studio
where I had to download AVRdude and set up an external Device. Im still not sure how to “build” as I have pressed f7 and nothing happens but, when I loaded up the external device, I noticed that the LEDs on the Bitvision were not on anymore. When I plugged it into the CRT no more video. :frowning:

I used the source code from this link:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/lzxindustries/bitvision/

When I downloaded it it was titled “1.0” so maybe I just need the 1.2 version and It will work again? Or maybe I just suck at soldering and it decided to stop working? Everytime I try to load the new code though, the two LEDs Blink, but thats all I can get from it now. HAAALP!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 3