MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Extron Super Emotia GX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Extron Super Emotia GX
wcfields
YES! w00t I finally got this fucker to work.

Anyway, the Extron Super Emotia GX is probably going to be the cheapest Gen-lockable scan converter that you can find (I got mine off of Ebay for $38+free shipping). It's coveted by arcade console nerds running emulators because they need to convert VGA->RGBs for older RGB Arcade Monitors. They don't really care about the Genlock features, so they don't seem to go for too much.

This sticker is on the bottom of the unit, you can only use up to 1024x768 at low refresh rates:

The thing that makes these such a deal is that they have the worlds wonkiest power supply. They need +5v, +12v, and -12v with a crazy amount of amps behind them (vs any typical power brick / wall wart). I'm fortunate enough to live in Portland with access to Free Geek and found a brick that supplied +12 and +5 at 1.5a (I had read that you don't really need the -12v and this was before I found out the true amps needed, I figured 1.5a on each rail should be sufficient), but it only lighted up the LEDs but didn't produce a picture. Some guy on a Christian AV forum said that
Quote:
Power brick was called “extron 28-020-01”
Pin out from left to right: RTN, -12V 0.2A, RTN, +12V 0.5A, +5V 3A.

This is the beast that came with it and lead me to ditch the power brick idea.

Another thing that sucks is the power connector is a 5 Pin DIN (Just like MIDI), which I was able to get an old AT Keyboard cord (these can act as a MIDI Extension cable on the cheap), cut it in half and wired it up as given by some guy on a Arcade Console Forum
Code:

RTN/GND            +5V
         -12V    +12V
           RTN/GND

But since my powerbrick didn't supply enough Amps, the next cheapest solution is to find an old ATX power supply. These are nearly free and supply plenty of current, only problem is that they are really bulky and unwieldy.

So I wired up that, and viola! Now I have super cheap gen-lockable scan converter with Component and RGBs out.

Another tip is that you can stick a switch between any COM/GND pin and the PS_ON# and it will start up the power supply.
wcfields
Oh and also, the input VGA port is THE WRONG GENDER too.

I got a Mini-Display Port->VGA off of Monoprice and it's a Male, so I'll have to spend another $2 on a F-F VGA.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue, since you can just take any VGA Extension cable that's F->M and plug it in.
Matos
Congrats brother! That's some super sleuthing you did to rig hat bad bwoy up. My extron is still stuck at 640 low rez sadness as my adaptor was ordered, hen found to be out of stock. I can see your rast spray can in the background. Now that you have you scan converter converting, it's party time.
wcfields
Matos wrote:
Congrats brother! That's some super sleuthing you did to rig hat bad bwoy up. My extron is still stuck at 640 low rez sadness as my adaptor was ordered, hen found to be out of stock. I can see your rast spray can in the background. Now that you have you scan converter converting, it's party time.

Totally!

Though, I'm patiently waiting on the Triple Video Interface for some real fun.
lizlarsen
Amazing! Another thing for us to all fight over when they pop up on eBay. smile Thanks for all the research. You should archive this post on the wiki if you have the time.
Does it fill the frame on the output right now? That's the issue I'm having with my Extron Scan Converter. I have a pretty wide underscan border around the image, but the overscan setting sooms WAY in, rather than just filling the screen.
wcfields
creatorlars wrote:
Does it fill the frame on the output right now?

Yes, but it is a little bit zoomed in. I haven't tested it with any test paterens to see exactly how zoomed, but it does allow Under/Over scanning.
wcfields
Also, I had to open the unit up to tighten the composite BNC connector and saw that about half of the chips on the board had their markings sanded off.

I wonder if Extron was super paranoid of a competitor
lizlarsen
A few video mixers from around this area that I've peeked inside had their chip numbers sanded off too!
daverj
I did that once a couple of decades ago when a company in Taiwan bought one of my products. I was paranoid they were going to try to clone it and manufacture them.

Then I discovered that most chips have their numbers on the chip die, so with careful grinding, somebody can still get the chip number. (though they destroy the chip in the process)
wcfields
There's an Extron Emotia Xtreme MX High Resolution Scan Converter on eBay right now (6 days left though)

Luckily enough this uses a standard cheap computer power plug: IEC 60320 C3

XTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!

*POUNDS MOUNTAIN DEW*

nanners
lizlarsen
Damn, somebody hop on that quick!
wcfields
Hope a muff got that! End up selling for 21.50 (but with 21.47 shipping). Even at $42.97 for a genlock-able component/RGBs scan converter, that's a hell of a deal.
wcfields
Another one popped up on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-Emotia-Extreme-/230763571518

This one is the same as mine and you'll need to hack together an ATX PC power supply.
jdubs
Pm'd
fletch
How are you going to use it in your setup?
wcfields
fletch wrote:
How are you going to use it in your setup?

I use mine for playback. Since it can send out a genlocked color Component (or RGB) signal I can break it out and send it to the LZX as a color signal. I don't have the color input module so I go directly into the system and bump up the signal on the voltage bridge. I hook the yellow Composite out from the LZX to the Extron genlock to send the sync signal. Its wonky but it works until I can get the color module.

You can use any old laptop for video playback that has a VGA port. Probably the cheapest way to get a genlocked playback source. You can get an older Pioneer industrial DVD player cheap on eBay that has genLock but a laptop is more versatile for VJing.
porphyrion
mispost - brain fatigue! sorry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1