MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pinnacle Prizm DVE Digital Video Effects???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Pinnacle Prizm DVE Digital Video Effects???
giorgio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110738582197

any ideas what this does?

I found some documentation from a similar sounding pinnacle that looks pretty cool here: http://tmeconsult.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pinnacle.pdf

There is one way to find out.... applause
lizlarsen
Looks pretty promising, especially for that price!
deastman
I have to laugh whenever I see people excited about all this old stuff. At my work, we literally threw out many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Abekas boxes, a full DFX system, Sony switchers and edit controllers, BetaSP decks, etc. after fully completing the migration to digital. It would have been nice to save some of that stuff, sell it on eBay, or whatever, but our corporate masters wouldn't hear of it. seriously, i just don't get it
johnnywoods
OMG! That thing is amazing. I'm super jealous. Played with one sometime in the mid 90s. It's a 3d image manipulator. You can program sequences for playback, or use the joystick in realtime. It's not the most intuitive device, but you'll definitely get use out of it. I remember playing around on one for hours at a studio. It's excellent for feedback.
daverj
Good price. Hopefully it includes the cables.
kjellb
I got an Ampex ADO some time back and used it for a few productions. It amazing what the price was and what they go for now. Must be a lot of stuff out there now just waiting to be picked up by artists.
alexwhite
While were on esoteric ebay offerings thought I should mention this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FAIRLIGHT-CVI-BLACK-PAL-Vintage-Video-Synth esizer-Video-Art-VJ-Mixer-Glitch-Art-/270906214055?pt=AU_Electronics_V intage_Electronics&hash=item3f1344c6a7#ht_344wt_417
giorgio
daverj
Actually that's pretty close to typical for a Fairlight that has the optional keyboard. That's about US$1600. They've been going for about $1200-$1500 without the keyboard for a couple of years. The keyboard adds maybe another $250.

Though that is the opening bid price. But then, they probably won't get a lot of bidders anyway.
giorgio
word. just watched that vid & it definitely seems like the CVI does a whole lot of stuff you might otherwise need a ton of gear to accomplish. luckily ebay is filled with cheap old video gear right now smile

now my question for y'all that are more familiar with this gear is: are there competing products to the CMI? I barely understand these digital devices, but it seems as though I would be able to accomplish most of the stuff the CVI can do with a frame buffer, 3D manipulator, and mixer. maybe I'm wrong?
lizlarsen
Yeah, CVI is all frame-buffer type stuff. When the LZX frame buffer comes out, it will be sciptable/reprogammable and the plan is to ship with all the basic CVI effects as default programs. That's still a ways off, but we're a huge step closer now that we've completed the design for Color Video Decoder & Frame Synchronizer, which will share some of the same hardware design.

The CVI is very useful just as a more instrument-focused video device, though -- it's more in the way it's controlled with those sliders that just makes it very immediate and fun to use.
bitSmasher
alexwhite wrote:
While were on esoteric ebay offerings thought I should mention this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FAIRLIGHT-CVI-BLACK-PAL-Vintage-Video-Synth esizer-Video-Art-VJ-Mixer-Glitch-Art-/270906214055?pt=AU_Electronics_V intage_Electronics&hash=item3f1344c6a7#ht_344wt_417
Beat me to it... saw this the other day.

This forum needs a dedicated "OMG look at this on ebay" thread, perhaps this one can be it with a title change.
revmutt
daverj wrote:
Actually that's pretty close to typical for a Fairlight that has the optional keyboard. That's about US$1600. They've been going for about $1200-$1500 without the keyboard for a couple of years. The keyboard adds maybe another $250.

Though that is the opening bid price. But then, they probably won't get a lot of bidders anyway.

I'm still looking for the ASCII keyboard for a Compact version.
daverj
When the Fairlight came out it was the poor man's DVE. It was aimed at cable TV production, artists, large bands, and schools. It was cheap compared to the $60k that the broadcast DVEs cost. (which are now a couple hundred on ebay)
giorgio
it arrived yesterday!. the box was totally fucked cause this gear is 88 lbs. but everything inside seems to be ok, and it boots up and works! i had some signals coming out but I think the sync was off cause the image wasn't aligned properly, it was shifted vertically. now I am not seeing any image so I'm not sure what is going on but I rebooted the thing. I'm probably still a ways away from shooting any clips but as soon as I get anything cool out of it I will take a vid
daverj
If it has a sync or black burst input, try connecting a composite video signal to it. I think the Prizm is new enough to lock to black burst, and not need the individual syncs that old gear needed.
giorgio
I'm not sure it wants to sync to anything right now. my brain isn't syncing to anything right now either so I am gonna put this stuff down and pick up later or tomorrow.

I did have some success using the TBC in my mixer to make sure the video going in to the prizm is sync'd to the prizm's output. this worked, but some kind of odd feedback or ground loop or something causes the colors to totally desaturate when I hook it up like this...

anyway the possibilities with the prizm are gonna be huge. it does all kinds of crazy raster/3d transforms and other stuff. way too much to figure out yet...
giorgio
ok I got it to sync up, instead of the sync in I used a "pass-through" that it has on the back that mentions timing in the manual. I run the signal through there and then into the main input and now the whole thing is in phase smile I had some decent feedback but nothing special, gonna try to get the key input up and running and feed some keyer information from the LZX and video mixer which has a luma keyer as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1