MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Random looping 16-step sequences
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Random looping 16-step sequences
Tombola
***UPDATE: Latest details, PCB etc now here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60740

Quite pleased with how this is coming along - inspired by Wiard Noisering / CGS Gated Comparator / Navs Bitsy module

Bricks
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
JP
applause
glitched01
This is exactly what I've been wanting to build, but had no idea how! Highly interested.
Tombola
glitched01 wrote:
This is exactly what I've been wanting to build, but had no idea how! Highly interested.

Will definitely post a schematic. It's quite a fun thing once it gets going - the button programming bit took about 10 minutes to add and is really nice. Also surprisingly easy to add steps - could make it a 32 step sequencer with two extra chips.
regenbot
wow, that looks really great. You have to get into pcb making business with all these great projects you do thumbs up
J3RK
Very cool! I'd love to build one of these. If you like, I'd be happy to lay out a board, and send to you/post the gerbers here at some point. Just have a couple of other things to finish up first.
mckenic
Ooh Err!

Is the button press re-randomizing each time? Is the output quantized because it sounds WICKED!

If you do a kit/ANYTHING with this - PLEASE put me down for one!!!

Great stuff indeed! thumbs up
ATOM
Really cool.

Please make a pcb for this one.

ATOM
pulse_divider
Yeah, this is fantastic. I'd also love a PCB if you make them.
asterisk
nice, i love the blinkin lights
surgesg
really nice - would love to see/hear more
Navs
Bloody. Marvellous. applause

Put me down for a PCB too lol
Tombola
mckenic wrote:
Is the button press re-randomizing each time? Is the output quantized because it sounds WICKED!

The output is going through an A156 a quantiser, but it is a stepped output, doesn't sound that much different without.

How this works:

The shift register is like a ring, 16 steps long. Each step contains a 0 or a 1.

8 of the steps are connected to an 8-bit Digital to Analog converter.

So, imagine the sequence is this:

With the DAC looking at the first 8 bits - it sees 10000000 - which is 128, so it will output a roughly half-scale voltage - about 4 volts.

The clock ticks, the shift register moves on in a loop, with no new data added. It now says:

The DAC 'sees' 01000000 which is 64, quarter scale, about 2 volts.

And so on.

New data gets into the ring in two ways at the moment.

There's a switch to fill it with random bits (provided by a wogglebug burst output at the moment) - leave the switch open, and it just creates a string of random notes. Close the loop, and it stops adding new data, but loops the existing sequence.

The two buttons in the top video let you add zeros and ones to the sequence. The right button adds ones, the left button adds zeros.

I want it to be controllable, but not programmable, if you see what I mean. So you can steer it in a direction, but not sit there tapping in melodies in binary.
Pfurmel
This is deadly, excellent work.
iopop
Great experiment!

Interesting idea to let the shift register have 16 bits but only using 8. When using the external input, you load one bit per clock?
lms.ktp
What a beauty SlayerBadger!
ossi_fx
Oh jeah, can´t wait schematic for this one hyper

Great job!
papercutnoise
Been dying to see a schematic since I first read about this on Nav's. Count me in for a pcb too smile
Isaiah
Good work!

This is similar to a circuit I've been working on for a while.
Mine is a 4-stage Serial In/Parallel Out SR similar to Ken's Gated Comparator, but with the Data input normalled to an in-built noise source.
There is manual and voltage control over looping the binary states held in the 4 stages.
Each stage has a Gate output and a pot to generate CV.
There is a CV output and an output for the noise source.
I also plan to add some other functions to the module, maybe a binary counter, I'm really not sure yet...
FetidEye
very nice! would also like a pcb if happening smile
Monobass
very nice Tom, is this another Arduino/ATMega based project?
Tombola
Monobass wrote:

No, this is proper hardware - a few CMOS chips.

Problem with software is people come over and crash it when you're doing a demo!
neilbaldwin
Yeah, great stuff Tom.

I'm still getting my head around your reverb driver - going to attempt to just build it on strip board as a personal challenge - so I'll wait patiently for a possible PCB of this one. hihi

Slightly off-topic: from a friend on here I know what your 'proper job' is so I was wondering how you ended up with electronics skills? Self-taught? I only ask because I find your stuff inspiring - it's where I'm trying to get to with my DIY, in very small frustrated steps hihi
Monobass
Tombola wrote:
Monobass wrote:

No, this is proper hardware - a few CMOS chips.

Problem with software is people come over and crash it when you're doing a demo!

Heh, don't let Spandex touch it, he'll coax out hitherto hidden magic smoke.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3