MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Where do I start with Merzbow?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Where do I start with Merzbow?
AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Where do I start with Merzbow? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to listen to some Merzbow but there's so much - where do I start? Is there an obvious way in?
shamann
_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

His mid-to-late 90s releases on Alien8 (Aqua Necromancer, Door Open at 8am) and Relapse (Pulse Demon, Tauromachine) are to my mind the easiest entry points (easy being relative, of course).
sandyb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 euro c would be on frog.

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Frog/release/169650

a collaboration, but most certainly pretty accessible, is the album he did with Kim Cascone Rondo / 7Phases / Blowback

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Kim-Cascone-Rondo-7Phases-Blowback/rele ase/346881

Last edited by sandyb on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
RealDudes
Lives in a Dudeplex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pulse Demon
I think it was the first noise I ever heard. It was a bright summer morning waking up with a bracing hangover. It was an awakening.

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Last of the analog sessions" 3 CD set on Important Records. Crazy harsh noise made with mostly EMS Synthi, VCS3 etc etc... best headcleaner out there!

...and of course the Partikel-collabs he made with me wink

BUY/LISTEN: http://nordvargr.bandcamp.com
VIDEO: http://vimeo.com/nrdvrgr
AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nrdvrgr wrote:
"Last of the analog sessions" 3 CD set on Important Records. Crazy harsh noise made with mostly EMS Synthi, VCS3 etc etc... best headcleaner out there!

Great - thanks - I just found a copy and it seems rare enough that if I hate it I'll be able to sell it...

"mostly EMS Synth, VCS3 etc" - so will it be like Jean Michel Jarre?!
clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AntManBee wrote:
"mostly EMS Synth, VCS3 etc" - so will it be like Jean Michel Jarre?!

LOL! thumbs up

My first (and only, so far) Merzbow was Amlux...I quite like it, but will be checking out some of the other suggestions in this thread.
parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked up Pulse Demon first, which I still love. I also really dig Venereology, Amlux, V (with Pan Sonic).

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
Babaluma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only own pulse demon, but it was enough to put me off ever buying any more, haha! lol it's probably the most obnoxious music i've ever heard. if that's your bag you might like it!

no disrespect meant to anyone, i'm just not really into that type of noise/power electronics these days.
AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
no disrespect meant to anyone, i'm just not really into that type of noise/power electronics these days.

I don't think I am either - my idea of a good time nowadays is a walk in Suffolk - but I'm intrigued to know what lies at the outskirts instead of staying within my musical comfort zone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: