MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
ES-4 Gate Expander weirdness and woes
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author ES-4 Gate Expander weirdness and woes
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: ES-4 Gate Expander weirdness and woes Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Going through the ES-4 tutorials in Ableton. My gate expander just outputs seemingly random gates that sometimes sync to the ES-4's outputs. I can't get it to output an independent gate in any logical or discernible way. I went through the drum rack tutorial and still no luck. Changing the settings in the controller plug-in changes the outputs but still makes no usable sense at the gate expander's outputs. Please help. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
defenestration
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what expansion header do you have the gate expander connected to? that expansion header is getting everything the ES-4 plugins will send out the corresponding ES-4 output/channel for that header so make sure to turn off the midi-cv channels in the ES-4 plugin

by default the plugin will be sending data to channels 1 and 3 of the ES so if you have your gate expander hooked up to the first or third headers you're going to get spurious gates going off through your expander

hopefully this is helpful, I got a bit tripped up by this when attempting to run a cv controlled synth along with multiple midi outputs from my gate expander
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

defenestration wrote:
what expansion header do you have the gate expander connected to? that expansion header is getting everything the ES-4 plugins will send out the corresponding ES-4 output/channel for that header so make sure to turn off the midi-cv channels in the ES-4 plugin

by default the plugin will be sending data to channels 1 and 3 of the ES so if you have your gate expander hooked up to the first or third headers you're going to get spurious gates going off through your expander

hopefully this is helpful, I got a bit tripped up by this when attempting to run a cv controlled synth along with multiple midi outputs from my gate expander

I have it connected to the first header. I did turn off the midi/cv but strange things were still happening. For instance, in drum track, the midi note numbers were not totally cooresponding to the expander outputs. More importantly though, I am not getting a solid usable gate signal. I get double gate blips when I should be getting a single gate on/off. I'm going to try connecting to the second header and see what happens.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea I'm still getting a a double pulse for every intended single gate pulse on the expander. hmmm.....
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so I noticed that even though only the gate expander outputs are supposed to be activated, I get a faint blip on the ES-4 channel 5 and the 7 other expander outputs when just triggering the 1st gate expander output.

In the ES-4 controller plug-in I raised the value of output 5 of the ES-4 until the double blip artifact went away on all the said channels. Problem solved on gate expander out 1 but not on the others. Can anybody explain to me why this was happening? Some kind of signal bleed through?
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm getting really bad inconsistent results. I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the hardware itself because I had only channel one working properly for a while when it started doing strange things again outputting spurious signals, starting/stopping randomly. Getting noisy signals randomly on the ES-4 when using the other plug-ins. I'm following all the tutorial settings to the T so idk whats up here. Really frustrating very frustrating seriously, i just don't get it
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

I'd like to clearly classify possible issues into two categories

a) the wrong outputs being triggered, or ES-4 channels getting mixed up, or "bleeding thru", or similar

b) things happening at the wrong *times*, or happening randomly.

If all your problems are in category (a), that points to unwanted processing happening between the output of the plug-in and the hardware. The ES-4 software relies on there being an absolutely clean path to the hardware - in particular, no gain being applied to the signal. So your channel fader in Live must be at unity gain, and if your audio interface has its own submix app or whatever, the channel feeding the ES-4 must pass through the signal at unity gain, and certainly with no EQ or whatever.

Category (b) would point to a hardware fault, or possibly a bad connection between the interface and the module (e.g. bad cable).

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes the fast track does have a submix utility. I will try adjusting that and see if the issues remain.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, checked all the levels and they are all at 0dB. I unplugged the gate expander entirely in case it was causing the issues. Problems still persist. I don't know what to make of this especially since most of the problems i'm having fall into category "a". Some of the outputs work correctly on the ES-4, others do not or not at all. Additionally, putting the plug-ins into ES-4 mode produces even stranger results with all channels except channel 4 not working at all. The midi note values also change in ES-4 mode. In other words i'm getting better results with ES-4 mode off, which confuses me even more. Am I to assume that this is still not a hardware issue?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A hardware issue would be surprising, since all the units are fully tested before sale.

Do you have access to (or can you borrow) anything else with an S/PDIF output?

Just using the ES-4 Controller and nothing else, adjusting the Output 1-5 knobs should give you direct and independent control of the ES-4's five outputs. What do you get from those?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: