MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
So I picked up a Virus Indigo 2 today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author So I picked up a Virus Indigo 2 today...
stellvia
Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: So I picked up a Virus Indigo 2 today... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Popped into the pawn shop that I used to work in, (part time while studying for the last few years) to say hi and see if there was anything interesting. There was, a Virus Indigo 2 in pretty decent condition and a pretty decent price. w00t

I've never really had the opportunity to try a Virus or an inclination (or budget) to buy one, but its on the list of synths I'd like to try if the opportunity arose. So, the price was good (I still get a really good discount there!) and I traded in some bits and pieces to offset the cost so it cost me around $500 to buy, which I think is a decent price for an Indigo 2 in decent condition.

It's only got a few scratches, nothing major, everything else seems to work fine. The only possible issue is that the LCD is a bit dim, may have to replace that at some point.

Thought I'd give it ago for a while and see how I like it. Might get hold of a few the sound banks from Access and have a play around. Would like to use it in my prog rock band for pads and SFX type sounds (which coincidentally Richard Barbieri from Porcupine Tree uses the same Virus).

Any thoughts about this synth from anyone? hihi

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought one an Indigo 2 a couple months ago. It's a really nice sounding synth in a lovely package thumbs up

a sun spinning backwards lp/cd/digital | soundcloud | antisound.net
KrisM
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

$500 for an Indigo 2, even after trade ins... you son of a.... lucky bastard grin lol...
monads
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Was it the Redback version??? I've had mine since it came out. Love this synth.
stellvia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, just the regular Indigo 2 silver version. Still quite nice looking!

Had a good play around this evening, seems to be working fine. Only a couple of small niggles -> the LCD backlight flickers a bit, will probably need to replace it, and I can't find the Oscillator 3 Mode page, it doesn't appear on the Oscillator section edit page where it should be (according to the manual) but all the other parameters are there. From what I can hear Osc3 seems to be set on Slave mode to Osc2, but I don't seem to have the Mode page to be able to change that. Rather odd, especially as it appears in the manual (Virus running OS6.5). Not a big deal, but a bit of a head scratcher as I was getting my head around the oscillator section. hmmm.....

The synth definitely has a very 'strong' sound to it, especially for a VA, found a few cool sounds, but most of the preset stuff isn't to my taste, so I better get learning how to program this thing hihi

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The backlights are apparently notoriously bad. Guy I bought mine off actually "forgot" to tell me mine is low/flickery too, which put a bit of a downer on it for me but whatevs. You have to replace the entire screen and it's hard to find, I managed to track the part down to some supplier in Poland, I'll have to dig the link up again.

It's definitely a great sounding synth, can get nice and grimy.

a sun spinning backwards lp/cd/digital | soundcloud | antisound.net
fisherking111
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Modulating the wavetables in it and the mix between the oscillators is a lot of fun...

Aether Tracks

Remixes
stellvia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the tip!

Finally got access to the Virus website the other day and reinstalled the OS and default banks. Also tried out one of the rock orientated patch banks. I'm very impressed by the quality and complexity/variety of sounds coming out of this synth applause

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: