MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 173, 174, 175  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
Thundersack88
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mckenic wrote:
hihi

LAST thing i want is "conventional synth sounds and acoustic emulations."

Seriously... who the hell looks at an analog synth in 2012 and goes "Oh man this is going to produce some of those killer viola and flute sounds ive been after!"
mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I think acoustic emulations could be cut from that quote - do not want conventional synth sounds!
pulse_divider
triangletooth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jbartee wrote:
It's a really obnoxious portion of the article tbh.

He opens with: "The world cries out for 24dB/octave filters that have the M-word at the front of them."

He goes on to list ARP 4012 / 4075, SSM and CEM filters as all being better choices than the Steiner.

Then he explicitly states that the Synthacon is only held in high regard because it's rare, and that the reason it didn't sell well is precisely because of its filter that can't produce (direct quote) "conventional synth sounds and acoustic emulations."

I dunno, the dude's clearly coming at this thing from a very different angle than I am. In any case he doesn't seem to think it's that big of a deal ultimately, since he still predicts it's going to sell boat loads.

I haven't read the full article, just the teaser on the SOS site.
But in fairness to the reviewer, in the context of possible sales numbers he's likely correct... a more famous filter topology would probably sell more synths for Arturia. Just the fact that the general public (Ebay anyone?) uses the term "Moog filter" to describe just about any 24db LPF shows how uninformed people can be.
Whether or not you like Gordon Reid, he certainly is pretty well informed on this stuff and not some clueless noob. I'm sure he has experience with all the filters he mentions.
numbertalk
Hunnert Buck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, agree with him or not, Gordon Reid is a veteran.
MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The filter was probably the least of it that made me want to get it. Personally, I love that there's an oscillator mixer and that each wave shape has its own dedicated waveshaper control (PWM, super saw, wave folder). That's the type of synth voice that I regularly patch up with my modular, so it's great to see it in one package. It's like they read my mind.

You could have swapped in any number of filters in the minibrute and I still would have gotten it based on the voice architecture.

suitandtieguy wrote:
STG IS ALL ABOUT THE PLUR.
jbartee
special stage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure I agree that the filter choice is going to hurt Arturia in the marketplace. I think the target demographic could give a crap about filter architecture really, and if they're drinking the Moog-aid then they're not going to be converted by a moog knock-off anyway. The aggressive character of the Steiner might actually appeal more to the young blood than classic 24/dB. Will be interesting to see.

Anyway Reid does a good job covering the synth and actually seems to quite like it in the end. The filter discussion is obnoxious because it just feels like an arbitrary aesthetic judgement. It's fine and even helpful to point out that this isn't going to give you cream like a moog LPF does, but the article editorializes in a way that makes me feel like the point is being missed a little.
Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thundersack88 wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
tbh the Steiner style filter was the tipping point feature, it's something i don't have represented in my rig but wanted...

I personally think this is BS! EVERY synth should have a moog filter! fap fap fap...

i already have an A-108 and a Little Phatty, i'll modify the MB to bypass the filter razz
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How silly of Gordon Reid. He's normally quite an astute reviewer and observer. Now why would Arturia choose to get beaten by Moog at their own game? People will just get a Moog if they want a Moog.

Arturia did right by doing it differently.

Jaspo
Code Head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WTF ... now the ship date is 7/06/2012.
budz
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow... Gordon Reid knows his shit and I have a lot of respect for him, but that is a really weak argument woah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 173, 174, 175  Next [all]
Page 59 of 175

Jump to: