MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Sequencer by Blacet!!!!!!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Sequencer by Blacet!!!!!!!!!
Kwote

"Sneek Peek.....

Advanced 16 Stage Sequential Switch with many extras!

Bidirectional +/-15V low R switches
Microprocessor Control
Backlit LCD Display

Two CVouts with 1V/Oct over five octaves
Variable Gate out on each step with 1-99% of step width plus Hold and Rest
Loop on any step
Internal or external Gate (Stop/Start) and Reset

Set active switch on any step plus Random function
Memory holds 32 Sequences
Sequences can be Chained with 60 Chains available
Chains can be Chained
A second Chain can be edited while another is playing

Sequences or Chains can be copied and pasted

Internal wide range clock or external clock plus dividable Clock Out for either clock source

All settings saved automatically including last active sequence or Chain"

I just about nut all over myself upon witnessing this just now!
Muff Wiggler
oh man, i know. this is so awesome. in fact, this was probably my biggest wish from Blacet. Very very good news.
Kwote
now all we need is a price and a release date so i can start torturing myself further.
J.w.M.
So... you guys have any speculation on the price?

Oh, and I for one love the name-- a nice tribute to the Binary Zone module.
consumed
do you guys have a cached jpg of the image?
its not loading from the blacet site.
Chuck E. Jesus
looks cool! from the info, lots of good ideas in there....
Kwote
consumed wrote:
do you guys have a cached jpg of the image?
its not loading from the blacet site.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JE11V7Z7
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
So... you guys have any speculation on the price?

hard to say. i can't really tell how many frac spaces it is. at first i thought four but now i'm thinking 6 like the Metalbox sequential switch. i think in terms of features vs. the Metalbox they both have some strengths that would motivate me to have both in my future setup. but the Blacet does have more steps, memory, etc.

Metalbox Sequential is $400 so i think the Blacet will reign in somewhere slightly above there. hopefully under 4 though but i totally doubt it.

again.......SUPER FUCKIN STOKED ABOUT THIS.
J.w.M.
Hmmm... Just took that image and pasted some 2 frac space module images over it. Looks to me like it's four frac spaces wide.

I wonder if it'll be available as a kit...
Muff Wiggler
looks like 4 spaces wide for me as well.

I'm SURE it will be available in a kit - all Blacets are and John has mentioned a few times how important it is to him to support the kit building community.

I will speculate $349 as a price, and March 31st as a release date

pure speculation, let's see how well I did when the time comes
J.w.M.
$349... I could dig that. March 31st... I could dig that, too.

The kit part's the best news to me-- this could be really awesome practice in building something with parts not usually seen on modular kits (LCD's, etc). It's great to hear that he's dedicated to supporting the kit-building community.

Anyway, I'm already cooking up plans for a new rack with this bad boy dead center.
Muff Wiggler
it'll be hard to put a 4-space module dead center smile You can do it if you have some half-space modules to put on either side though.

When MOTM pulled the plug on their kit business, John sent an email to the MOTM list saying that some of his 'fondest memories' are building kits on long winter nights, and having them work when they were done. He said that he's dedicated to supporting kit builders, and all Blacet products will always be available as kits, with no plans to change.

From a few talks and emails with him, I get the distinct impression that he prefers selling kits to pre-built modules, and I know he has a lot of respect for the kit builders.

So, no need to worry. It's great to see Blacet continuing to add major functionality to their lineup of modules, again today for the millionth time something's happened that makes me very very happy to have chosen Blacet as the core of my system. Said it many times before, but seriously it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
J.w.M.
I agree-- the more modular-style synthesis I do, that happier I am that I went with Blacet. To think that I was considering dotcom (not that you can't make good music with a less versatile system, just not sounds in the style that I want)... Plus, with a Blacet you can get big sounds out of a really small system.

Dead center? Heck yes! A micro LFO and a bar graph should do the trick.
Kwote
what do you consider 4 spaces? two VCO widths? i'm going by metalbox's standards. 1 frac space = micro lfo, 2 frac spaces = Blacet VCO

thus my conclusion that it'll be 6 frac spaces ala Metalbox Sequential Switch size.

Kwote
also just to let everybody know how much of a big freak i am, the moment i saw the picture for the HEX ZONE i immediately downloaded it and made it my wallpaper at work.

i've been staring off and on at the shit all day! if only you had an emoticon with a smiley punching himself in the face to accent the pure insanity this news has caused me. hahahahahaha.
consumed
obsessing is a completely natural thing to do.
for awhile now ive had this set to my desktop at work:

ive been vacillating on making a move toward some serge panel(s).
however, ive found some new satisfaction in my existing (and in-progress) modules and sequencers. but im still fascinated by some serge designs.
J.w.M.
Yeah, obsessing and modular synth ownership go hand in hand. Oh, and I want a Serge even more after listening to Skinny Puppy's The Poison Mouth (on Back and Forth 6). Cool stuff.

