MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV from Nord Modular G1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author CV from Nord Modular G1
Umcorps
Just made an interesting discovery.

I was wanting to find a way of using my old Nord Modular G1 to generate CV a la Volta but the audio outputs aren't DC coupled and I didn't really fancy opening it up to perform cap bypass surgery.

I use a MoTU 828 MkII and Logic. Normally I just bring the Nord audio into Logic directly but today I thought I'd try it out using the External Instrument plug-in.

I'm surprised to find that, if I do that, the audio output from the Nord becomes completely useable as a CV. Virtual cap bypass screaming goo yo

So, currently, I've got 3 cross modulated LFOs running on the Nord, driving the filter cutoff frequency on an A-101-1, just because I can.

Amazed. hyper
hbc
Whoa, details please. I don't really follow exactly what you did, but I'd love to use my MicroModular for something like this.
Chuck E. Jesus
hbc wrote:
Whoa, details please. I don't really follow exactly what you did, but I'd love to use my MicroModular for something like this.

+1
Umcorps
hbc wrote:

Well, as long as you have an audio interface that has DC coupled outputs (ie any interface that will work with Volta) and a copy of Logic it's pretty simple.

Just create a software instrument track in the arrange page in Logic - the sort of track you'd use to deploy any of Logic's soft synths or other AU instruments. Click on the instrument insert point and select "External Instrument" from the drop down menu.

That opens a little editor panel where you can specify the midi and audio inputs you want to use - just set these to the ports that your Nord is connected to.

Once you've done that, your Nord will behave in Logic as if it was an internal soft synth or AU instrument. So all you have to do then is to physically patch the audio output the Nord is using to your analogue modular.

And that's it.

Hope that's clear. If it will help I guess I can post some screenshots but I won't be able to do that now until tomorrow.
hbc
Ahh, i get it. The computer is still a part of the party. Maybe it's time for me to try a little of that capacitor surgery you mentioned.
skrasms
hbc wrote:
Ahh, i get it. The computer is still a part of the party. Maybe it's time for me to try a little of that capacitor surgery you mentioned.

Research the converters it uses before shorting the bypass caps. If they aren't specified at DC, the success of your modding is essentially a dice roll. Be sure to try the "metal tweezer shorting" method first.

To the original poster:
I'm still fuzzy about what you're doing, so tell me if this is correct. I'm going to ignore software since it's just routing. You started by trying:

Nord -> Modular

...but that didn't give you DC. Then you tried:

Nord -> MOTU -> Modular

...and you somehow got DC?

I would think the best the MOTU could do would be the equivalent of a nice voltage follower (high input impedance, low output impedance). In that case you could get better low frequency response, but still not DC. I'd be curious how slowly the output drops if you try to hold it at a single voltage.
Umcorps
skrasms wrote:

To the original poster:
I'm still fuzzy about what you're doing, so tell me if this is correct. I'm going to ignore software since it's just routing. You started by trying:

Nord -> Modular

...but that didn't give you DC. Then you tried:

Nord -> MOTU -> Modular

...and you somehow got DC?

No.

The routing is

Nord->Logic via External Instrument plug-in->MoTU->Modular

The bit in green is the crucial part. It's doing more than "just routing". It is, in effect, reprocessing the Nord input.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1