MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Where do I start with Merzbow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Where do I start with Merzbow?
daren
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoy his collaboration with Russell Haswell that was released on Warp of all places. The cover is very appealing too!

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol Now that's different for an album cover. I also really like his collab with Alec Empire- http://www.discogs.com/Alec-Empire-vs-Merzbow-Live-CBGBs-NYC-1998/rele ase/167775
Knobtwister
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Start with the Merzbox thumbs up Probably my favourite release in my whole recordcollection love

The mid 90s stuff is in my opinion his most interesting work, and if you're not into the harscher stuff, maybe go for one of the Boriscollabs? Sun baked snow cave and Rock dream are both awesome albums.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've loved the Japanese noise scene for ages.
Have listened to every Merzbow CD release up to 2005 (and most tapes, vinyls, and many after 2005).
He lost me there... I find most of his later output to be just boring (with some great exceptions).

Anyway, like some others mentioned, the 90's was his best period (this goes for the whole noise scene IMHO), but made some great releases in the 80's too.

Recommended "easier" releases for beginners:
Scumtron (remixes & original recordings)
Merzbow / Genesis P-Orridge - A Perfect Pain
Amlux
Aqua Necromancer
Offering

Recommended for beginners looking for something highly representative:
Great American Nude / Crash For Hi-Fi
Tauromachine

my favourites:
Flesh Metal Orgasm
Dutch Tour 1989
Axx / Spooning
Cloud Cock 00 Grand
Rainbow Electronics
PGR / Merzbow / Asmus Tietchens - Grav
Great American Nude / Crash For Hi-Fi
Music For Bondage Performance
Music For The Dead Man 2: Return Of The Dead Man
Hole
Wakantanka / Aboriginie of Anniversary 50 Years After War
Spiral Honey
Rainbow Electronics 2
Merzbow / John Watermann - Brisbane-Tokyo Interlace
Mercurated
Magnesia Nova
Akasha Gulva
Scumtron
Aqua Necromancer
Door Open At 8 AM
Tentacle
Dharma
Merzbient

>> Three new Serge tracks!
diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not specific to this thread (as I've seen it elsewhere), but I don't understand all the love for the Merzbox and the discs on Release/Relapse.

I like weirdo/experimental/tape stuff, but quite a lot of what's on the Merzbox is totally inane and boring to my ears. I've owned the Merzbox for 3 years, and I've only managed to get through the first 36 discs so far. (I own ~100 other Merzbow releases.) Unless there's some brilliant stuff on the last discs, it definitely scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

The discs on Release/Relapse (Venereology, Pulse Demon, Tauromachine) ain't bad at all, and are pretty easy to find, but are not the best.

If you want noise: Oersted
If you want noisy & rhythmic: Aqua Necromancer
If you want a bit more rhythmic: Timehunter
If you want more ambient/experimental: Music For Bondage Performance
If you want easier/more mellow noise: Merzzow
If you want old tape/experimental stuff: Age Of 369 / Chant 2

Rock Dream with Boris is really good too, if you want to try it from a somewhat different perspective.
sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I once had an apartment in a dreary northern city. The other people living in the house were really annoying. I came home one evening and they were making a lot of noise, as usual. I set the stereo to top volume and loaded up "Ananga Ranga." 30 minutes later, the house was dead quiet. Even if they would have been brave enough to knock on the door and ask me to turn it down, I wouldn't have been able to hear them.
KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

diophantine wrote:
Not specific to this thread (as I've seen it elsewhere), but I don't understand all the love for the Merzbox and the discs on Release/Relapse.

I like weirdo/experimental/tape stuff, but quite a lot of what's on the Merzbox is totally inane and boring to my ears. I've owned the Merzbox for 3 years, and I've only managed to get through the first 36 discs so far. (I own ~100 other Merzbow releases.) Unless there's some brilliant stuff on the last discs, it definitely scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Well, IMO you have the best in front of you - most between #36-50 are great albums smile

From the top of my head, these are highly enjoyable as well:
#13: Material Action 2 (N.A.M)
#31: Merzbow & Achim Wollscheid KIR Transformation
#32: Scissors For Cutting Merzbow Vol. 1
#33: Scissors For Cutting Merzbow Vol. 2

>> Three new Serge tracks!
Knobtwister
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great classic noisevideo with some legendary perfomances. Watch the locals in the Merzbow gig hihi

DIVINEAUDIO
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm partial to merzzow myself, plenty of psychedelia to be had in that album. spiral honey is also high on the list.
AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm listening (is that the right word?) to Pulse Demon, kindly sent by Babaluma. Merzbow certainly wins the 'loudness wars' - this must be the loudest CD I've ever played - it could have been called 'the art of digital clipping' or 'music as a square wave' - fuck!

I'm going to need some time with this but right now it's making my fillings fall out and my ears bleed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: