MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
[Old version] "Waverider" - Electric Druid VCDO
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author [Old version] "Waverider" - Electric Druid VCDO
frequencycentral
Kicking the shit out of your speakers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: [Old version] "Waverider" - Electric Druid VCDO Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EDIT 15th June 2013

New version of Waverider now available with fabbed PCBs and panels:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84728

Here we are! Waverider is ready to go! Tom is fully loaded with programmed PICs, of which I will be ordering a substantial amount shortly.

Tom has a draft PDF on his website right now (see page 8 of this thread).

Preliminary build doc, I'll probably flesh it out with a few photos...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/967492/ED%20VCDO/Waverider%20Build%20Doc.pdf

______________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Original OP for posterity:

I've been messing around a lot with the Electric Druid VCLFO recently (well actually the TAPLFO2) see 'the other thread': http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49661 It's a superb VCLFO and a huge bang for the buck compared to building a similarly spec'd analogue (would be a huge circuit) VCLFO.

It's got me thinking, what a great feature set it has, loadsa waveforms, CV input for frequency, Cv input for waveform, CV input for PWM, oscillator sync input. Wouldn't it be nice to attempt an audio oscillator version? Surely it shouldn't be too difficult to tweak the coding a little and make it run at audio frequencies......then if it could be coaxed to operate at 1v/oct it would be a superb digital VCO....

So, being the glutten for punishment that I am, I'm about to pull the trigger for a PIC programmer and a bunch of blank PICs....

I know some will look down their noses at a digital VCO, but.......it would be a really easy build as all the work would be in the coding, it would be a quick and easy way to increase your VCO count too. Might not be your only VCOs, but run alongside some regular analogue VCOs? And the fat subtle 'drift' we all love in analogue could be patched in with some really gentle, slow LFO modulation.

Tell me I'm insane!

Last edited by frequencycentral on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 am; edited 15 times in total
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm all about digital VCOs, love em.
However, this:
Quote:
Using an external crystal with the PIC allows the chip to run at its maximum clock speed of 20MHz, and this means that the PWM module is able to produce a 19.5KHz sample rate at 10-bit accuracy.

whilst ok for an LFO is likely to be not very hifi in audio range, I think?

a sun spinning backwards lp/cd/digital | soundcloud | antisound.net
brother303
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi,

stk wrote:

Same here. Love my Piston Honda,Hertz and Tabula Rasa. thumbs up

stk wrote:

Hm,could be even more nasty (translate -> interesting) combined with a bit reducer/shaper or some Plague Bearer-like stuff...

hmmm.....

Cheers
Greg

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds very interesting. I would likely purchase one.

Reminds me a bit of the hertz donut with the waveform distortion thing. I wonder if the sync could be made to work like the donut, where there is selectable slower "tracking" between the oscillators.

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPalebluedot

Last edited by Rod Serling Fan Club on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds interesting!
samuraipizzacat29
adadadadadadadsr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anything unique is for me nanners

Stuff for sale at site:
www.paperproductsmusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paper-Products-Music/303689719748431?ref =hl
wmonk
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

stk wrote:
However, this:
Quote:
Using an external crystal with the PIC allows the chip to run at its maximum clock speed of 20MHz, and this means that the PWM module is able to produce a 19.5KHz sample rate at 10-bit accuracy.

But there are a lot of interface pins on PICs, so you could use an external DAC. cool

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Atmel AVR series seems a bit more powerful, (at least in general.) I know there are some PICs that are pretty powerful (like the ones in the e350, but those have some DSP functions.)

General purpose uControllers should be enough to do some phase accumulation oscillators like in the SID chip, which would also lend themselves well to wavetable applications. (which I guess is more or less what a PA Oscillator is anyway) Probably not powerful enough to do really effective aliasing correction, but that may not be important anyway.

I've got a bunch of AVR dev kits (Dragon, and AtMega,) and have been waiting for some magical extra time to present itself to start tinkering with something like this. However, after seeing the Cylonix Cyclebox using the eval boards for the Cyclone CPLD, this has started intriguing me a bit more than using the Atmel stuff. A bit more expensive, but a lot more powerful.

Electric Druid
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With a bit of prodding from FrequencyCentral, and a good amount of help and feedback too, I've been developing a prototype digital oscillator based on the PIC 16F1847.

http://www.electricdruid.net/images/VCDO.mov

(24MB file)

It's got 16 main oscillator waveforms arranged as a wavetable. There's a Wave CV input for scanning through the wavetable. Intermediate waveforms/points are interpolated to give a 256-entry wavetable.

There's a fine tune control (+/-1 semitone) and a frequency modulation CV input (+/-8 semitones).

Since the video was done, I've added a suboscillator with 8 waveshapes, all available either -1 octave or -2 octaves. Four waveforms are shared with the main osc. The other four are sub-osc only.

It also has portamento/glide. It's a constant-rate glide, so it takes longer to do an octave than a semitone. If that isn't right for you, sorry. There are some limitations!

The output is 8-bit at 125KHz, so the audio quality isn't bad. If you want it bad, it has a "Bitcrush" control that goes from 8-bit down to 1-bit to reduce everything to utter mush!

I'll probably post more on this soon, but I'd be interested to hear people's ideas or feedback on what I've got so far.

Thanks,
Tom
roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

awesome!!!1

on board portamento and sub oscillator sounds dope...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Page 1 of 35

Jump to: