MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

multimix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author multimix
jmalice
Hi there. I'm completely new to synth building etc. so you can probably go ahead and put this straight in the 'stupid question' box, but here goes:

If I understand correctly, would having a multimix module allow me to run audio into my synth and have the oscillators, filters etc. effect the ultimate output? To put it plainly: will this allow me to do obscene things to innocent audio inputs? If the answer to this question is no, then what will?

Just as a quick primer for those who are interested, I'm a composer of contemporary music who is dipping his toe into the wonderful world of live electronic manipulation.
Synthbuilder
jmalice wrote:
would having a multimix module allow me to run audio into my synth and have the oscillators, filters etc. effect the ultimate output?

I think the answer to this is 'no'. The multimix is simply a level control and mixer module. It won't act as an interface to a synth as such. However, it could be used to control the level of an audio signal and it will allow multiple signals to be mixed together.

What synth or synth modules have you got already?

Tony
jmalice
Synthbuilder wrote:

Tony

None at present. As I say, I work primarily with acoustic resources but have recently been pulled towards more electronic fields, thus I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I've been interested in synthesis for a long while and thought now (whilst I have funds) would be as good a time as any to start on my own 'tailor made' synth build. I'm just working through what I'm going to need/want etc.

My second question in light of your helpful answer would then be: do you know of any modules I could purchase to be used as an interface?
Synthbuilder
jmalice wrote:
do you know of any modules I could purchase to be used as an interface?

It all depends on what you want to do. But one way of a processing audio could use the following modules:

EFG - general pre-amp, envelope follower, gate extractor. It's worth reading the User Manual for this one as it does quite a bit.

Ring modulator - can be used so alter volumes of signals as well as allowing new timbres to be made when used in conjunction with a VCO.

VC-LFO - general purpose VCO that can be used as an low frequency oscillator too.

SVF or COTA - basic workhorse filters. Both can be made to self oscillate although the COTA self oscillates in a more controlled manner.

Discontinuity - sound mangler.

Multimix - mixer for audio and CV. Also can behave as a level controller and invertor.

As well as the reading the above modules' User Manuals it's worth a read of the old, but gold, ARP 2600 User Manual:

http://www.guitarfool.com/ARP2600.html

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1