MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
load & distance

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
New Patchwork demo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author New Patchwork demo
pvdn
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: New Patchwork demo Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I put a new version of my Flash modular synth online:

http://petervandernoord.nl/patchwork/
shamann
_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a pretty impressive thing you've built.
pvdn
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, it has cost me an impressive amount of time smile
jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really cool! Thanks so much for sharing! Will there be a downloadable version?

One thing that might help is a small view in one of the bottom corners giving a master view of the patch and also allow the user to move around the main screen by clicking in it.

Personally, I'd like a patching/depatching toggle. So when you a click on a module output after pressing a modifier key i.e. cmd it then it acts as if you had double clicked and even after you connect it to one module another "cable" becomes active to wire it up to more. So for example if you wanted to send the clock to 10 modules after you hit the toggle you only have to click on the clock out once and then you can just click on all the places you want it to go. Likewise, another toggle modifier so that when you place a cable into a slot it automatically disconnects the old one.

I honestly really like how right clicking makes it stutter and roll. Exploitable. smile

In safari if I change the zoom settings (by right clicking) I'm unable to get back to the "real view", that is I can no longer see the play button.
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol, this is great fun!
knobs.
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nice, simple, easy.
FUN!
thank you for your work.
Count Edlington
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man thats crazy, really cool design.
syntax_tn
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Impressive and fun.

One little nitpick (I know it's far from done yet): the 'cables' are hard to keep apart visually, it's not easy to see whether they are crossing or 2 cables bent at 90. How about spline curves, colored cables or come kind of crossing indicators? When building a patch myself, it is not a problem, but reading other peoples patches might be hard.

Then for the audio engine, as far as i see, it seems to be quite tame on cpu usage, do you do all actual audio rate computations in AS, or are there some things you handle in control rate?

Oh and one other thing, UI-wise. I think you are missing an opportunity with the knobs: usually, UI-knobs are controlled by actually rotating the mouse pointer around the knob. Your interface handles knobs just like compact vertical sliders, ignoring the horizontal movement when dragging.
The rotation-approach has the advantage that you can do can do rather coarse-grained, fast movements when dragging near the knob and make fine-adjustments when the mousepointer is further away.

But other than that, sweet work, dude!
pvdn
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

syntax_tn wrote:
Impressive and fun.

Thanks! I'd really love to hear some stuff people are creating with it, because at the moment i don't have a clue. If you want to share something, you can easily post it to pastebin, the files are mere xml-files. I will be creating a quick-share fix in the coming days, where you can click a share-button, your patch will be saved and you will receive a link for it. (it's a quick fix because there will be a website with accounts, patches, voting, comments etc built around it in the coming months)

syntax_tn wrote:
One little nitpick (I know it's far from done yet): the 'cables' are hard to keep apart visually, it's not easy to see whether they are crossing or 2 cables bent at 90. How about spline curves, colored cables or come kind of crossing indicators? When building a patch myself, it is not a problem, but reading other peoples patches might be hard.

It is indeed far from finished, but please do come with criticism. Most of it will probably be on my very, verylong to-do list already, but i don't want to miss out on good ideas and i'm always interested in hearing others view of the software.

But yes, the cables are kind of messed up. I will be splining them, but only on the corners to match the round-corners style of the modules, and it wont help you in differentiating them. Crossing indicators is unofortunately something that will not happen, i will have to be looking at all other cables while drawing one, it's way too complicated. What i had in mind is highlighting them in different situations: mouse-over a cable will highlight that cable, mouse over a module will highlight all incoming and outgoing cables, and mouse over an input/output will highlight the cables connected to that. I think that will solve much regarding the cable-mess (don't we love cable mess here btw? wink ), but again: i'm always open for other suggestions.

syntax_tn wrote:
Then for the audio engine, as far as i see, it seems to be quite tame on cpu usage, do you do all actual audio rate computations in AS, or are there some things you handle in control rate?

I'm quite happy with how the engine holds up, we did quite some optimization to get where we are now (although there's much more to optimize). It took a rewrite of the whole architecture of the application, and uses fast memory acces (using joa ebert's apparat) to do fast reading and writing to memory. What happens now is that every signal is at full audiorate (a triggerpulse from the clock for example is just 1 sample with the value 1) and the thing you are suggesting will happen somewhere in the future. Control-signals should then work at a fraction of the resolution of the audio-signals (1/2, 1/4, something like that), because they're basically doing way too much at the moment.

syntax_tn wrote:
Oh and one other thing, UI-wise. I think you are missing an opportunity with the knobs: usually, UI-knobs are controlled by actually rotating the mouse pointer around the knob. Your interface handles knobs just like compact vertical sliders, ignoring the horizontal movement when dragging.
The rotation-approach has the advantage that you can do can do rather coarse-grained, fast movements when dragging near the knob and make fine-adjustments when the mousepointer is further away.

Hmmm, i've always found knobs that you have to control by 'rotating' rather annoying, but your example does make a point. Still, i think i hate that way of interacting with a knob too much smile Holding shift while dragging them gives you more precision btw, i may tweak those parameters a little more for better precision.

syntax_tn wrote:
But other than that, sweet work, dude!

And thank you for your reply!

By the way, updates will be announced on the new facebook-page i made for this, so make sure to keep an eye on that: http://www.facebook.com/patchworksynth

Last edited by pvdn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
pvdn
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(I've just added two filters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: