MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes
 
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!



MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
RCD with longer divisions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author RCD with longer divisions
bsmith
Super Deluxe Wiggler


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Last Visit: 02 Sep 2014

Posts: 2573
Location: Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

JP wrote:
4mspedals wrote:
Heh... OK with thedug's help I dove into github... started a repository here:

https://github.com/4ms/Clocker

Maybe we should move this discussion to the DIY forum?


Awesome ! This is going to be an adventure.

As I suspected SCM is much more complex than the RCD by a factor of pw0=8400,pw1=4200,pw2=2800,pw3=2200,pw4=1680,pw5=1400,pw7=1050;


That bit is one of the simpler easier to tinker with things in the scm code - the initial pulse width on the various outs.....

_________________
Youtube Stuff | Soundcloud
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 31 Aug 2014

Posts: 504
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a fuzzy beacon wrote:
This is awesome. Just bought an RCD because of this thread. I want to try programming something more radical with it though nanners

I had a quick look at the code (and there is actually a lot of comments - very helpful thumbs up ) so if I understand correctly RCD (or SCM) can be seen as 2 CV inputs going through ADC, and same ADC converts additional CV inputs in the extensions?


Yeah, there's two CV inputs and a clock input. On the RCD the breakout pins are switches (digital inputs) and on the SCM they're mostly analog inputs (ADC). The ADC is set to read one input at a time by setting the ADMUX register
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a scanner darkly
_


Joined: 16 Nov 2011
Last Visit: 02 Sep 2014

Posts: 1189

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

4mspedals wrote:
Yeah, there's two CV inputs and a clock input. On the RCD the breakout pins are switches (digital inputs) and on the SCM they're mostly analog inputs (ADC). The ADC is set to read one input at a time by setting the ADMUX register


RCD and SCM both use ATmega168 chip, right? So it has 8 channels that can be selected by ADMUX plus I saw this in the doc: "The analog input channel is selected by writing to the MUX bits in ADMUX. Any of the ADC input pins, as well as GND and a fixed bandgap voltage reference, can be selected as single ended inputs to the ADC" - that makes 10 inputs in total if I understood it correctly.

3 inputs are used for clock / rotate / reset on RCD and for clock / rotate / slip on SCM, that leaves 7 for extensions - what confused me was that SCM breakout got 8 inputs, but 2 of them are duplicates of SCM (rotate and slip).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 31 Aug 2014

Posts: 504
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clock IN goes to PD2 which is a digital pin (not controlled by the ADC).

The mega168 has 6 ADC channels on pins PC0-PC5. In the SCM they are
PC5=Shuffle
PC4=Resync
PC3=Skip
PC2=PW
PC1=SLIP
PC0=ROTATE

On the RCD there's only one analog channel, just PC0=ROTATE. The rest are used digitally (on or off).
PC1=Reset and PC2-5 are the breakout switches.

Additionally, PD5 and PD4 go to the breakout header for "Fast x4" and MUTE on the SCM, and more breakout switches on the RCD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JP
Super Deluxe Wiggler


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Last Visit: 22 Feb 2014

Posts: 1084
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

really wishing there was some way to test the code before burning it to the chip and testing. is there such a thing as an atmel emulator? or someway to run the code and test it by passing it fake triggers and seeing a log out for the triggers sent?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a scanner darkly
_


Joined: 16 Nov 2011
Last Visit: 02 Sep 2014

Posts: 1189

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you for detailed explanation - makes it easier to read the code as well! And sorry if that's too many questions but just want to make sure I understand correctly how it works...

Would it be correct to say that essentially breakouts provide access to PC0-PC5 (which can be treated as either analog or on/off values), so technically I could upload SCM code to RCD and use SCM breakout with it? Or is there a difference in how the breakout connector is wired? The reason I'm asking - I got RCD on the way and now thinking about getting SCM breakout as well as it will give me 2 switches and 6 inputs (5 of them attenuated) to play with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 31 Aug 2014

Posts: 504
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

JP wrote:
really wishing there was some way to test the code before burning it to the chip and testing. is there such a thing as an atmel emulator? or someway to run the code and test it by passing it fake triggers and seeing a log out for the triggers sent?


There is a simulator, but I never saw the point when I can just do it in real-time on my bench. You can burn and re-burn I think 100,000 times per chip! So no harm done in trying out a few dozen/hundred ideas in a day
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 31 Aug 2014

Posts: 504
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a fuzzy beacon wrote:
Thank you for detailed explanation - makes it easier to read the code as well! And sorry if that's too many questions but just want to make sure I understand correctly how it works...

Would it be correct to say that essentially breakouts provide access to PC0-PC5 (which can be treated as either analog or on/off values), so technically I could upload SCM code to RCD and use SCM breakout with it? Or is there a difference in how the breakout connector is wired? The reason I'm asking - I got RCD on the way and now thinking about getting SCM breakout as well as it will give me 2 switches and 6 inputs (5 of them attenuated) to play with.


Essentially, yes, but the breakout header also has pins for +12V, GND, and PD4 and PD5 as I described above. Also one pin is a reference voltage for the switch of the Slip or Reset jack. In the SCM it's set at 2.5V (50% slippage), and in the RCD it's set at 0V

We snip the unused header pins off the breakout header for the RCD, so you'll have to solder those back to convert RCD->SCM. Also we jumpered/omitted the reference voltage resistors (470k's). Check out the RCD kit build guide manual, it details the differences between the two with photos:
http://www.4mspedals.com/clocker/kit/scmrcd_build_guide.pdf


(edit: corrected it to PD4 and PD5)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monobass
thonk.co.uk


Joined: 29 May 2009
Last Visit: 02 Sep 2014

Posts: 8091
Location: Brighton, UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh I forgot about that tracking gate sequencer! Yes please!
_________________
Thonk - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bsmith
Super Deluxe Wiggler


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Last Visit: 02 Sep 2014

Posts: 2573
Location: Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

4mspedals wrote:
JP wrote:
really wishing there was some way to test the code before burning it to the chip and testing. is there such a thing as an atmel emulator? or someway to run the code and test it by passing it fake triggers and seeing a log out for the triggers sent?


There is a simulator, but I never saw the point when I can just do it in real-time on my bench. You can burn and re-burn I think 100,000 times per chip! So no harm done in trying out a few dozen/hundred ideas in a day


When I'm horsing around I don't even stop the clock going into it when sending changes. It kind of spazzes and goes hugghguhguugug for a sec then carries on with the changes when it's done after several seconds.

_________________
Youtube Stuff | Soundcloud
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Mark all forums read
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group