MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

c'mon Dave Jones, spill it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author c'mon Dave Jones, spill it!
johnnywoods
hihi I know I'm not alone in my overwhelming curiosity over your upcoming modular system... you drop these little hints here and there. I believe there were even some photos at some point of the oscillator at work.

I'm starting this thread as a repository for accumulating any various bits of information that may be available to the public thumbs up
nickciontea
daverj wrote:

All of the input jacks on my video modules are dual purpose inputs. They are stereo 3.5mm jacks. The "tip" is a standard +/-5 volt CV input just like on any Euro audio/CV module. So any Euro module can be plugged into it and the video module sees it as a +/-5 v signal.

The "ring" connection of the stereo jacks accept my 2vp-p (+/-1v) video signals. All of my video modules take video in, and put video out on the ring connection of a stereo jack. So you use a stereo mini cable to patch video from module to module.

So basically you patch with a standard mono mini cable from any Euro module and my module sees it as CV or audio. Patch with a stereo cable from any of my video modules and my module sees it as a video signal.

So there are no separate video and CV inputs. All inputs accept either video or CV, depending on what you patch into the input jack.

The video input pins on the stereo jacks are terminated with 75 ohms, just like standard video. This allows a very high bandwidth, very low noise video signal to be passed between modules. Many of my modules have double outputs, so you can feed their output to two other modules without needing a buffered mult. I will also have a video buffered mult (distribution amp) module for when you want to go to more modules. (or to split signals from modules that only have a single output jack)

The 2v p-p video signal also helps reduce signal to noise by having a larger signal. Plus I have found over the years that a bipolar signal is nicer for mixing and patching because it centers middle gray at ground.

One other thing is that many of my modules have two input jacks for each input, which gives a mixer built into those inputs, allowing two video signals, two CV signals, or one video and one CV to be mixed at the inputs. Not all modules have that, due to size/space issues. But there are a number of them that do. This reduces the number of external mixers needed in the system. And allows easy mixing of video and CV.

My modules only put out video signals. The inputs accept either, but the outputs are video. A small module will be available to convert my 2v p-p video signals into +/-5v signals, but since the +/-5v Euro modules can't handle video rates, the result would be blurry video going out to standard Euro modules.

There will also be a small module to convert both ways between my 2vp-p signals and the LZX 0-1v signals.

daverj wrote:

With my upcoming video synth modules you have the Quad Input Amp modules to feed in multiple cameras or externally locked sources, and the TBC modules to feed in non-genlocked sources. Outputs are through the Output Amp modules. They will come in single and quad versions, with no limit to the number used.

Colorizing in my system happens in encoder based, and non-encoder based colorizer modules, and you can have any number of them you wish. My encoders and colorizer modules are not the system output. They are just processing modules within the system that can be mixed, keyed, switched, or otherwise combined with other modules before finally exiting the system through the Output Amps.

daverj wrote:

One of the modules that I already have done (except the commercial metal faceplates) is the BlackBurst distribution Amp. Blackburst comes in the back from the genlock module and is amplified and then goes out the front to whatever external cameras, TBCs, or other devices that need it.
Matos
Seriously. We are dying to know more. I can't give all my money to Lars and make noise. I love the use of standard voltage. It seems like it would increase the flexibility of my euro babies. Your unbelievable wealth of knowledge is a good indicator of how amazing your system will be.
johnnywoods
found it:

daverj wrote:
I haven't made any YouTube demos of it yet, because it's not going to be available for a while, but here are some screen shots of the "VideOscillator" module I'm developing for my upcoming modular video synth system.

The images were taken with a handheld camera pointed at a video monitor. This oscillator will go up to 6.5Mhz and down to LFO speeds with a single sweep of control voltage (shown in the center two images). It can also create color directly by running at close to the color subcarrier frequency.

All images shown are either the oscillator by itself (going through my Output Amp module to turn it into video), or being modulated with a single Euro VCO running at fairly slow frequencies (60Hz-180Hz).

lizlarsen
Naturally I'm curious too! The LZX and Jones system architectures have vastly different approaches and I think they could be very powerful together (the LZX is at its core an RGB synth, whereas Jones deals with Composite signals -- this means you kind of approach things from a different direction.)

I believe if the Jones VideOscillator was released in a way that allowed jumpered operation in LZX standards that it would sell well and could be released now in advance of the rest of the full Jones system. There are well over 50 LZX system owners now and I think plenty of them would love to see another oscillator design come out. Bipolar (2vpp) output signals, but at LZX termination and on the tip, would work just fine with full integration into an LZX system -- you'd just need a jumper to select output on the tip instead of ring, and 500R rather than 75R output resistor. Same option for the inputs would be good too.

If I were to give my personal "wish list" for Jones stuff, it would be the genlock, RGB processor, input amp, output amp, etc. The RGB processor (as I think Dave has described it) could act as an alternate "color encoder" coming from an LZX system, to create a Composite output that was properly subcarrier genlocked with the rest of the Jones system. Then I'd love to see some really dynamic, playable video sequencing module(s) that really embrace the pros of the Composite format (which, since it allows you to pass color video on one cable, makes it easier to manipulate multiple color sources since you're not dealing with a triple RGB path -- which of course, has its own advantages too.)

Anyway, just some honest thoughts!
nickciontea
I've been saving up money since my new case and layout. All in anticipation of dropping on a second case/system. Doing my best to wait out Dave. Got a bit to go before I am fully funded and ready, but yes. yes yes.

If im not funded I could always sell the Q$$G
daverj
w00t w00t

LOL, Well I'm glad to see there's some interest.

I'm trying to avoid giving out too many details ahead of their releases in case details change by the time they come out. But I guess a number of the modules have been pretty much locked down at this point so I'll start preparing some details to give out.

There's quite a large number of modules under development, and I can't afford to finish and release everything at one time. I am trying to push a certain group of modules toward completion at around the same time to be the initial releases. And then a few more to be released shortly after that, with the rest of them coming out after those, over the course of the year.

The VideOscillator is going to be in the initial group of modules. It's a hybrid digital/analog oscillator that creates extremely stable locked and drifting oscillations. It has sine, triangle and square wave outputs in both standard Euro (+/-5v) and Jones video (+/-1v) signal levels. It goes from LFO speeds to the top end of video rates (7Mhz), and can do it with a continuous turning of the frequency knob (an infinite turn encoder knob), or a single sweep of a control voltage. There's a scale control for the frequency CV so that the sweep can cover a much narrower range of frequencies too. There's also a phase CV to shift the oscillator's phase without changing it's frequency.

It has a genlock circuit built in to make it stable relative to the video in the system. It normally gets black burst into the back of the module from the Jones Genlock, but could also be connected to any composite video signal in systems without a Jones Genlock.

It doesn't put out LZX voltages. but there's a simple solution for those that currently have LZX systems. I just got back etched boards for the prototype Jones to/from LZX level converter module. Here's a mockup of the front panel:

Four Jones video/CV inputs to LZX outputs, and four LZX inputs to Jones video outputs. The Jones video inputs are my dual purpose video/CV inputs, so they can accept standard Euro +/-5v on the tip or Jones video on the ring. So this module can be used to convert Jones video or Euro CV into LZX. The Jones outputs are only the Jones +/-1v video signals. My video outputs don't also output +/-5v. Once CV is converted to video levels in my modules, it stays at those levels. The tip is grounded on the outputs (dual outputs would cause problems with the signal flow, unlike the dual inputs where you choose your signal by the type of cable used)

So this can be used to feed my modules into LZX, or feed Euro +/-5 to LZX, and at the same time feed LZX to my modules.

So, there's a teaser for you. More details on other modules, including face plates, coming soon.
lizlarsen
The converter looks great Dave! I like the functional block approach with the module number on top and the longer description vertically.

Does the VideOscillator require the Jones' Genlock, or can it be sync'ed externally with an hsync pulse?
daverj
The VideOscillator has a pair of RCA jacks on the back of the module for loop-thru black burst or composite video in. My Genlock module puts out Black Burst on the back to go to this and other modules. But a composite video signal of any kind could go in there instead.