Speaking of crazy/obsessive, I just put this together in photoshop. Looks like the Hex Zone is twice the width of a VCO or similar module (the VCO being two frac units wide):[/img]
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
Yeah, obsessing and modular synth ownership go hand in hand. Oh, and I want a Serge even more after listening to Skinny Puppy's The Poison Mouth (on Back and Forth 6). Cool stuff.

Speaking of crazy/obsessive, I just put this together in photoshop. Looks like the Hex Zone is twice the width of a VCO or similar module (the VCO being two frac units wide):[/img]

if the HexZone is only that wide i'll shit myself. twould be sweet.
nathankirchner
Kwote wrote:
if the HexZone is only that wide i'll shit myself.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. Regardless, the Hex Zone is the width of 2 Blacet VCO's, 4 frac units. That's a definite by the way, I have the proto-type sitting next to me.

It's an awesome unit!
Kwote
nathankirchner wrote:
Kwote wrote:
if the HexZone is only that wide i'll shit myself.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. Regardless, the Hex Zone is the width of 2 Blacet VCO's, 4 frac units. That's a definite by the way, I have the proto-type sitting next to me.

It's an awesome unit!

wow. good news. very good news. so is this the first we're seeing of blacet personnel on the board's? if so welcome and love the modules.
nathankirchner
Kwote wrote:

so is this the first we're seeing of blacet personnel on the board's? if so welcome and love the modules.

I'm not "blacet personal" as such, more like a designer for hire. I worked with John on the Hex Zone.

It's great to hear/see it get a positive reaction!
Muff Wiggler
wow, great to have you here Nathan, thanks very much for coming by!

Indeed, there's lots of excitement - Blacet is the most talked-about modular around here (and my personal favorite), and there's high expectations for any Blacet product - a sequencer however, by any manufacturer, is something that probably excites more than anything else. You combine that with the fact that it's a Blacet - and I think everyone will agree that it's gonna be a winner!

Thanks for helping John bring this to fruition - this sort of product is the 'missing piece' in the offerings of many modular companies - and a real sign that the Blacet system has 'fully grown up' into a mature and full-fleged solution. Congrats! 8) I can't wait to own two of them.
J.w.M.
I can't wait to have at least one (and every module I've gotten so far makes me want at least one more).

I suppose this explains the microcontroller ad in the jobs section at the Blacet site! 8)

Looking forward to it!
nathankirchner
Muff Wiggler wrote:
wow, great to have you here Nathan, thanks very much for coming by!

Thanks!

Muff Wiggler wrote:
a sequencer however, by any manufacturer, is something that probably excites more than anything else.

The Hex Zone is a very special sequencer, with a lot of features that aren't seen in most. Here are a few of my favourite features.

- Two seperate 1V/Oct outputs settable for each step is awesome. Means cords (all be it two note ones) can be played. Or the VCF or VCA can be set by one and the note by the other for each step, etc.

- Another great one is the Gate width. To be able to set the width of the gate for each step independantly is something I think is very useful. It gives you a more realistic sequence (different note lengths for each note) without having to have 16 ADSR's.

- The tempo range is insane! 1/2BPM up to 300BPM (30s per step to ~40ms per step) on internal clock and it will track from 1/4BPM to ~1500BPM (~60 per step to ~1ms per step)

- but probably my favourite thing is being able to assign the active switch for each step - i.e. sequence the order that the switches turn on in. Plug a few different audio sources in and play with the switch order and you have an analog wavetable. There's a random setting two - which is awesome, a random switch is selected each time that step is hit.

Muff Wiggler wrote:
... real sign that the Blacet system has 'fully grown up' into a mature and full-fleged solution.

It certainly is a SERIOUS addition. I get the feeling a LOT of people will be adding a Flac rack to their modulars just to get one of these in. The only other comparable in price and rack compatible sequencer I can think of is the FR Mobius and... well... put it this way, I'm going to be selling mine wink

Muff Wiggler wrote:
I can't wait to own two of them.

Hahaha. I feel a bit incline that way myself smile

p.s. My comments here are my personal opinion and not sales pitch. I speak as myself and not on the behalf of Blacet - I don't have a royalty deal with Blacet and the success of this product (number of sales) does not directly benefit me.
Kwote
really appreciate all this info nathan. i have just enough space left in my 6u rack for the HEX ZONE. of course there's all sorts of modules i need to add to my modest system right now. but i think it's safe to say this one has moved up pretty high on the list.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3