MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HOWTO: Easily Bring a Sony HR-MP5 Reverb/FX Back To Life
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author HOWTO: Easily Bring a Sony HR-MP5 Reverb/FX Back To Life
obscurerobot
Summary: Sony's half-rack HR-MP5 depends on a battery that is soldered onto the PCB. This battery dies after a few years, but is very easy to replace. Here's how.

Reference: Gearslutz thread on the HR-MP5.

Summary: The HR-MP5 takes a 3V CR2032 battery. If the battery is dead, it won't boot. If the battery isn't quite dead, the MP5 may still boot, but will crash as soon as you try to load a corrupt user patch. You can reset the MP5 by holding the Bypass and Exit buttons while powering it on.

This guide is targeted at people new to electronics repair. If you already know what to do, go right ahead. If you are unsure of what to do next, then read on.

Parts Required:
  • CR2032 battery or other 3V battery
  • CR2032 battery holder (or suitable holder if you picked a different battery)
  • Stranded wire, 22 AWG is fine, ideally two colors
  • Double-sided foam tape
  • Optional - electrical tape
  • Solder
  • Flux

Equipment Required:
  • Soldering iron
  • Solder Sucker
  • #2 Philips Screwdriver
  • Optional - Diagonal Cutter
  • Optional - Wire Stripper (go ahead, use your teeth. I'm not your dentist)
  • Optional - Scissors
  • Optional - Panavise or other PCB holder

Directions:
  1. Open up the HR-MP5 by removing the bolts on the side and the back.
  2. Gently unplug all of the wires, including the plastic ribbon that goes to the LCD

3. Unbolt the PCB.
  4. Leave the rear panel attached the the PCB. Unbolt it from the main frame of the HR-MP5. This is a lot less work than unbolting each individual I/O port.
  5. Gently slide the PCB out of the HR-MP5.
  6. Identify the battery.
  7. Flip the PCB, keeping in mind where the battery was. There is a good chance that there will be big blobs of solder and flux from the last person who replaced the battery.
  8. Plug in and heat up your soldering Iron.
  9. While the iron is warming up, prepare two lengths of wire. Strip and tin the ends. Solder them to the + and - leads of the battery holder. If possible, use a red wire for + and a black wire for -.

10. Find your solder sucker.
  11. Working on the BACK of the PCB, heat up one of the battery terminals until the solder blob melts. Use the solder sucker to remove the solder. You are done when the solder tab floats freely in the PCB hole.
  12. Desolder the other tab. You are done when the battery drops down.
  13. Move the battery out of the way. Remember to dispose of it properly later. A battery is not a suitable offering to Ahura Mazda, despite what your friends may have told you.
  14. Flip the PCB over, notice that Sony was nice enough to mark the + and - battery terminals in silkscreen. Match up your wires and insert them. Red should go to + and black should go to -.

15. Solder the wires in.
  16. Stack enough layers on the bottom of your battery holder so that it can sit without the terminals touching whatever it is sitting on. Mine required four layers.

17. Optionally, lay down some electrical tape on the upper right corner of the PCB to ensure that you don't bridge the ground plane with your battery.

18. Bolt everything back together EXCEPT the lid. Murphy's law guarantees that something will be wrong with your MP5 if you power it on after closing the case.
  19. Power on the MP5 while holding down the Bypass and Exit buttons.
  20. Verify that your MP5 boots. One of my MP5s booted immediately, the other required several power cycles before it booted.

21. Turn off your soldering iron. Clean up.
  22. Reverberate like a boss.
consumed
nice repair guide. i was able to find a battery clip that fit the original holes somewhat (the clip is angled because the fit is not exact. alas, the mp5 is still out of service...i now have to replace the backlight/display.
obscurerobot
consumed wrote:
nice repair guide. i was able to find a battery clip that fit the original holes somewhat (the clip is angled because the fit is not exact. alas, the mp5 is still out of service...i now have to replace the backlight/display.

Have you tried the Bypass+Exit thing? When I changed the battery, the screen would stay blank until I rebooted it while holding those two buttons. The second one took a few tries before it finally booted up.
ringstone
Yep. Had to do this many a time for different gear. A battery holder would cost cents in bulk amounts but very few manufacturers bother to use them... seriously, i just don't get it

I would suggest that clipping the leads to the battery if possible, then desoldering the remainder may be a little safer than desoldering the battery in situ. A socket is definitely recommended though. thumbs up

Cheers
Blair
mecki
Old thread, I know. But I still do have a problem to bring back my HR-MP5 to life.

I had it in a box on my attic for 10 years or something - until I finally thought, I coul'd actually sell the thing. I've tried to turn it on, but the LCD just lights up and nothing happens.

So I changed the battery, which worked fine. But now when I turn it on, it's still the same: The LCD lights up, but nothing happens (yes, I'm pressing Bypass + Exit and tried many many times).

I've also read to unplug the device and shorten the battery. Also to no avail.

Any idea what else I could try?
jzurd0
Hi there, anyone could share/sell a dump of the MP5 rom .BIN contents?

IC507

Thanks a lot!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1