The 27Mhz internal digital oscillator is genlocked to whatever is fed into those RCA jacks, and the H and V sync is also extracted from that for the H/V/Ext sync switch on the front.

So, no, hsync pulses wouldn't be enough to drive it. But it also doesn't require my Genlock. Just a video reference signal of some kind. Something in sync with the rest of the system. It will run without the reference signal, but it won't sync to the system that way.
nickciontea
so an lzx user might want a 4hp panel with a rca on both sides to take a lzx output behind the panels for syncing?

thanks for sharing Dave!
johnnywoods
also (and apologies if this is covered by the module shown below), a simple way to convert an RGB LZX output into a Jones composite signal (and vice versa) would be excellent. I think it's really important to make the two systems as efficiently compatible as possible. It should be easy enough to share sync between the two systems, so having to decode/encode full color compiste video seems unnecessary.
revmutt
I am pleased to see that there will be from the get go support for those who would be using both systems. I would imagine that there are very few users who wouldn't in fact have some combination.

I hope that there are enough bridges between the two systems that it invites other parties to join in.
nickciontea
revmutt wrote:
I hope that there are enough bridges between the two systems that it invites other parties to join in.

big point there
daverj
johnnywoods wrote:
also (and apologies if this is covered by the module shown below), a simple way to convert an RGB LZX output into a Jones composite signal (and vice versa) would be excellent. I think it's really important to make the two systems as efficiently compatible as possible. It should be easy enough to share sync between the two systems, so having to decode/encode full color compiste video seems unnecessary.

The output of the LZX encoder can go into the genlock input of my Genlock module. The genlock input is also a single channel Input Amp, so the genlock input is converted to my internal video format to go to other modules.

I believe the LZX encoders have free running subcarrier, so you couldn't just feed additional encoders into my system through Input Amps. You'd have to go in through TBCs.

Alternately you could feed R, G, and B as single signals from the LZX through my Jones/LZX converter shown above and then into one of my RGB encoder/colorizer modules. (their subcarrier is in sync with my system)

To get a color image from my system into his would involve going out one of my output amps and into one of his color decoder modules.

The sync outputs his genlock feeds to his other modules are a different set of sync signals than I generate to feed to my modules. So there's no way to directly interconnect those. To mix more than one or two modules between systems is usually going to involve having both genlock modules.
daverj
nickciontea wrote:
so an lzx user might want a 4hp panel with a rca on both sides to take a lzx output behind the panels for syncing?

That would work for the oscillator. There are other modules that need other sync signals, so require my Genlock.
kjellb
I have been testing a couple of the Jones oscillators and use it in my live performances. Since they are test modules they have wooden front panels. The video output can handle extreme frequencies.
bitSmasher
Fantastic thread, I love forum stalking applause
rosso
indeed. I can hardly wait for this!
daverj
Another little teaser:

The latest two prototypes waiting to be tested.

Video distribution amp - basically an active mult for video signals. Three times 1-in 4-out. The third one includes a 5th output with negative video.

Jones <-> LZX level converter - Jones video or Euro +/-5 converted to LZX video, and LZX video converted to Jones video. Four of each.

Both with my usual laser cut wooden panels that I use on prototypes
Matos
Loving it! Wood is good. Does this mean we are closer to seeing your system drop?
laserpalace
The VideOscillator screen shots look amazing! Out of curiosity, will your system feature black text on the standard grey faceplate?
daverj
Matos, there's still work to do on a few important modules, and then getting all the production PCBs made, front panels, etc... It's still going to be a while, but getting closer every day. I figure it's time to start showing what some of the modules are so people get an idea of the system.

laserplace, yes they'll be aluminum colored panels with black markings. I had originally been planning to do black panels with gray scale "organic" shapes on them, like the MVIP, to show the signal flow. But after some feedback and soul searching I decided to go back to the same basic style that I've been using for almost 40 years.
kjellb
Looks good Dave, I guess the DA will mix the internal Jones video and not just straight 1v signals.
lizlarsen
I'll definitely voice my support for the aluminum panels with black overlay and these layouts. Looks great!
laserpalace
Great. I love the prototype layouts, especially the VDA signal flow.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3