MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Q150 Slope Selection Modifiication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Q150 Slope Selection Modifiication
kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Q150 Slope Selection Modifiication Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A thread started in the DIY section might be of interest here for some dotcom'ers...

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=773403#773403

Basically it is to use a toggle switch to select the 1, 2 or 3 pole slopes on the -12dB setting of the Q150 Transistor Ladder Filter from synthesizers.com.

I ran out of time to do a demo of what these settings sound like. The 3 pole setting approaches the Q107 standard sound without reaching Q oscillation. The 1 pole setting is very flat and subtle but lets almost full spectrum frequency range through. Or at least that was my late-night impression of the settings.

A fun modification. It took me forever to find this switch and there are only a couple left in inventory at Mouser in case anyone wants to do this mod for themselves. Just sayin'

videos
ModularGrid
Jsantos360
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't eliminate the "pops" that are caused by the slope switch very frustrating

Im taking a pass waah

kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jsantos360 wrote:
You can't eliminate the "pops" that are caused by the slope switch very frustrating

Im taking a pass waah

True. The pop is used to make percussive treatments. razz

videos
ModularGrid
Squattamolie
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did this a while ago, the link is to a video showing the slope selection on the Q150

Q150 switchable slopes

Scott
Jsantos360
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Squattamolie wrote:
I did this a while ago, the link is to a video showing the slope selection on the Q150
Scott

And it was amazing! Loved your demos so much I sent my Q150 and Q107 to my best modman, Phil @ MegaOhm. After trying several different things, we decided to do the toggle mod on the Q107 and leave the Q150 deadstock. The "pop" was a bit too much for me waah

kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Squattamolie wrote:

Q150 switchable slopes

Scott

Exactly why I wanted to try it. Thanks for the video and inspiration Squattamolie. applause

My goal was to do it with a miniature toggle switch. I was told a slide or rotary was the best way but I got lucky and found a toggle solution. It was so neat and simple that I thought I'd try to document it.

BTW, how did you tie into the shunt array? I decided to go for a non-permanent way. Naturally, the panel drilling is rather permanent so I was only so successful.

The popping really isn't going to be a problem from my standpoint. I doubt I'll be switching it during a performance and even then there are work arounds such as fading down (damping) before the switch or maybe even a circuit solution. I know Tony Allgood (Oakley Synth) has made this happen on the SVF and other modules. He is of course, very clever. A category I obviously don't belong in.

videos
ModularGrid
Squattamolie
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the kind words!

As to the "pop", my semi-lame-but-still-effective workaround is that I set the factory 12/24 toggle to "24", then I can turn the rotary to select 6/12/18 dB slopes without the pop, then switch the 12/24 toggle back - it does the job, and "pop-lessly".

As to the "shunt array" - I am i_g_n_o_r_a_n_t of electrical things, I've never even heard the term. No clue, no kidding!

I just figured out that if I could get a rotary switch to move the contacts that a user moves manually with the jumpers, it should work - right? And it did.

One thing that made it easier was . . . (I have no idea how to describe this) . . . I only had to attach 8 wires to the set of jumper pins instead of 12. I'll try to upload a graphic of the jumper pins . . .

For one slope (6 or 18, I forget), you need yellow/blue and yellow/magenta, for the 12dB slope, you need green/blue and green/magenta, for the last one you need orange/blue and orange magenta - (I realize this is probably about how a 10 year-old would try to explain this - like I said, I'm a complete noob). What this meant was that I only needed one wire from the rotary to (just) one of the blue pins, and another single wire for the magenta, then the six wires to the other six pins.

kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right.

The same technique for me. Not enough knowledge to prevent me from making it work. Mr. Green

videos
ModularGrid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: