MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sheet Metal (aluminium) UK
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Sheet Metal (aluminium) UK
neilbaldwin
Just thought I'd share a link to a place I bought some sheet aluminium for making brackets etc.

Bought some from this place: http://metaloffcuts.co.uk/

You can order plain sheet aluminium down to 0.5mm thickness in a 100mm x 100mm sheet for £2.54 (plus shipping)

They do quite a range of other materials too.

Reasonable prices and pretty quick service thumbs up (UK based)
frequencycentral
Nice link. I wonder if they would do Euro size panels?
neilbaldwin
frequencycentral wrote:
Nice link. I wonder if they would do Euro size panels?

It does say on the site to call for other custom sizes. On the invoice I received it also mentioned a hole pressing and folding service. Probably worth a call to see what they'll be able to do. And at what price of course
Monobass
cool

I recently bought one of these to use with my hand drill - £30

and did a good job drilling holes for a DIY panel, it was a 50p bit of perspex cut in a plastic shop in Brighton smile

you have to be careful marking out, but easier in metal as at least you can use a punch to mark the holes first.

the jacks are on perfboard too, so that gives you an idea of the accuracy you can achieve.
neilbaldwin
Ha ha, I just got a vertical drill stand too! lol

Looks like a nice job on that panel thumbs up
Monobass
I honestly thought it would be shit but it seemed cheap enough to chance, you can't be as cavalier as you can with a proper pillar drill, but it's fine smile
neilbaldwin
I felt quite manly putting it together - difficult to resist the temptation to just drill loads of holes in stuff lol
Neutron7
a drill press, even a cheap one, is one of the most useful tools of all.
iopop
neilbaldwin: Great find, seems like reasonable prices, those suckers doesn't seem to recognise Sweden as a part of Europe though.. smile
tIB
Nice find, if you ever want stuff doing Neil I can always tap io the old man... he handy.
magman
I've been using this firm for a few years and they have supplied all of the 3mm MOTM sized blanks for the DIY panels on my synth. I've also bought a few sheets of different sizes of 1mm and 1.2mm for things like mounting brackets, etc.

A couple of things to watch out for though, if you want custom sizes (like I did). This is not specific to Metalofcuts, it would probably apply to any metal supplier like them. The normal cutting method for custom sizes is to guilotine the required size from larger sheets, so there is something like 0.5mm tolerance on all sizes to start off with. For thicker sheets, you are also going to get some radiasing of the edges - which means you will have some filing to do to get a completely square edge (if you are pedantic like me). So you need to allow for this in specifying the sizes for the cut sheets (add a mm or so per edge).

On the more positive side, I have also had some custom metalwork made for me by Metalofcuts. They can take a CAD drawing (Autocad DXF is what I used) to produce bent and punched panels to specification. I got them to make a set of panels for an E&MM Spectrum - which is some 800mm wide - to a quality I never could have approached with my tools at home.

Altogether very satisified with this supplier and would fully recommend them.

Regards

Magman
Lem
Great find Neil!

Maybe we should have a materials sticky? I know I can spend ages looking for certain things...
sdracer77
I've been using this uk company for my mixed panel requirements. they're on ebay and have their own website - http://allmetalparts.co.uk

And if it's not on the website they do make custom panels or sheet metal blanks. very helpful customer service worth a call, very good finish compared to the oversea products

fully recommend them for their service and cost
Lem
Yes I have seen allmetalparts on ebay, free cutting service also I think?

They have got a good range of Ali' products, got my eye on some angle to make up some rack ears!
Paradigm X
Nice, cheers for posting.
JJ
i'd want a deep throat metal punch*. Would be faster and cleaner and less work than drilling... I haven't managed to source one down in Europe for a fair price.. Any suggestions?

(*best tool name invented by man applause )
iopop
^^^

I'm also looking for a metal punch. Need something for my brackets. So tired of having to recharge the batteries for my hand drill every time I just need a few holes. The only thing I've found locally are stuff for leather/Scrapbooking.

Just realized the swedish word might be "handstans" ... the search continues.
rockmanrock
I've been considering using this company - Aluminium Warehouse , they offer laser cut (half mm tolerance) alu sheet in various thicknesses and grades. Two gotchas though, the delivery is 15 quid plus VAT and the shortest dimension they cut (according to the website) is 100mm.
ronski
neilbaldwin wrote:
Just thought I'd share a link to a place I bought some sheet aluminium for making brackets etc.

Bought some from this place: http://metaloffcuts.co.uk/

You can order plain sheet aluminium down to 0.5mm thickness in a 100mm x 100mm sheet for �2.54 (plus shipping)

They do quite a range of other materials too.

Reasonable prices and pretty quick service thumbs up (UK based)

What kind of thickness did you choose for the brackets? I'm really doubting here. Was thinking of 1.5mm, curious what you used smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1