Wiard Noisering vs Harvestman Zorlon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Wiard Noisering vs Harvestman Zorlon

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Okay so... I'm sitting on 300 bucks to spend on a module and here is the deal... I know the noisering is about to be done, at the same time.... I love the pitched noise aspect of the Harvestman Zorlon cannon as well. It's a tough decision..... wait a month for a noisering or get a zorlon next week, lol.

any suggestions?

I need to find more clips of noiserings i think than what i've found prolly to prove a justice

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:37 pm

yeah i know what you mean. the noisering vids on youtube haven't really captured my attention but the soundclips for it on wiard's site are pretty effin sweet.

you can't directly access the link now though, but....

http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/Noise_Ring.html

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:17 pm

i thought the wiard clips were pretty weak but there's some dude on modularsynth.net who had some AWESOME ones. Don't remember who it was but one of the demos was called 'twisty'

amazing module, i would NOT be without my two

John Nonjohn
Guru

Re: Wiard Noisering vs Harvestman Zorlon

Post by John Nonjohn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 am

tragedybysyntax wrote:Okay so... I'm sitting on 300 bucks to spend on a module and here is the deal...
I'm sitting on a $300 chair and only wish I had $300 to spend!
"He who controls the spice controls the universe!"

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:22 am

Muff Wiggler wrote:i thought the wiard clips were pretty weak but there's some dude on modularsynth.net who had some AWESOME ones. Don't remember who it was but one of the demos was called 'twisty'

amazing module, i would NOT be without my two
yeah that was J3RK. unfortunately when i found those files the links were dead. perhaps someone could track J3RK down and have him repost em. or someone with a Noisering could do a proper demo. ahem ahem. hahaha.

but yeah i thought the clips were cool, atleast in comparison to the youtube videos i've found where almost next to nothing is happening.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:38 pm

the noisering is really interesting as a semi-random cv generator, basically. it also puts out some great noise, and when controlling a VCO it sounds really blippy like an old-school 8-bit video game. sometimes the NR is my master clock for strange patches. the only thing i wish it would do is slave to an incoming clock. i dont consider this a very significant disadvantage though.

using a noisering into one JAG input is great.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 pm

combining 2 NR's with a JAG is probably the coolest single/simple move I can make in my system - instantly gives me 10 different, random outputs. Insane

Anyway, believe it or not I actually found J3RK's demos on my old laptop - Twisty and Slowspace. I've PM'ed him on Modular Synth.NET to ask permission to post them here, will let you guys know

cheers

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 am

hey it took a little while for him to get back to me, but I got permission from J3RK to post his Noise Ring demos here for you guys

(thanks J3RK!)

https://www.muffwiggler.com/Twisty.mp3

https://www.muffwiggler.com/Slowspace.mp3

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 pm

consumed wrote:the only thing i wish it would do is slave to an incoming clock. i dont consider this a very significant disadvantage though.
Hm, I've had luck syncing my NR by patching clock into the ext rate jack, main clock all the way CCW, ext rate jack fully CW, careful, careful adjustment of chance and change. It will sometimes double trigger mid note, but I consider this a feature :)

I know there are multiple versions of the NR. Do some of them not have the ext rate knob and jack?

Paul

consumed

Post by consumed » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:42 pm

im only aware of the 6- and 8-jack versions of the noisering (the old 6-jack on the wiard page has ext rate). was there an even earlier version?

interesting note on that NR patch plord, thanks! ill have to try it.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 am

JERK PM'ed me with a couple more Noise Ring demos.. "just in case"! And he gave me the OK to link them here. Enjoy folks 8)
J3RK wrote:I tossed a few other ones up for you just in case. They're here:

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/216-NoiseRingCV.mp3

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/217 ... seRing.mp3

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/218 ... Noodle.mp3

The first two are the Noisering and Miniwave for the most part. I can't remember what I used for the last one.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Noise vs. Noise

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:51 am

According to everything I have heard about the NoiseRing (despite the uninspiring YouTube video demos of it) I am sure it is a fantastic module.
It is on my wishlist.

I noticed not much has been said about the Zorlon Canon on this thread.
I might consider it too if I ever get into Eurorack.
Does anyone have experience with this one?
The YouTube demo for the Zorlon is fantastic!

Now I have a Blacet Improbabilty Drive and a CGS Digital Noise.
Both are fantastic and offer very different flavours of noise. It is really nice to have so many noise options in my currently tiny system (8 finished modules + 4 more kits to go).
I love the noise.
By the way, do any of you guys from SF like pancakes and waffles?

The CGS offers: 2 digitals, 1 white, & 1 pink with clock out and rate nob, there is also cv control of rate for pitched noise!

The Improb. Drive has: 1 white (alot brighter than that of the CGS), and 1 digital (very different from CGS). It also includes Sample and Hold, Quantized out (very useful for random melody), dig./white Mix out, + a LP/BP filter AND a built in window comparator!

I also finished assembling the standalone Blacet Window Comparator recently. It is a VERY useful module; much moreso than I had expected.
It can also create some brutal noise via control and processing applications. It is very inexpensive and highly recommended to anyone using Frac.

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm

I think no one's said anything about the zorlon as none of the small contingent of euroguys on the forum here has one yet ;) I plan on ordering mine once the good ol' tax return shows up.

While you've no doubt made the same comparisons for yourself, I'll just reiterate over the differences that I see.

The noise ring seems to be primarily a "random" voltage generator, but with controls specifically for how much/often a change is imparted on the signal ("Chance"). I can't really tell from the product page, but it looks like the Clock Out outputs a regular, and not random, clock signal. I could be wrong there.

The Zorlon on the other hand outputs 4 independent "pseudo-random" clock signals; with the amount of randomness/change being controlled globally for all 4 by the Periocity control (basically a seed number for the random generator). *IF* the the Noise Ring's clock output is random, then that part is very similar to the one half of the Zorlon.

The other half of the Zorlon is 4 parallel and independent pitched noise ouputs (which the global pitch of all controlled by a single Frequency control). Basically each of those outputs has a different bit-depth noise source with some bit-shaping options (one mode of one of the outputs, I forget which, outputs a square wave). These of course, could be used as modulation sources, but they are primarily tone sources.

Overall, to me the Zorlon seems to be designed to be more like a "noise sequencer" especially when paired with some kind of bipolar mixer like Scott did in his demo video. The Noise Ring on the other hand seems to be like a more sophisticated random voltage generator.

Hopefully that is helpful.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 pm

ok.......... jeeze now i think I need a noise ring :hyper:

can anyone comment on noise ring / dark star chaos comparisons?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:44 am

I would wager that there isn't a lot of feedback on the Zorlon since this post is in the Wiard sub-forum. :doh:

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:53 am

If you are into DIY, i'd recommend having a look at Thomas Henry's SN-voice module. It's based on the same chip that's in the Dark Star Chaos (the SN-76477n), but Thomas' circuit is like the Dark Star in hyperspace. You can still get the IC from Arcade Chips, & the pcb's are linked to Henry's site.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:26 am

I just got two of those PCBs recently. I'm gonna cobble 'em together for Euro format.

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 am

Great! Did you have any problems sourcing the SN chips? Thomas Henry is a pretty amazing dude. His books are very high on my list of things to get!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am

Roycie Roller wrote:Great! Did you have any problems sourcing the SN chips? Thomas Henry is a pretty amazing dude. His books are very high on my list of things to get!
PCBs are in the house. Gotta get the rest of the components. The SN76477n (or SN76477 for that matter) are still relatively easy to source, actually.

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am

Thats its... You have finally gone and done it... I NEED a miniwave and a noise ring...

FUCK! :fu:

:bang:

consumed

Post by consumed » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:19 am

lol @ thread revival

ive got a nearly fully built SN-voice board sitting around for months now.
incidentally, i have an extra SN chip with a socket (wide body).
i may sell this when i finish my SN voice...but i got my SN chips at arcadechips.com
im waiting for bridechamber to roll out the motm panel and the module is ON.

edit: CHECK this DIY sn out---

Last edited by consumed on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 am

Kent wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:Great! Did you have any problems sourcing the SN chips? Thomas Henry is a pretty amazing dude. His books are very high on my list of things to get!
PCBs are in the house. Gotta get the rest of the components. The SN76477n (or SN76477 for that matter) are still relatively easy to source, actually.
links? i've been reading about the darkstar recently and while i'm still pretty sure i don't want one the thought of getting a similar DIY together sounds real fun.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:26 am

One cool thing about the mini-wave is that you can load up more eproms with 3rd party designs or make em yourself with the Wave256 software.
Does anyone know if theres much of a difference in pcb size between the Waveform City & Mini-Wave? The most i've heard of is 9 eproms in a Waveform City, giving approx 2,300 waves.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 am

http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info ... ucts_id=53

is this acceptable? why wide body over narrow?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am

I can't get over how awesome the miniwave sounds with noise ring controlling it... Well... I think I kn ow where my next free paycheck is going...

:doh:

There! Are you frac fuckers happy now???
Last edited by D/A A/D on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”