MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ID or WC # 2 !?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author ID or WC # 2 !?!
DGTom
Ok, so the subject sounds like I shoulda posted up on 'Changing Rooms' forum, but, this is a serious issue.

Since Blacet are sold out of Improb. Drives & I have a spot in my 9U Blacet case I'ver been thinking about putting a 2nd Window Comparator in help

At the moment I do really need a noise source, but, I've been thinking that the ID may not be that usefull to me. I will get a metalbox / CGS Digital Noise at some stage (soon) I have 2 MWs (one with scale quant.) & I have Lag / Slew elsewhere.

However, I ALWAYS use my Window Comparator & often have places where I could use another, altho less often now that I have the gate out on the Doepfer VC Decay, but thats not the same...

Who has both & can tell me I'm nuts, "wait for an ID"?
Never used the Improb. so I don't know what am I missing?

At the moment the suitcase has;
2 x VCOs
2 x uLFOs
2 x Binary Zones
Klangwerk
2 x Miniwaves
2 x EG1
2 x Dual VCA
Quad Mix VCA
Mixer Processor
Window Comparator

One issue that sticks w/ me is I know I will need to mod the ID to make best use of it, whereas the WC is 100% made of Win out of the box hmmm.....
parasitk
Wait for a Noise Ring.

razz
DGTom
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

But that will be in my other case next to my Joystick & imaginary JAG!

I know its irrational but I want all 9U to be Blacet (that way the pots make sense!)

You sold your ID right? Any particular reason?
parasitk
DGTom wrote:
You sold your ID right? Any particular reason?

Yeah I never used it. I use my Noise Ring all the time, and they kinda sorta overlap (or not?). It just didn't add anything unique to my setup.

Seriously though - There will be Frac Noise Rings again, and it's worth it. Knob orientation OCD be damned!

That said, I really want a Window Comparator badly. It's definitely my next Blacet module.
zerosum
I still haven't ordered a window comparator, but soon, soon I will.... w00t

So not having any experience with either(just interest), I want to see what someone does with 2 WC's!

Please get another one and make some more cool sounds!
DGTom
WC is in full effect in this vid!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5101&postdays=0&post order=asc&start=15

w00t

I'm thinking the ID may overlap w/ what I have / plan to build so might order a 2nd W/C as I know I will use it & added a 2nd ramp osc. adds more polyphony / multitambral options to this case.

Its not just the knob OCD, I just like the way Blacet modules work together both in form & function. They are looking super sexy w/ Davies clones on as well hyper
zerosum
SlayerBadger!
Kent
The Window Comparator is a hidden monster bad-ass gem. It took me a while to figure out and part of that is due to it being simple. I know that doesn't seem to make sense but it is far less inscrutable than I thought when approaching it.

Gate Delay
Distortion Box
Pseudo Frequency Divider or Multiplier
Burst Generator
Bong Loader...
Did I leave anything out?

I use the WC about 170 times more often than the ID.
Cat-A-Tonic
I too have pondered whether or not to get a second WC.
It'll have to wait in line though.
It is such an essential function-block sort of module.

The ID, on the other hand is all about integrated functions.
The most useful of which I find to be the VC LP/BP filter that colors the mixed noise output. *AWESOME*
The quantizer section on the S&H really deserves a panel mounted control to select scale.
The Improb.Drive derives it's digital noise via an integrated VC window comparator (I think it is processing the Analog White Noise in order to do this, but I'm not 100% sure).

The Window Comparator works well with the Improbability Drive to generate random gate events from the S&H.

Verdict:
*IF* you have
a WINDOW COMPARATOR,
a dedicated noise source or 2,
a dedicated S&H,
a scale quantizer ROM in your Mini-Wave (or another dedicated quantizer),
and a state variable (or higher order)VCF,
(and maybe a 2 in -> 1 out mixer)....
then you can patch up as much, or more than the ID...
but if you want all of this in a compact, preconfigured package than you might as well get the Improb. Drive.

I have the majority of these dedicated components to patch up something similar to an ID, but I'm still not ready to let mine go.
The VC filtered noise is really great for live tweaked percussion effects.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
I use the WC about 170 times more often than the ID.

This is (for the most part) true for me too.

Quote:
The Window Comparator is a hidden monster bad-ass gem.

Abso-fuckin-lutely love

Quote:
Gate Delay
Distortion Box
Pseudo Frequency Divider or Multiplier
Burst Generator
Bong Loader...
Did I leave anything out?

don't forget that the gateable, VC ramp oscillator (VCO/LFO) can be patched out separately WHILE using the Window Comp. section at the same time!
Put it through an inverter and you've got a saw!

The fuzz/distortion is definitely of the bit-reducing, 8-bit, oldschool nintendo/famicom variety.

Bong Loader Rasta-nana , Freq. Divider/Multiplier, Gate Delay... hmmm.....
I'm not quite sure how you've coaxed these functions out of it.
Please do enlighten us.
Guinness ftw!
Kwote
get the Metalbox if you really need a noise source. honestly man i don't see how you could live without a noise source. i have the NR and the ID and i'm very happy.

the NR has the best noise but i like the ID because i don't have to waist a filter on it since i usually do HP filtering with my noise.

not huge on the ID honestly but still happy with it. i use it as a high hat source mostly. it's output is too quiet though. have to boost it in the I/O.

it's S&H is cool but not on it's own. mix it with a quantized BZ and NR and you have a fuckin party!

w00t
scozbor
mfos noise cornucopia is great cheap noise source also. random gates, grainy noise, filtered noise etc. very easy build also.
Kent
Gate Delay is simple. Try this as a test to figure it out. If you have an LFO that can put out a Square wave and a Ramp/Saw wave, all the better.

Square wave or Gate into Level CV Input

Ramp or Saw into Ramp In

Adjust LEVEL & WINDOW to taste.

Meh.., decided to bust out a video for it.

Freq Divider. Just shove an audio signal in there (I've used it with kick drums) and adjust the knobs until you get some kind of cool low-end tone out of it. It's touchy as hell, but works.

If the diameter of the bowl on your bong is around the same size of the knobs that are used on Blacet gear... = Rasta-nana Jah Rastafari!!!

Which is why I own/use the real Frequency Divider. I like big bong loads.

---edit---

WC as Gate Delay all moneyshot
DGTom
Why did Mr. Blacet leave this important function out of the manual! Here I am using a chimp in a tux like a sucker! Sheesh!

For really tho, thanks for all the help guys grin

I think I may prefer more specific modules, but, having said that I am a fan of the Blacet Way so I can imagine the ID is a very cool module.

Kwote,

Yeah, not sure how I've gone without a proper noise source d'oh! All my drums where MPC, but the 8008 has changed that twisted Dunno if I wannd do loads of drums on the modular & I still manage to get lots of noise out of my system, the S&H wave from the MFB Dual LFO helps out.

scozbor,

good point! Will take a better look into that. One thing that really attracts me to the CGS Digital Noise is the Binary Clock Outs, but the MFOS looks like it adds a whole bunch - I especially like the idea of Grainy Noise.

Cat-A-Tonic,

thanks for breaking down the ID for me. I was totally overlooking the Filtered noise aspect of the ID.

Many things to consider...
fluxmonkey
scozbor wrote:
mfos noise cornucopia is great cheap noise source also. random gates, grainy noise, filtered noise etc. very easy build also.

+1 on the noise cornucopia, tho the CGS is an even easier build (no need to select transistor for noise). the MFOS and CGS complement each other nicely, but the Blacet has both digital and analog noize plus a built in filter and SH... so probably wins in the functional density dept.

noize ring is a completely different beast... buckets of awesome, but different.

b
parasitk
fluxmonkey wrote:
noize ring is a completely different beast... buckets of awesome, but different.

Than the ID? Yes and no. You have a white noise source, you can get digital noise sounds out of it, it'll do the sample and hold thing more or less, plus it does a lot more.

Than Noise Cornucopia? No idea, although I am thinking of building one of those for the 4U banana system I'm working on. Definitely looks cool!
zerosum
Quote:
Cat-A-Tonic,

thanks for breaking down the ID for me. I was totally overlooking the Filtered noise aspect of the ID.

Quote:
i like the ID because i don't have to waist a filter on it

Quote:
The ID, on the other hand is all about integrated functions.
The most useful of which I find to be the VC LP/BP filter that colors the mixed noise output. *AWESOME*

Yes all good points applause
The ID has a lot in it, takes some time to understand all of its uses, I'm still exploring, as a sound source, its a blast!
Cat-A-Tonic
cheers for posting the ID clip Zerosum.

You should do an ID vs. DarkStarChaos recording.
I imagine those two are good friends whe they aren't being bitter rivals.
zerosum
Quote:

You should do an ID vs. DarkStarChaos recording.

I have been triggering the darkscar with the ID, its been fun.
I'll get a demo up of WC,ID, and DSC together soon/soonish...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1