MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Together we have raised over $1126 for homeless folks in Ottawa, thank-you so much for your kindness and support! We will announce the Drumdokta winner shortly! There's still a few hours left before we take our donations downtown to buy holiday dinners - if anyone wants to add a donation feel free to send a paypal to [email protected] and while it's too late to win a prize you'll still feel good and your donation amount will be added to the group announcement tomorrow. Thanks!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Harder bass kick volca beats or tr-606?
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Harder bass kick volca beats or tr-606?
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Harder bass kick volca beats or tr-606? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can anyone tell which one has a stronger kick (unprocessed)? It's hard to tell through YouTube videos.

Anyone tried both?
sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both are very different. However, the Volca bass wins here I think. Those 606 hats and snare are special though.
rekem1000
I shall be Neu! Orbison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Volca by a mile.
tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

volca
StoneLaw
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

plain 606 kick is like a clicky metrenome. a modded 606 can have a huge bassy kick BOOOM

EDIT: although even a modded 606 is 808ish, which may or not be 'strong' depending on your opinion.
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks all! You mean the volca BEATS right? It's the kick drum between the volca beats and tr-606 that I'm trying to find out about. But I am gathering here that the volca beats kick trumps the 606 kick.

sydilaxe wrote:
Both are very different. However, the Volca bass wins here I think. Those 606 hats and snare are special though.
KrisM
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, if this was a certain other forum, people would be trying to shout down the Volca as new trash while espousing the virtues of the 606 Dead Banana
minphase
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Volca beats bass drum is great; snare and hats are poor, snare sounds like a clipped sample to me (I know it's not -- it just sounds like one). Motion sequence capture is very cool.

On the whole, I'd rather have a 606, though. The Chewbacca Defense

FS/FT: Erica Acidbox, Mackie UCPro, CZ1
meatcliff
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the volca covers some ground that I wished the 606 could cover (without modding)... especially with that kick. If you can come up with enough money to make the 606 even be an option, might as well throw down the extra hundred for a used volca. would make a great pair!
booksy
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll echo others here in saying that when it comes to just the kick the Volca might have the leg up. Having said that I think even the unmodded 606 kick is highly underrated - sure it's not going to do some boomy 808 sub bass, but with some eq or subtle effects it's very musical and useful.

On the whole I far prefer the 606, such a simple but great drum machine.
IR
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

minphase wrote:
Volca beats bass drum is great; snare and hats are poor, snare sounds like a clipped sample to me (I know it's not -- it just sounds like one). Motion sequence capture is very cool.

On the whole, I'd rather have a 606, though. The Chewbacca Defense

You think the hi hats are that bad? I haven't personally played with the Volca Beats, but the hi hats in the demos don't sound that bad. Of course not as good as the 606 hats, but not bad sounding.
negativspace
Manhattan Analog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 606 is my favorite drum box of all time... even though the kick is horrible weaksauce. If you're after a kick drum, look elsewhere. (Or mod your 606. That does wonders.)

But really, why don't we dream more music?
darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have both, Volca wins on toms, 606 for hats, snare and cymbal.

I like both machines kick, the Volca for boomy long decay, but the 606 can punch through a mix nice, the main thing to do is make sure it is accented and loud enough in relation to the other sounds, as stock the kick is a bit low in the mix if you set all the levels of each sound over about 60% the kick needs to be at or near max to stand out.

http://twitter.com/daren_ager
My Monotribe ModsBlog
"If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo." - Bruce Lee
IR
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe having a separate out for the kick on a 606 could help it sound better?
darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes indeed, and I also noticed that some 606 sound 'poppy' whereas others sound more solid, I used to get asked if mine was modded, it isn't but I had 3 and kept the best one.

There are tons of simple mods for the 606 though.

http://twitter.com/daren_ager
My Monotribe ModsBlog
"If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo." - Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: