MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

pucktronix.snake.corral - computer-controlled 8 x 8 matrix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author pucktronix.snake.corral - computer-controlled 8 x 8 matrix
surgesg
Something new I've been working on...

pucktronix.snake.corral is a computer-controlled dual 8 x 8 analog signal routing matrix. Two independent matrices are presented, each with 8 inputs and 8 outputs. Within each matrix, any input (or summed combination of inputs) can be routed to any output. The device can switch and route any type of analog signal within the range of +/- 5V. The main electronic components of the pucktronix.snake.corral are a Teensy 2.0 and a pair of Zarlink MT8816 analog switching matrix ICs. The MT8816 is a bidirectional 8 x 16 matrix with minimal signal bleed. Like the USB-Octomod, the pucktronix.snake.corral is powered from the USB bus.

A Max/MSP patch which allows the user to define and switch between presets and/or apply various algorithmic rhythmic effects to the switching
matrices has also been developed.

Using the pucktronix.snake.corral, a modest number of synthesis modules can be used to create interesting rhythmic and timbral variety. The ability to rapidly switch or reconfigure a large number of signal connections enables a level of rhythmic complexity which is difficult to obtain through other means. Sharp cuts between disparate types of musical material are made possible, and patches can be stored and quickly recalled.

EDIT: List of people interested in PCBs as of 2/4/2012:
regenbot
thermionicjunky
veqtor
gwaidan
neutron7
goiks
decaying.sine
oljud
asterisk
clarke68
carynrich
beautyofdecay_
nickciontea
raisinbag
arthurgrimley
dan_k x 2
abfackeln
swordsect x2
smrl x 2

EDIT: 1st batch of PCBs shipped from manufacturer - 2/19/12

lordofthebored
did you just say preset manager for modular synthesizers?
thermionicjunky
I'm interested.
asterisk
hell yeah greg, great idea!
if you make some PCBs for this, sign me up!
surgesg
Here's the PCB (untested, but hopefully final)...

Veqtor
Great idea, i'll be down for one. So usb control, serial?

Maybe easy to do max4live device where patterns on a track recall different matrix routings or bind routings to midi notes.
surgesg
It's serial over USB, using a Teensy chip.
Veqtor
sounds cool, panel has what, 32 jacks?
what happens if you overload the ins?
surgesg
yes, 32 jacks.

the zeners will soft-clip anything over +/- 5V to protect the chips
asterisk
32 jacks. wow!

would it be possible to wire up LEDs on this?
itd be great to have LEDs mirror the on/off activity in the max/msp matrix patch.

let us know when PCBs are ready, id love to get one.
regenbot
wow, great project. Highly interested applause
Veqtor
Definitively down for a pcb!
microfauna
Couple of questions:

1) Can the Max/MSP patch be run as stand alone app or do you have to have Max/MSP installed?

2) Can the presets be switched via MIDI (notes, CCs)? e.g. running alongside Live for automation
gwaidan
Very cool! Interested in a PCB.
stk
Very cool.
Would also be interested in microfauna's points. Not a Max user myself but do a bit of MIDI hacking.
Neutron7
May I ask how you found this IC? i have been looking for something like that for ages! (and where can you buy them)

microfauna wrote:
Couple of questions:

1) Can the Max/MSP patch be run as stand alone app or do you have to have Max/MSP installed?

2) Can the presets be switched via MIDI (notes, CCs)? e.g. running alongside Live for automation

It looks like it uses an arduino teensy, so you can pretty much do whatever you want. even run standalone, if you added some code and memory (maybe on a different micro controller) which tell this one what to do.

max can recieve MIDI, so you could make that happen, even if it is not in the basic program.

(but i think you need to buy max to edit the code)
clarke68
surgesg wrote:
A Max/MSP patch which allows the user to define and switch between presets and/or apply various algorithmic rhythmic effects to the switching
matrices has also been developed.

Is this/could this be designed to support the monome? Turning a monome into an 8x8 patch matrix for a modular would be really freaking cool.
surgesg
Futurlec has the chips - don't remember how I came across it initially.

My plans are to open-source all of the code, so people can edit / expand on the control patch to make it do whatever they want.

A stand-alone of the patch will obviously be available as well. I would like external control, but I'm not sure if it should come from MIDI, OSC, keystrokes, etc.
oljud
I've dreamt about something like this for a long time, nice!

Does the matrix only open and close or is it like a proper matrix mixer with volume scaling too? I'd probably be up for one either way. Any info on pricing?
Veqtor
Neutron7 wrote:
May I ask how you found this IC? i have been looking for something like that for ages! (and where can you buy them)

Just look for crosspoint switches. There are many different configurations.

Here's analogs line:
http://www.analog.com/en/switchesmultiplexers/analog-crosspoint-switch es/products/index.html
Neutron7
I would buy some of these boards for sure.
goiks
me too.
surgesg
I should be able to do a run in about 2 weeks - have to test the prototype first. Another set of parts is on the way from digikey. Inexpensive project, though the jacks do add up quickly.

@oljud - It's open/closed switches.
surgesg
Speaking of the prototype...

decaying.sine
Nice work. Count me in if you do a run.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8