MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Classic (Frac) VCA any takers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Classic (Frac) VCA any takers
krisp14u
This is the second of Mr. T Allgood's modules designed for the 3U punters
It is a fantastic little VCA we're not worthy

It features 2 inputs one DC coupled and the other AC coupled both inputs can be used simultaneously and each one features an input level control

The VCA has both linear and exponential control voltage inputs. Both can be used together or individually (for me a big +)

Is the design below too cramped or not? (the pot spacing is fixed)?

Is there a need for this in the frac world ?

I read some where that the Frac format is dead but I don’t believe everything I read and as a mainly 5U kind of guy Im up to 9U of frac and have 2 more cases to fill so Im up for a few the question is are you?
Luka
that was me hihi
said on a whim, no real thought process behind it
frac is rocking with people like bugs knocking out killer new systems and wiard / stg stuff

layout looks good paul
parasitk
Definitely looks good! More single space VCAs in Frac are a great thing!
BananaPlug
I agree!
Kent
It's not dead. It's just that it is holding a minority position in the market; much like Apple Computer does.
There are a shitload of people getting into modulars now and the majority are gravitating toward Euro but I wouldn't think that Frac is dead. Frac is perfectly compatible with Euro in almost every way that matters. Hell, I started with Euro and quickly added a bunch of cool Frac stuff that isn't available elsewhere.

Sure, there are VCAs available in Euro but they are either really large, rather expensive or lack the features on this this Oakley model. One can never have too many VCAs!
DGTom
krisp14u wrote:
It features 2 inputs one DC coupled and the other AC coupled both inputs can be used simultaneously and each one features an input level control

The VCA has both linear and exponential control voltage inputs. Both can be used together or individually (for me a big +)

Woah! I like the sound of this.

krisp14u wrote:
Is the design below too cramped or not? (the pot spacing is fixed)?

Looks fine to me. I've found the jack on the left, pot on the right works great w/ single width frac unit layouts.

krisp14u wrote:
Is there a need for this in the frac world ?

I think so. There is really only one VCA for frac in production(?) Not counting using the STG Wavefolder as a VCA (or the Klangwerk)
panda30y
Looks great!
haricots
I likey!!
krisp14u
Thanks for the kind remarks we're not worthy

I think most of you will like this VCA even more when you get your hands on one or two of them

It is looking like I will be sending the Files off to the panel firm sooner rather than later

I will be sending a supply to Shawn at A,H, and I will be doing the Direct Buy thing for those not in the USA

The price from me is looking to be around the 80-90 GBP mark
Cat-A-Tonic
The layout looks perfect.

Can it boost signals (add gain)? if so, how much?
or does it only attenuate?

and of course one of the most important things is...
What does it sound like?
Is it clean?
Can it be overdriven to distort?

The simultaneous input of AC & DC is interesting.
Can you use it as a 2 input mixer?
Atticus
Kent wrote:
It's not dead. It's just that it is holding a minority position in the market; much like Apple Computer does.
There are a shitload of people getting into modulars now and the majority are gravitating toward Euro but I wouldn't think that Frac is dead. Frac is perfectly compatible with Euro in almost every way that matters. Hell, I started with Euro and quickly added a bunch of cool Frac stuff that isn't available elsewhere.

Me too. Only last week I got my first frac rack, power supply and a couple of Blacets. I already love the format. The Blacets ooze quality. I was worried about investing in yet another format but of course they fit together fine. I advise all Euro-only men to treat themselves to a frac on the side.
parasitk
Atticus wrote:
Kent wrote:

Me too. Only last week I got my first frac rack, power supply and a couple of Blacets. I already love the format. The Blacets ooze quality. I was worried about investing in yet another format but of course they fit together fine. I advise all Euro-only men to treat themselves to a frac on the side.

I love you guys! *sheds an e-tear*
Kwote
yes Paul. Bring it on!! Rawk!
scozbor
looks like a great module. not sure if i will need more vca's though after i build the dual MFOS.

although... you know what they say! hihi
Synthbuilder
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Can it boost signals (add gain)? if so, how much?
or does it only attenuate?

Gain is typically unity when any one of CV inputs are at 5V and the relevant input pot is at maximum. The Gain pot controls gain up to unity too. However, each CV and the gain pot act together and can produce over unity when worked together, but this is limited internally to a maximum of around 1.5 or so.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
What does it sound like? Is it clean?
Can it be overdriven to distort?

Its very clean. Any overdriving characteristics are of the soft sort and are not generally noticeable except with very large input signals.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
The simultaneous input of AC & DC is interesting.
Can you use it as a 2 input mixer?

Yes, this was its intention. I often mix the sinewave output from a VCO into the VCA along with the filtered VCO signal. Its a great way of maintaining a solid bass sound while the filter adds dynamic interest. I got the idea from some of the Yamaha CS synths.

I should add that this module design is heavily inspired from the VCA section of the ARP2600. There a lot more about it in the User Guide freely downloadable at the project webpage:

http://www.oakleysound.com/vinvca.htm
mono-poly
The letters above the jacks look kinda weird.
But for the rest no comments!

w00t
ignatzthemouse
Will there be a Euro version? If so I might jump at it.
krisp14u
ignatzthemouse wrote:
Will there be a Euro version? If so I might jump at it.

yes there will be a Euro Classic VCA Guinness ftw!

The Euro guys have so much new stuff comiming out at the moment that I thought this should be a Frac release with a Euro Add-on Mr. Green
krisp14u
Im sending the Panel data to the manufactures on Monday
And hope to have modules for sale in 3 weeks
krisp14u
krisp14u wrote:
Im sending the Panel data to the manufactures on Monday
And hope to have modules for sale in 3 weeks

LOL better late than Never eek!

will be with Shawn at AH in a week and on sale in the online store ASAP
Cat-A-Tonic
Looks great Paul! 8_)

Quote:
Gain is typically unity when any one of CV inputs are at 5V and the relevant input pot is at maximum. The Gain pot controls gain up to unity too. However, each CV and the gain pot act together and can produce over unity when worked together, but this is limited internally to a maximum of around 1.5 or so.

I just noticed this 5v remark.
Why not 10v like the rest of the Frac 'standard'? hmmm.....
...I suppose you're thinking ahead for Euro development... confused
I guess this is the sort of thing is what we have external attenuators,
and attenuators on envelope level outputs.
...always a work-around...
Fnord
This looks sharp, and will be one less hole I'm gonna need to fill. thumbs up
Kent
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Looks great Paul! 8_)

I just noticed this 5v remark.
Why not 10v like the rest of the Frac 'standard'? hmmm.....

I find this to be great for integration into a Euro-Rig. I don't use the VCA aspect of my Quad Mix VCA very much because my Euro-Stuff is too wimpy to drive it correctly. I'd probably get this VCA in Euro though anyhow.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1