MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Time Machine much needed demos
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Time Machine much needed demos
Kwote
hey everyone, i just realized after all this lusting for the Time Machine i've barely heard one in action.

would any of you be so kind as to post some demos, from traditional sounding delays to more blatant weirdo modulations?

i'm a couple modules shy of completing my first 6u case. pretty fuckin siked!

thanks.
Muff Wiggler
hey, sorry I haven't been able to respond to this post yet

I'd be happy to do some up, but right now I don't know when I'll get the time - very very very busy as you can tell from my lack of forum posts recently

I'm horrendeously overdue on the Frequensteiner demo, and also a Scanner demo

Anyway, I'll get to all of these.....some day lol

sorry

but, there is this nice YouTube video that Stretta made up, showing some of the more non-obvious applications of the TM

tragedybysyntax
tis cool... I honestly dont miss my Time Machine (somehow....lol)

Only because I cv'd my EHX memory man which... pretty much along the same lines in the end. I'd like to build a Tellun agonizer tho.... cv'd spring tank...fuck yah!
Muff Wiggler
hey quick question i've been wondering -

how do you deal with negative CVs when adding vactrol-based CV directly to pots?

i was trying to work it out in my mind, i figure you would hook up two vactrols in parallel, with an inverter before (or after?) one... but I don't think that's enough - is it? I'm not enough of an EE to figure the rest out. A single vactrol on a pot - I understand easily how that's gonna work with a positive zero-to-whatever input, and while it'll add slew and not be precise, it's still awesome to add to something like a memory man. But if you wanted to deal with audio-rate signals, or any AC signal, obviously you'd need to deal with negative voltages.

Or is it a non question? really curious about this

I have sort of always considered the 'vactrol-on-a-pot' approach a very awesome and handy trick to wring some extra functionality out of something like a guitar pedal - but not even in the same ballpark whatsoever as a properly implemented CV circuit (which requires a LOT more than a single opto-coupler). I would be DELIGHTED to be wrong about this.

thanks 8)

------------------------------

edit:

Quote:
i figure you would hook up two vactrols in parallel, with an inverter before (or after?) one

actually, thinking about it now, I'd guess you'd need an inverter both before and after the vactrol

question question
Muff Wiggler
kwote, also please realize the Time Machine can do a LOT - that video is just really showing pitch shifting and Karplus-Strong

You can, as you would expect, do standard echos, although they are warm, fuzzy echos to say the least. you can do dubby echos, you can do pitch shifty echos, speeding up and slowing down echos

you can do flanging and phasing sounds, and you can even get some very cool reverb effects

you can so very very easily do those giant pitch bombs - you can do such huge ones you'll destroy your speakers if you really want

you can also process CVs, which can make things interesting - i like to send a trigger pulse through it and you can get interesting things out of your drums that way

there's a LOT you can do with a fully CV'ed analog delay like the Time Machine, and it's so nice and quiet and well behaved, without ever losing that thick, full warmth of analog delay. It's really a very magical module, you'll notice that the moment you fire it up 8)

at least, that's how I feel about it grin I've never heard anything like it.

Honest truth, if I had to sell my entire system, I would keep the two Time Machines. Just put them aside for some point in the future when I could use them again. I would try to do the same with my 2 Noise Rings and JAGs as well - but if I could only hang onto one, it would be the TM

I'm in no danger of selling my system though, don't worry.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
kwote, also please realize the Time Machine can do a LOT - that video is just really showing pitch shifting and Karplus-Strong

You can, as you would expect, do standard echos, although they are warm, fuzzy echos to say the least. you can do dubby echos, you can do pitch shifty echos, speeding up and slowing down echos

you can do flanging and phasing sounds, and you can even get some very cool reverb effects

you can so very very easily do those giant pitch bombs - you can do such huge ones you'll destroy your speakers if you really want

you can also process CVs, which can make things interesting - i like to send a trigger pulse through it and you can get interesting things out of your drums that way

there's a LOT you can do with a fully CV'ed analog delay like the Time Machine, and it's so nice and quiet and well behaved, without ever losing that thick, full warmth of analog delay. It's really a very magical module, you'll notice that the moment you fire it up 8)

at least, that's how I feel about it grin I've never heard anything like it.

Honest truth, if I had to sell my entire system, I would keep the two Time Machines. Just put them aside for some point in the future when I could use them again. I would try to do the same with my 2 Noise Rings and JAGs as well - but if I could only hang onto one, it would be the TM

I'm in no danger of selling my system though, don't worry.

really appreciate the insight. and stretta's video is cool. definately still wanna see some demos from others including yourself though.

interestingly enough he's got a freq shifter vid too. wasn't even really thinking about that module but it's hard not to now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1iXoLq3IHNA&feature=PlayList&p=001D80C03D70 3A31&index=4
Muff Wiggler
once you start pricing frequency shifters you'lll stop thinking about them so much lol

I'll pick up the Encore one someday though - reasonable enough pricing on that puppy
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
once you start pricing frequency shifters you'lll stop thinking about them so much lol

I'll pick up the Encore one someday though - reasonable enough pricing on that puppy

they still have a Doepfer Freq Shift used at AH, 208 bucks i believe...
Muff Wiggler
I'm bumping this because I remain *extremely* curious about this, having never done the vactrol-on-a-pot thing before.

Luigi, I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm really curious. I'm ready to buy a shitload of vactrols and CV up a pile of pedals and non-cv'd modules, but I need to wrap my head around the AC thing first.

Can you explain? thanks.

tragedybysyntax wrote:
I honestly dont miss my Time Machine .....
Only because I cv'd my EHX memory man which... pretty much along the same lines in the end

Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey quick question i've been wondering -

how do you deal with negative CVs when adding vactrol-based CV directly to pots?

i was trying to work it out in my mind, i figure you would hook up two vactrols in parallel, with an inverter before (or after?) one... but I don't think that's enough - is it? I'm not enough of an EE to figure the rest out. A single vactrol on a pot - I understand easily how that's gonna work with a positive zero-to-whatever input, and while it'll add slew and not be precise, it's still awesome to add to something like a memory man. But if you wanted to deal with audio-rate signals, or any AC signal, obviously you'd need to deal with negative voltages.

Or is it a non question? really curious about this

I have sort of always considered the 'vactrol-on-a-pot' approach a very awesome and handy trick to wring some extra functionality out of something like a guitar pedal - but not even in the same ballpark whatsoever as a properly implemented CV circuit (which requires a LOT more than a single opto-coupler). I would be DELIGHTED to be wrong about this.

thanks 8)

------------------------------

edit:

Quote:
i figure you would hook up two vactrols in parallel, with an inverter before (or after?) one

actually, thinking about it now, I'd guess you'd need an inverter both before and after the vactrol

question question
Chuck E. Jesus
i'm curious about the vactrol thing as well...i'm using the Doepfer Universal Vactrol mod, and it works great, but i'm thinking about adding some VC to my Pro One, and i have no idea how to actually add a vactrol to accomplish this...
consumed
a timemachine demo is here.
Kwote
consumed wrote:

nice. thanks for taking the time to post this.
zerosum
consumed wrote:

:shock: whoa smile
Muff Wiggler
that's a time machine for SURE! hehehe unmistakable

that was a nice demo - covered a lot of the ground of what the TM can do.
J.w.M.
Oh my God. That's really a great-sounding demo/delay
Thanks!!!
felix
Wow, awesome, great range of sounds with that thing!
consumed
thanks! you can really hear the lo-fi-ness of the timemachine with longer delays. this demo is pretty vanilla, not a lot of modulation. at the very beginning, delay is modulated with an envelope, making the delays thwip in and out, like they are almost ducking. then near the end of the demo i was modulating the delay time with an 8-step sequencer. delay modulation is where you really get the whacked out noises, and at high feedback levels and shorter delays, you can use the delay module for physical modeling-type synthesis (i think thats right, cant quite remember, havent explored this much at all).
Kwote
thanks for the verbal breakdowns. the shit was clean. how many modules were involved in this demo and which ones? curious.
consumed
the patch was simple, looked something like this

Code:

lfo (tri) --> pwm in
              motm 300 (pulse) --> vca  --> delay

envelopes modulating the vca and the delay (at first)...then i modulate the delay with an encore ueg.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
the patch was simple, looked something like this

Code:

lfo (tri) --> pwm in
              motm 300 (pulse) --> vca  --> delay

envelopes modulating the vca and the delay (at first)...then i modulate the delay with an encore ueg.

cool. that's really showing the power of the TM then. and i guess not really as you say it was vanilla and all.

anyways, do you have a downloadable version of this? i'd like to archive it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1